Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Should Church Property Accumulation Be Taxed?
3 years ago  ::  Oct 25, 2011 - 6:12PM #11
Hoppy393

Oct 25, 2011 -- 5:48PM, Esdraelon wrote:

The mega-churches are obviously exploiting the status. $800 billion in land and property holdings is doing exactly what to serve the furtherance of the dictates of Jesus Christ?

Well... that's by the entire American RC church.

There's a church that's moving off-campus ministries back home - a move that will increase efficiency.  Plans are to build a large food pantry and an auto-repair facility, along with smaller office settings for financial services.  That's going to cost a pretty penny in the short run, and increase net holdings beyond what people think is appropriate for a church.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 25, 2011 - 6:35PM #12
Esdraelon

Oct 25, 2011 -- 6:06PM, Hoppy393 wrote:

Oct 25, 2011 -- 3:33PM, Esdraelon wrote:

It has been said that the Vatican has accumulated a vast amount of property and other holdings in the United States in excess of $800 Billion, sic, no one knows exactly how much.

'Bishops' of huge 'mega-churches' are showing off their fleet s of Rolls and other exotic automobiles.

All tax free.

All things considered, if the church cannot show that its temporal holdings are not furthering the purpose of the church, should these holdings be taxed?

I think it would be difficult to properly evaluate.  A fleet of Rolls Royces is one thing, but a fleet of church vans or shuttles is another.  Is it a cafe or a fellowship hall with coffee?  Rectories are becoming increasingly rare, but how would they be classified? 

Yes, it would be difficult. I don't think anyone has any problem with a vast fleet of church vans or shuttles....I'm talking more to the likes of the Vatican Bank, which is a veritable slumlord. Rectories are part of the church, no problem. it's vast landholdings specifically as can be noted by the Vatican, etcetra etcetra...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 25, 2011 - 6:37PM #13
Esdraelon

Oct 25, 2011 -- 6:12PM, Hoppy393 wrote:

The mega-churches are obviously exploiting the status. $800 billion in land and property holdings is doing exactly what to serve the furtherance of the dictates of Jesus Christ?

Well... that's by the entire American RC church.

There's a church that's moving off-campus ministries back home - a move that will increase efficiency.  Plans are to build a large food pantry and an auto-repair facility, along with smaller office settings for financial services.  That's going to cost a pretty penny in the short run, and increase net holdings beyond what people think is appropriate for a church.

I guess it depends upon what one believes is the mission of the church..to further the gospel of Jesus Christ or simply be a social thing...or become cities within themselves....would Christ even recognize such?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 25, 2011 - 9:57PM #14
Iwantamotto

Ed.W:  Are there other charities you'd like to see paying taxes?

Churches can DO charity, but they are "God businesses".  You pay for membership, you sign up for all the goodies from said membership, and if you don't follow policy, you're out with no refund.

True, Jesus never earned a dime (or, at least, we never see Him do so) and paid taxes by basically raiding couch cushions, so to speak, but He DID pay.  And yet churches don't want to give to Caesar what is Caesar's, as Jesus told them to.  Living the high life can't possibly be labeled "charity", so they shouldn't be able to hide behind that term.  We punish charities (real ones) for fraud, right?  Right?  I hope?  I just don't see why funds meant to help improve the lives of the needy and poor in spirit can go to some guy's airplane gas bill, and NOT get busted for fraud.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2011 - 12:07AM #15
JimRigas

A not-for-profit business should not have any profits to pay taxes on.  We could allow putting money away for expansion of the facilities, but that is all.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2011 - 8:12AM #16
sonnymoon42

I think all nonprofits should pay taxes on net income, just as businesses and individuals do.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2011 - 7:22AM #17
Kwinters

It has been said that the Vatican has accumulated a vast amount of property and other holdings in the United States in excess of $800 Billion, sic, no one knows exactly how much.

'Bishops' of huge 'mega-churches' are showing off their fleet s of Rolls and other exotic automobiles.

All tax free.

All things considered, if the church cannot show that its temporal holdings are not furthering the purpose of the church, should these holdings be taxed?

Oct 25, 2011 -- 5:16PM, Ed.W wrote:

So you want to take away a church's 501(c)3 status once they get enough money to covet?

online.wsj.com/public/article/SB11459192...

'Pope Benedict XVI is appealing to a new group of admirers: marketers seeking not blessings but pontifical product placements.

Since his election last year, the pope has been spotted wearing Serengeti-branded sunglasses and brown walking shoes donated by Geox. He owns a specially engraved white Apple iPod, and he recently stirred much publicity with a pair of stylish red loafers that may or may not be from Prada.'

Hmmm

Jesus had two dads, and he turned out alright.~ Andy Gussert

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

If someone says, “Oh, I’m not a feminist,” I ask, “Why, what’s your problem?”

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2011 - 8:56AM #18
matica

When I did side work for a Lutheran Church, I found out many things. Most notably I paid taxes on the income I made from the church, so did everyone else who got paid an income from the church. There were times I volunteered, but was turned down to volunteer and was insisted that I get paid......which was weird to say the least.

When ever the church needed major work done, part of the price they paid to have the work done included the taxes the contractor had to pay.

So really, the only tax the church wasn't paying was property tax.  But it was a modest church.

Then I think of Calvary in Albuquerque, where the pastor is reported to own not one but two very expensive cars, now what does he plan on doing with these very expensive cars??????chop them up and feed them to the poor, sell them and use the money to give to the poor????

Then there is the one and only homeless shelter run by a christian charity. The owner also had a mercedes and a rolse royce donated to him and he uses them for his personal use while at the same time begging people for money and supplies for the homeless.

As I stated in another thread, yes, it is time that the government take over the healthcare industry and the care for the poor industry because churches just really aren't doing it, they are more interested in building big fancy buildings and buying $80. bibles. Oh, and sending kids on trips.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2011 - 5:52PM #19
Esdraelon

Oct 28, 2011 -- 7:22AM, Kwinters wrote:

All tax free.

Oct 25, 2011 -- 5:16PM, Ed.W wrote:

So you want to take away a church's 501(c)3 status once they get enough money to covet?

online.wsj.com/public/article/SB11459192...

'Pope Benedict XVI is appealing to a new group of admirers: marketers seeking not blessings but pontifical product placements.

Since his election last year, the pope has been spotted wearing Serengeti-branded sunglasses and brown walking shoes donated by Geox. He owns a specially engraved white Apple iPod, and he recently stirred much publicity with a pair of stylish red loafers that may or may not be from Prada.'

Hmmm

One wonders if dispensations will become  big business again...especially since the pope has called for a 'one world' bank and central authority to......

"The Vatican called on Monday for the establishment of a “global public authority” and a “central world bank” to rule over financial institutions"

"It called for the establishment of “a supranational authority” with worldwide scope and “universal jurisdiction” to guide economic policies and decisions"

These are some of the quotes from the article. Is this the world financial system out of which the mark of the beast will arise?

www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/2&hellip...

The pope has an extremely comprehensive  understanding of Scripture and prophecy regarding the Woman Riding the Beast of Revelation, the religious system affiliated with the ruling government of the end times.

May just be 'birth pangs', but the Vatican is pushing hell for leather towards fulfillment of this prophecy, almost as if they welcome it....

I would think that the pope has the peoples welfare in mind, but he should know better than call upon a one world system to improve that welfare...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2011 - 5:55PM #20
Esdraelon

Oct 28, 2011 -- 8:56AM, matica wrote:

When I did side work for a Lutheran Church, I found out many things. Most notably I paid taxes on the income I made from the church, so did everyone else who got paid an income from the church. There were times I volunteered, but was turned down to volunteer and was insisted that I get paid......which was weird to say the least.

When ever the church needed major work done, part of the price they paid to have the work done included the taxes the contractor had to pay.

So really, the only tax the church wasn't paying was property tax.  But it was a modest church.

Then I think of Calvary in Albuquerque, where the pastor is reported to own not one but two very expensive cars, now what does he plan on doing with these very expensive cars??????chop them up and feed them to the poor, sell them and use the money to give to the poor????

Then there is the one and only homeless shelter run by a christian charity. The owner also had a mercedes and a rolse royce donated to him and he uses them for his personal use while at the same time begging people for money and supplies for the homeless.

As I stated in another thread, yes, it is time that the government take over the healthcare industry and the care for the poor industry because churches just really aren't doing it, they are more interested in building big fancy buildings and buying $80. bibles. Oh, and sending kids on trips.

Such is precisely the type of behavior and splurging that is causing people to turn away from the church today.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook