Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Hajj show seeks to lift veil on key Islamic ritual
3 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2012 - 5:06PM #1
rocketjsquirell
I didn't know where else to post this. Hope it is ok to post it here. 

Has anyone been?

What is it like? (besides crowded) 

There was a show on PBs a few years ago about the Haj it was very interesting. 

Maybe the British Museaum will put this show on the road for those of us who can not go.

Hajj show seeks to lift veil on key Islamic ritual  

LONDON — Billed as the first major exhibition devoted to the annual pilgrimage to Mecca, "Hajj: journey at the heart of Islam" at the British Museum aims to lift the veil on a ritual that is a mystery to many in the non-Muslim world.

Curators also said they hoped the show, which runs from January 26 — April 15 at the London venue, would be visited by Muslims as well as non-Muslims who are not allowed to join the Hajj.

"People who don't believe in the religion of Islam aren't allowed [on the Hajj] and therefore know very little, but you'd be surprised how little Muslims know about the history of the Hajj also," said Qaisra Khan, co-curator of the exhibition.

. . .

full article:

jordantimes.com/hajj-show-seeks-to-lift-...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2012 - 3:37AM #2
Ibn

Thanks rocketjsquirell.

Of course it is interesting to all who see it on TV every year but a show in London would be nothing like the real experiencce. They will never create anything like Hajj unless they can bring the Kaaba to London and get three millions people to actually pray around it altogether, all facing the middle of it. Then there is question of plains of Arafat about four miles from Kaaba in Makkah city where the actual day of Hajj is spent by all Hajjaj. How are they going to create that scene?

Hajj experience is something that cannot be described properly; it can only be experienced. It's a unique experience, and the happiest day in a Muslim's life.

I know one thing: There are a billion Islamic people in the world today, and there will be about 2 billion by the time we're dead. They're not going to give up their religion.
(Chris Matthews)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2012 - 10:40AM #3
rocketjsquirell

So i guess it is sort of like going to the Kotel is for Jews. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2012 - 12:51PM #4
Ibn

Jan 26, 2012 -- 10:40AM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

So i guess it is sort of like going to the Kotel is for Jews. 

I don't think it is sort of going to the Kotel. To Muslims, it is one of the five fundamental pillars of their faith and a Command from their Lord that they must obey once in their lifetime - if they are able to obey both in terms of health and wealth. The spiritual benefits of Hajj are life-changing. As I stated earlier on, the experience is unique and impossible to describe. If I do try to describe it, it would be like you dying, seeing what happens in the after life experience, and then being born again.

If you feel like that at the Kotel then I should imagine it is sort of like being released from the Egyptian captivity, going on to the Mt. Sinai, your spirit receiving G-d's blessings and then walking on all the way to the Kotel. How would you feel after such an experience?

I know one thing: There are a billion Islamic people in the world today, and there will be about 2 billion by the time we're dead. They're not going to give up their religion.
(Chris Matthews)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2012 - 3:10PM #5
rocketjsquirell

Sounds like pretty much the same thing. Of course, I can't go on the Haj so I will never be able to compare. And, it is unlikely that were I able to go on the Haj that it would have the same experience since I am not Muslim (which brings me back to not being able to go). Luckily, I can go to the Kotel since it is in Jerusalem the eternal and undivided capital of Israel and the people Israel (the Jewish people). 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2012 - 6:07PM #6
Miraj

There have been several documentaries done on the Hajj and each year it's covered by live webcam on the Internet.  Still, Ibn is right, it has to be experienced because it's beyond description.  It can literally totally change people, as evidenced by the metamorphasis of Malcolm X, as portrayed in his autobiography.

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2012 - 6:42PM #7
Ibn

Jan 26, 2012 -- 3:10PM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

Sounds like pretty much the same thing. Of course, I can't go on the Haj so I will never be able to compare. And, it is unlikely that were I able to go on the Haj that it would have the same experience since I am not Muslim (which brings me back to not being able to go). Luckily, I can go to the Kotel since it is in Jerusalem the eternal and undivided capital of Israel and the people Israel (the Jewish people). 

If you think that Hajj is pretty much the same as going to the "capital of Israel" then it isn't anything like that. It is nothing like going to "any capital". Hajj is more like presenting your whole self in front of the Almighty G-d and completely forgetting about any capital or any people whether Israelis or Brummies.  

(Chris Matthews)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2012 - 6:53PM #8
rocketjsquirell

Ibn

The Kotel is in Israel, it is part of Israel and the Jewish people, we pray facing towards it, it is the center of the universe, the naval of the world, - so yeah, I think it is the same thing. Going to Jerusalem to shop is one thing, going to the Kotel is a whole other thing. :-)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2012 - 7:09PM #9
Ibn

Jan 26, 2012 -- 6:53PM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

Ibn

The Kotel is in Israel, it is part of Israel and the Jewish people, we pray facing towards it, it is the center of the universe, the naval of the world, - so yeah, I think it is the same thing. Going to Jerusalem to shop is one thing, going to the Kotel is a whole other thing. :-)

rocketjsquirell,

I do understand and respect your feelings. I am glad for you that you pray facing the naval of the world and center of the universe.

As for Hajj, perhaps the clip from YouTube might help:

muslimvideo.com/tv/watch/04e341ac06bdb07... 

(Chris Matthews)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2012 - 7:45PM #10
Lilwabbit

Ibn my friend,

Perhaps you could share a little about your own hajj experience, as inadequate as words are? What kind of prayers you prayed there, and what was the general nature of the spiritual transformation you experienced? In other words, what kind of a man were you before the hajj and after the hajj in your own estimation? But if it's too personal to share in public, I fully understand.

Kindly,

Your friend Wabbit

"All things have I willed for you, and you too, for your own sake."
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook