Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View KT Gov. Budget Plan Cuts College Funding - Preserves Tax Break For Bible Park
3 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2012 - 5:36PM #1
TPaine
Talk about misplaced priorities, Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear's proposed budget cuts $286 million from the 2012-13 state budget including a 6.4% cut to the higher education system and, due to this years low population growth estimate, in effect cuts of $50 million to the funding formula for grades K-12. However, there will be no cut to the $43 million in tax breaks granted to the builders of the Bible themed Ark Encounter amusment park nor to the $11 million to improve the highway interchange near the park. Link

Since when are tax breaks to a privately owned amusement park featuring a 500 foot by 75 foot replica of Noah's Ark more important than the education of the state's children?
"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2012 - 6:02PM #2
mytmouse57

Because the Ark replica IS education for the state's children. Wink

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2012 - 7:56PM #3
TPaine

Jan 20, 2012 -- 6:02PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Because the Ark replica IS education for the state's children.

But, The Creation Museum is only 40 miles away and they even have a dinosaur kids can ride. Can't they get their education there and save the state money? Tongue Out

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2012 - 8:08PM #4
Ironhold

My guess is that they're hoping the park will serve as a tourist trap, and that as such the state will be able to reap additional taxes (both sales and other) from the various tourists that pass on through.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2012 - 8:49PM #5
jane2

Jan 20, 2012 -- 8:08PM, Ironhold wrote:

My guess is that they're hoping the park will serve as a tourist trap, and that as such the state will be able to reap additional taxes (both sales and other) from the various tourists that pass on through.

Maybe they live too far from Disney World.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2012 - 9:08PM #6
farragut

Just across the river Cincinnati has an excellent science museum.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2012 - 9:33PM #7
TemplarS

This sort of thing- tax breaks and incentives for developers- is the norm.

This case has garnered attention only because- well, the development in question is so...unique.

Anyhow, these guys are pikers.  Here in NJ we've got this development project underway called Xanadu, sort of an amusement park/shopping mall- with tax breaks north of $200 million.  Like we don't have enough malls already in the state?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2012 - 9:46PM #8
jane2

Jan 20, 2012 -- 9:33PM, TemplarS wrote:

This sort of thing- tax breaks and incentives for developers- is the norm.

This case has garnered attention only because- well, the development in question is so...unique.

Anyhow, these guys are pikers.  Here in NJ we've got this development project underway called Xanadu, sort of an amusement park/shopping mall- with tax breaks north of $200 million.  Like we don't have enough malls already in the state?

;0 ...................................luv this one, Templar

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2012 - 9:57PM #9
REteach

Alas, my poor granddaughter!

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2012 - 10:00PM #10
farragut

Kubla Khan Konstruction, neh?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook