Post Reply
Page 14 of 14  •  Prev 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14
Switch to Forum Live View Honor Killings are NOT Islamic
2 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2012 - 11:08AM #131
rocketjsquirell
Posts: 15,305

Ibn


If you are required to have respect for what was revealed to Jews, why do you have no respect for what was revealed to Jews. It is not respectful to deny the history/founding mythology of the Jewish people outlined in torah, it is not respectful to deny G-d's covenant with the Jewish people as set forth in the Torah, it is not respectful to most of the claims you make about Jews and Judaism.


I really wish you would take the advise you have quoted.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2012 - 8:05PM #132
Ibn
Posts: 4,465

Feb 8, 2012 -- 11:08AM, rocketjsquirell wrote:


Ibn


If you are required to have respect for what was revealed to Jews, why do you have no respect for what was revealed to Jews.


Of course I respect what was revealed to Moses for Children of Israel who were later called Jews when the Qur'an was revealed. 


Feb 8, 2012 -- 11:08AM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

It is not respectful to deny the history/founding mythology of the Jewish people outlined in torah, it is not respectful to deny G-d's covenant with the Jewish people as set forth in the Torah, it is not respectful to most of the claims you make about Jews and Judaism.


I really wish you would take the advise you have quoted.



  I am not sure what you are complaining about.

I know one thing: There are a billion Islamic people in the world today, and there will be about 2 billion by the time we're dead. They're not going to give up their religion.
(Chris Matthews)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2012 - 7:17AM #133
JRT
Posts: 339

The concept of "honour killing"is part of the western European tradition too. It was less than 200 years ago that men killed each other in duels. The problem with such actions as duels, honour killings, female genital mutilation etc is cultural/tribal not religious.Patriarchy might very well be the greatest evil that humanity has ever inflicted on itself.

the floggings will continue until morale improves
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2012 - 9:52AM #134
JAstor
Posts: 3,957

Feb 9, 2012 -- 7:17AM, JRT wrote:


The concept of "honour killing"is part of the western European tradition too. It was less than 200 years ago that men killed each other in duels. The problem with such actions as duels, honour killings, female genital mutilation etc is cultural/tribal not religious.Patriarchy might very well be the greatest evil that humanity has ever inflicted on itself.




Honor killing on this thread is not just killing for the sake of honor, which has many variations. The specific meaning here is killing one's immediate female family members for a perceived slight on the family honor. Even if she was raped. That's not part of western tradition. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2012 - 11:08AM #135
Shusha
Posts: 4,345

Even if she was raped. That's not part of western tradition.


Well, yes and no, JAstor.  Its true that western tradition doesn't attach family honor to rape (or sexual activity of the female).  But western culture does hold the target (when the target is female) responsible for her own rape, as though she had a hand in causing it.  Western society, both in and out of the court system, routinely blames the woman for dressing too provocatively, or being out at night, or going to a man's hotel room, or being drunk, or being sexually active, or having multiple partners, as contributing factors in her rape.  It is a continuing battle to overcome this culture.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2012 - 10:06PM #136
Miraj
Posts: 5,021

Feb 9, 2012 -- 7:17AM, JRT wrote:


The concept of "honour killing"is part of the western European tradition too. It was less than 200 years ago that men killed each other in duels. The problem with such actions as duels, honour killings, female genital mutilation etc is cultural/tribal not religious.Patriarchy might very well be the greatest evil that humanity has ever inflicted on itself.




Welcome, JRT.  Those are very good points.  One reason why honor killing is found across cultures is because paternalism is the most dominant element in most cultures.  You're also right that there is more than one type of honor killing and all are base and vile.

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.


PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 14 of 14  •  Prev 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook