Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Church and State.....
3 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2012 - 6:21PM #21
davelaw40

I suspect his giving to the Church is a tax dodge

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 28, 2012 - 11:59AM #22
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Jan 27, 2012 -- 6:21PM, davelaw40 wrote:

I suspect his giving to the Church is a tax dodge

On what grounds?

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 28, 2012 - 12:05PM #23
davelaw40

nothing concrete

but the LDS has been accused in the past of sometimes acting as a phoney Charitable Trust in a tax sense-you give the LDS money to lower your tax burden and they funnel it back to you when you need it

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2012 - 10:45AM #24
TPaine

According to an article in the Huffington Post, the tithes Mormon give are used like a welfare system providing for those in the church who are in need. Link

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2012 - 2:02PM #25
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Jan 28, 2012 -- 12:05PM, davelaw40 wrote:

nothing concrete

but the LDS has been accused in the past of sometimes acting as a phoney Charitable Trust in a tax sense-you give the LDS money to lower your tax burden and they funnel it back to you when you need it

Couldn't various non-Mormon Churches be accused of the same?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2012 - 9:02PM #26
davelaw40

of course

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2012 - 4:41PM #27
allthegoodnamesweretaken

So with nothing concrete isn't it kind of silly to state that because one person could be doing it,  that's a reason not to vote for him, when the reality is that it's not different for any of the candidates?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2012 - 1:52PM #28
davelaw40

I think its more like to happen with the LDS -I will freely admit I am biased

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2012 - 6:38AM #29
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Ok.  Persoanal bias is one thing.  What I had seen was the argument that people were making that a person shouldn't vote for him because he is Mormon. 

Persoanally, I'm not a big fan of LDS either, but tend to lump them into the general heading of "Christian" anyway.  It wouldn't stop me from voting for a candidate. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2012 - 8:03AM #30
davelaw40

Feb 3, 2012 -- 6:38AM, allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:

Ok.  Persoanal bias is one thing.  What I had seen was the argument that people were making that a person shouldn't vote for him because he is Mormon. 

Persoanally, I'm not a big fan of LDS either, but tend to lump them into the general heading of "Christian" anyway.  It wouldn't stop me from voting for a candidate. 

I think its a tad more specific; its basically an in house argument. If you are an evangelical Christian and think the Country would be better with more people like your self in office; Mormon's are not evangelical Christians.

Its a funny road because, Evangelicals often disagree on who is in their group (do Charismatics qualify?) and end up compromising by putting conservative Catholics in power which is extreme irony for those are the people that were burning the ancestors of the evangelicals back in the old country

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook