Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
3 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2011 - 5:18PM #1
Marcion

technorati.com/technology/article/matter...

Having spent 40 years as an experimental physics I prefer experimental results to pontificating by cosmologists who write for the unwashed masses.

Moderated by Stardove on Nov 19, 2011 - 07:10PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2011 - 5:29PM #2
mountain_man

Still not good enough. You still don't have the level of proof necessary to kill off your real enemy; Hawking.

Moderated by Stardove on Nov 19, 2011 - 07:11PM
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2011 - 5:31PM #3
costrel

Nov 19, 2011 -- 5:18PM, Marcion wrote:

Having spent 40 years as an experimental physics I prefer experimental results to pontificating by cosmologists who write for the unwashed masses.

If you've spent 40 years in experimental physics you should be able to cite something from a peer-reviewed academic journal rather than from a "dot com" website. 

Moderated by Stardove on Nov 19, 2011 - 07:13PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2011 - 6:16PM #4
Marcion

Nov 19, 2011 -- 5:31PM, costrel wrote:

If you've spent 40 years in experimental physics you should be able to cite something from a peer-reviewed academic journal rather than from a "dot com" website. 

I have been retired for three years and am enjoying myself by traveling; right now I am on the island of Maui for a month. 

Mypurpose for posting is that I feel we are on the verge of new physics - long overdue.

I did my part, now leave it to the next generation to break new ground., i am mentoring  high school students who intend to pursue a career in science.

Moderated by Stardove on Nov 19, 2011 - 07:14PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2011 - 6:38PM #5
TemplarS

Nov 19, 2011 -- 6:16PM, Marcion wrote:

Mypurpose for posting is that I feel we are on the verge of new physics - long overdue.

The current state of physics is certainly unsatisfactory.  The vast majority of the stuff of the cosmos is so-called dark energy and dark matter, which we do not understand.  String theory (which some argue is not a true scientific hypothesis at all) and its equivalents are still being worked with no end in sight in terms of a demonstrable connection to reality. The elusive Higgs remains elusive.

Time for a new physics?  You may be right.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2011 - 9:38PM #6
Marcion

Nov 19, 2011 -- 6:38PM, TemplarS wrote:

Nov 19, 2011 -- 6:16PM, Marcion wrote:

The current state of physics is certainly unsatisfactory.  The vast majority of the stuff of the cosmos is so-called dark energy and dark matter, which we do not understand.  String theory (which some argue is not a true scientific hypothesis at all) and its equivalents are still being worked with no end in sight in terms of a demonstrable connection to reality. The elusive Higgs remains elusive.

Time for a new physics?  You may be right.

Templar

I consider string theory as  ad hoc  at best.

I was deeply involved in photon entanglement before I retired; I still try to  keep in touch but if you are not there day to day people tend to forget you.

To repeat myself experiments mean what they say, even a negative result produces information.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2011 - 12:48AM #7
Wanderingal

"New"  Physics?
What for?

Isn't it the job of every branch of science to come up with new data that modifies and alters the previous data and explanations and ideas?

Physicists need to just keep doing their jobs and not spend so much time tooting their horns and touting their "newest" sciences.

Research and publish and teach.

That's the job of every scientist claiming to be doing research.

Moderated by Merope on Nov 28, 2011 - 01:11AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2011 - 10:31AM #8
Faustus5

Duly noted.

Also duly noted is your inability to articulate a single thing these cosmologists have gotten wrong scientifically in the particular "pontificating" to which you are so opposed.

Moderated by Merope on Nov 28, 2011 - 01:12AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2011 - 12:17PM #9
mountain_man

Nov 19, 2011 -- 9:38PM, Marcion wrote:

I consider string theory as  ad hoc  at best.

The Argument From Authority is never accepted in the scientific community, so why should we accept hit here? Many real scientists, with credentials that match yours, consider string theory to be promising. Can you give any explanation as to why we should believe you and not them?

And leave out the Hawking attacks. They don't help.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2011 - 2:04PM #10
Marcion

Nov 20, 2011 -- 10:31AM, Faustus5 wrote:

Duly noted.

Also duly noted is your inability to articulate a single thing these cosmologists have gotten wrong scientifically in the particular "pontificating" to which you are so opposed.

We have been consistently wrong about our own solar system and dare to claim knowledge of the universe.

Isn't the UCLA team debunking Hawkings wager a proof for you?

Moderated by Merope on Nov 28, 2011 - 01:14AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook