Switch to Forum Live View I missed my calling
3 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2011 - 11:54PM #1
Earthquakequeen64
I was meant to be a teacher. When I was a very young girl I wanted to be a teacher and would play school with my dolls. I planned to go to college to become an elementary school teacher. Then there was a problem that schools were closing and a teacher I liked very much lost his job due to lack of tenure. The real problem was that my mother told me she didn't like teachers so I did not study to be a teacher, instead I went into communications. That was not a good field for me and I have spent my "career" in entry level jobs. At one time I was an accomplished word processor but now they don't have word processors anymore and I do whatever I can get hired for, even though I am a college graduate plus the equivalent of two more years beyond that. At this time going back to school is not an option. I am nearing retirement age and I do not want to delay my retirement and I do not want a big loan to pay back in retirement. I am pretty certain that my Heavenly Father is disappointed that I did not fulfil the work that He had for me. Any comments? Perhaps I can do some volunteer work after retirement but I will not ever be the teacher that I was meant to be. Perhaps I can be a teacher in the Millennium. I'm sure they will be needed. Still I am afraid that I have really made Heavenly Father angry with me because I failed to do this work I was sent to do.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2011 - 1:02AM #2
withwonderingawe

Nov 10, 2011 -- 11:54PM, Earthquakequeen64 wrote:

I was meant to be a teacher. When I was a very young girl I wanted to be a teacher and would play school with my dolls. I planned to go to college to become an elementary school teacher. Then there was a problem that schools were closing and a teacher I liked very much lost his job due to lack of tenure. The real problem was that my mother told me she didn't like teachers so I did not study to be a teacher, instead I went into communications. That was not a good field for me and I have spent my "career" in entry level jobs. At one time I was an accomplished word processor but now they don't have word processors anymore and I do whatever I can get hired for, even though I am a college graduate plus the equivalent of two more years beyond that. At this time going back to school is not an option. I am nearing retirement age and I do not want to delay my retirement and I do not want a big loan to pay back in retirement. I am pretty certain that my Heavenly Father is disappointed that I did not fulfil the work that He had for me. Any comments? Perhaps I can do some volunteer work after retirement but I will not ever be the teacher that I was meant to be. Perhaps I can be a teacher in the Millennium. I'm sure they will be needed. Still I am afraid that I have really made Heavenly Father angry with me because I failed to do this work I was sent to do.

Hello glad you joined our little group.

Except for the student loans I’d say go for it. It’s never to late to have a second career and the Lord told us to get as much education as we can. Knowledge is the only thing we take with us into the next life.

My hubby retires on the 15th of January but he’s got some personal leave coming to him so after Christmas break he has to go back for one final day,

Yippee!

Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2011 - 3:30PM #3
MMCSFOX

I am pretty certain that my Heavenly Father is disappointed that I did not fulfil the work that He had for me. Any comments? Perhaps I can do some volunteer work after retirement but I will not ever be the teacher that I was meant to be.”

I am pretty certain that our Heavenly Father is proud and pleased of all of those who survive this earthly experience and remain faithful. Most of us have not been able to do all of the things that we have wanted to do here, yet I think that we have mostly done the things that NEEDED to be done. Even at 73 I do not have the time to do those things that I had looked forward to in retirement because I found different needed things to be involved in, that I enjoy that will help others in the process. I always wanted to go back to playing the Alto Saxophone after I got out of the Navy but family and work interfered. Now I still do not have time for that.  Ask around what others are doing, not only in Church but with those involved outside of Church. Some things come only once a year like our City Halloween for kids at the Park and some High School Post-Prom alcohol free parties. Yet there are still many PTA functions that always need volunteers. There are many civic groups that do not cost a lot of money to belong, so just keep looking until you find something that you feel good about. Also welcome to the LDS Forum.

Jesse F.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook