Page 12 of 14  •  Prev 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Honor Killings are NOT Islamic
3 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2012 - 4:13PM #111
Miraj

Feb 7, 2012 -- 3:51PM, browbeaten wrote:

Of course she is, you just told us so.  Should I have the Mufti of Jerusalem consult you first when he decides to speak for Islam?

Ok, then, I can authoritatively speak for Judaism.  Thank you for reminding me.  I'll get right on that.

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2012 - 6:07PM #112
rocketjsquirell

Who are we talking about as a spokesman for Islam? 

And, no Miraj, you can not speak for Judaism. As far as I have been able to tell you do not know a blessed thing about Judaism. This is not a reflection on you, there really is no need for you to know all that much about Judaism since you are not Jewish.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2012 - 6:25PM #113
Ibn

What happened to "Judaism". I can't find mention of it in any of the OT books. Has it been made subject of honor killing by the scribes?

I know one thing: There are a billion Islamic people in the world today, and there will be about 2 billion by the time we're dead. They're not going to give up their religion.
(Chris Matthews)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2012 - 6:30PM #114
rangerken

Feb 7, 2012 -- 5:02AM, Miraj wrote:

Honor killings are not a part of Islam, but if you don't know much about Islam, and it's clear that you don't, you are easily swayed by anti-Islam propaganda.  Anti-Islam propaganda is challenged on this pro-Islam board.

Feb 7, 2012 -- 12:22AM, docwitchy wrote:

Honor killings may not be 'Islamic' but they definitely are a part of Islam. So is the mistreatment of women in full accordance with Islamic law and tradition.

The Mistreatment of Women in Muslim Countries

I'm interested in knowing what, if anything, anyone sees in the linked article that is not true. I don't find a thing that is not factual. And the article does deal with honor killings and so is very much on the topic of this thread.

Mariah

Of course what is considered to be anti-Islam propaganda should be challenged. However, I don't see anyone responding directly to what Docwitchy asks. I read the linked article. All of it makes sense to me. So, what in the aticle, meaning exactly what, do people wish to disagree about? It's a fair question, and totally appropriate on this discuss Islam forum. And it is clearly on the thread's topic. That's my opinion. Also, Docwitchy was a Muslim so I don't think one can say that she dpoesn't know much about Islam. Obviously she knew enough about it to decide to leave it.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2012 - 6:49PM #115
Miraj

Feb 7, 2012 -- 6:07PM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

And, no Miraj, you can not speak for Judaism. As far as I have been able to tell you do not know a blessed thing about Judaism. This is not a reflection on you, there really is no need for you to know all that much about Judaism since you are not Jewish.

Why not?  Non-Muslims are constantly nominating non-Muslims to speak for Islam.  I can speak for Judaism, and I know more about it than you think.

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2012 - 6:54PM #116
rangerken

Feb 7, 2012 -- 6:49PM, Miraj wrote:

Why not?  Non-Muslims are constantly nominating non-Muslims to speak for Islam.  I can speak for Judaism, and I know more about it than you think.

I do think that when it comes to any religion, whereas it's fine for non-believers to be critical, it is and should be up to believers of any faith, and on this board this means Muslims, to speak for Muslims rehading what Muslims believe. The rest of us can of course criticize and attack beliefs BUT, we do not have he standing to speak for Muslims. Only they do.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2012 - 6:57PM #117
Miraj

Feb 7, 2012 -- 6:30PM, rangerken wrote:

Of course what is considered to be anti-Islam propaganda should be challenged. However, I don't see anyone responding directly to what Docwitchy asks. I read the linked article. All of it makes sense to me. So, what in the aticle, meaning exactly what, do people wish to disagree about? It's a fair question, and totally appropriate on this discuss Islam forum. And it is clearly on the thread's topic. That's my opinion. Also, Docwitchy was a Muslim so I don't think one can say that she dpoesn't know much about Islam. Obviously she knew enough about it to decide to leave it.

Ken

I read it, too.  It was stuck on stupid from the start, but that's hard to know if you haven't lived in several Muslim countries, and especially, if you don't know their laws.  I've worked as a lawyer in most of Muslim countries from Asia to Africa, and their description of their legal systems is bogus.  It speaks of them as a monolith, then it speaks of "Islamic culture", no such thing exists.  It made no sense at all.

Second, just as there are Jews who don't know Judaism and Christians who never read the Bible, there are Muslims and ex-Muslims who don't know their faith, too.  In fact, too many converts to Islam who used to be Christians have a very hateful response to their old faith.  I have to teach them the beauty to be found in it.  You don't leave a faith you love.  I know Islam well enough to stay.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2012 - 7:00PM #118
Miraj

Feb 7, 2012 -- 6:54PM, rangerken wrote:

Feb 7, 2012 -- 6:49PM, Miraj wrote:

I do think that when it comes to any religion, whereas it's fine for non-believers to be critical, it is and should be up to believers of any faith, and on this board this means Muslims, to speak for Muslims rehading what Muslims believe. The rest of us can of course criticize and attack beliefs BUT, we do not have he standing to speak for Muslims. Only they do.

Ken

I know you believe that and I appreciate it, but, in reality, most non-Muslims get their information about Islam and Muslims from shady sources.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2012 - 7:01PM #119
rocketjsquirell

One way to confirm that honor killings are not supported by Islam is to see what Islamic Scholars have to say. The ones in Canada are pretty clear about the point.

Canadian imams issue fatwa against honor killings

TORONTO — Muslim clerics in Canada have issued a fatwa against so-called “honor killings” a week after three members of an Afghan family in Montreal were convicted of the murders of four relatives.

The religious decree — only the third of its kind in Canada — also prohibits domestic violence and hatred of women. It was issued on Saturday (Feb. 4) on the eve of Mawlid an-Nabi, the Prophet Muhammad’s birthday.

“These crimes are major sins in Islam, punishable by the court of law and almighty Allah,” said Imam Syed Soharwardy of Calgary, representing 34 clerics affiliated with the Islamic Supreme Council of Canada.

“There is no justification for honor killings, domestic violence and misogyny in Islam,” Soharwardy added.

full article:
www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-faith...

That should clear up the matter.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2012 - 7:02PM #120
Miraj

Feb 7, 2012 -- 7:01PM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

One way to confirm that honor killings are not supported by Islam is to see what Islamic Scholars have to say. The ones in Canada are pretty clear about the point.

Canadian imams issue fatwa against honor killings

TORONTO — Muslim clerics in Canada have issued a fatwa against so-called “honor killings” a week after three members of an Afghan family in Montreal were convicted of the murders of four relatives.

The religious decree — only the third of its kind in Canada — also prohibits domestic violence and hatred of women. It was issued on Saturday (Feb. 4) on the eve of Mawlid an-Nabi, the Prophet Muhammad’s birthday.

“These crimes are major sins in Islam, punishable by the court of law and almighty Allah,” said Imam Syed Soharwardy of Calgary, representing 34 clerics affiliated with the Islamic Supreme Council of Canada.

“There is no justification for honor killings, domestic violence and misogyny in Islam,” Soharwardy added.

full article:
www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-faith...

That should clear up the matter.

Ahem lol

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 12 of 14  •  Prev 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook