Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View The accomadating atheist...
3 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2011 - 3:42PM #21
mountain_man

Dec 8, 2011 -- 2:34PM, shirleyj227 wrote:

Dec 5, 2011 -- 3:30PM, mountain_man wrote:

As Ken pointed out in another thread; the Golden Rules applies. If an Atheist becomes disrespectful, then that must be the way they wanted to be treated themselves.

But what if you do it first?

I don't.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2011 - 3:50PM #22
Bob_the_Lunatic

Dec 8, 2011 -- 2:56PM, shirleyj227 wrote:

Dec 5, 2011 -- 7:28PM, Bob_the_Lunatic wrote:

To me it really depends Shirley. 

Generally I keep it to myself, but if someone asks, I tell them exactly what I am and am not.  Or if it comes up.

I have many religious clients, 20% of them are LDS.  So I have to be careful what I say in business.  I see no reason to say rude things to them-until they have crossed the line.

Do the LDS ask Bob and if so how do you deal with it? I mean it is 20 percent of your income.

Shirley

No Shirley, they tend not to ask.  Most LDS (mind you, not the ones on bnet lol) are very polite and mind their own business-they are unlike the other christians I know, much more "live and let live" oriented.  Also, I never said they were "20% of my income", I said 20% of my clients-there is not a 1.0 correlation between client % and income %... rather business would say the 80/20 rule or even 90/10 rule would apply (that most of the income comes from a 10% minority, in many cases from 1-3 clients...). 

And I already answered the latter part of the question, I answer honestly and let the chips fall where they may.  For example, one time I was dealing with the Moose organization, they hired me, and then of course wanted me to join-I agreed.  Upon taking the application home, I realized it required me to affirm a belief in a Supreme Being.  This was a $75,000 contract-but a simple choice for me:  I went in, talked to the head of the organization, telling him I could not agree to this-so either I couldn't be a member or I'd have to edit the application, or simply cross that part out, etc....  Even though I knew I might risk the paycheck over revealing my atheistic beliefs....

My best friend is LDS and also one of my clients...  not really an issue, but I see no reason to bring it up until they do-after all, It's business, not church.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2011 - 4:07PM #23
shirleyj227

Dec 8, 2011 -- 3:50PM, Bob_the_Lunatic wrote:

Upon taking the application home, I realized it required me to affirm a belief in a Supreme Being.  This was a $75,000 contract-but a simple choice for me:  I went in, talked to the head of the organization, telling him I could not agree to this-so either I couldn't be a member or I'd have to edit the application, or simply cross that part out, etc....  Even though I knew I might risk the paycheck over revealing my atheistic beliefs....

I am proud of you Bob. You did well. Well done.Smile

Shirley

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 30, 2011 - 3:21PM #24
Ken

Dec 30, 2011 -- 2:57PM, Aka_me wrote:

Dec 8, 2011 -- 3:14PM, shirleyj227 wrote:

Dec 6, 2011 -- 1:46PM, Aka_me wrote:

however... there does exist somewhere in this country a type of post traumatic stress disorder bias against, or hatred of God, and ALL things religious. with no ability and no desire to try differenting religious from spiritual and simply stereotyping EVERYTHING into one hated group.

What percentage would you say of all atheists suffer from this AKA?

Shirley

I didn't see this till now.

a minority to be sure, just like funeral protesters are a minority.

the smaller a group is... the more vocal they become to get attention, yappin chihuahua syndrom as I call it.

which is the motivating drive behind the New Atheist group.

If you religious types want atheists to shut up, why don't you try shutting up for a few decades? You've been yap-yap-yapping for thousands of years, and you never have anything new or interesting to say.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 30, 2011 - 6:45PM #25
Ken

Dec 30, 2011 -- 5:18PM, Aka_me wrote:

Dec 30, 2011 -- 3:21PM, Ken wrote:

If you religious types want atheists to shut up, why don't you try shutting up for a few decades? You've been yap-yap-yapping for thousands of years, and you never have anything new or interesting to say.

if I were to invite you to quote me saying anything to the effect of "conversion is necessary"...

you'd never complete the search to deliver on the invitation.

By "you," I meant "you religious types." You want atheists to shut up? Then you shut up first. Of course, you won't. And atheists won't either. We're going to say anything we like as much as we like and whenever we like, and you can't stop us. So the next time you're tempted to complain, save your breath.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 30, 2011 - 9:11PM #26
JCarlin

if I were to invite you to quote me saying anything to the effect of "conversion is necessary"...

Ken said nothing about proselytizing, and "conversion is necessary" is certainly not the only form of proselytizing.  Your BS is BS is as much proselytizing as "conversion is necessary."  All Ken is saying is clean your own stable before complaining about the stable down the street. 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 30, 2011 - 9:47PM #27
Ken

Dec 30, 2011 -- 9:11PM, JCarlin wrote:

Ken said nothing about proselytizing, and "conversion is necessary" is certainly not the only form of proselytizing.  Your BS is BS is as much proselytizing as "conversion is necessary."  All Ken is saying is clean your own stable before complaining about the stable down the street. 

Yup. That's it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2011 - 1:08AM #28
chevy956

AKA-me said:
the smaller a group is... the more vocal they become to get attention, yappin chihuahua syndrom as I call it

>>>>You mean like the Bahai's who come in here?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2011 - 1:15AM #29
mainecaptain

Right on Target Chevy!

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook