3 years ago  ::  Oct 21, 2011 - 2:30AM #1
Bambiflambe
With that being said I'm also confused. I've know for awhile that churchy religions weren't my cup of tea. I just dont know how to "use" my faith without raising eyebrows. I don't appreciate being referred to as a Satan Worshipper by the uneducated but I don't really know anything about my faith other than that being out in nature brings a calmness about me. Any thoughts?
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 21, 2011 - 10:01AM #2
Sacrificialgoddess

Welcome!

Um, what? Not really getting what you are talking about.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2011 - 5:39AM #3
Bambiflambe

Yeah after rereading it I was definately rambling. I don't know how to practice my faith. I've read about it and all but I want to know the how to's of being pagan.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2011 - 12:42PM #4
Sacrificialgoddess

Nov 3, 2011 -- 5:39AM, Bambiflambe wrote:

Yeah after rereading it I was definately rambling. I don't know how to practice my faith. I've read about it and all but I want to know the how to's of being pagan.

Be yourself. Honor your gods. There's not a whole lot more to it. Shoot me a pm, if you want, and we can talk specific issues. There aren't any real rules to this, you know, but there are individual ethical issues and whatnot that can plague us from time to time.

I am happy to lend an ear.  :)

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 12:01PM #5
river8101

Starting with pagan, we must first define the root meaning of the word.  It comes from paganus, meaning a rural or country dweller — later it came to mean someone out of earshot of early Christian evangelism.  To the early Christian the word simply meant a non-believer, but eventually it became synonymous with the frightening word: heretic — one who must be converted or suffer dreadful consequences in the afterlife.  It also came to mean one who worshipped many strange and fearful gods and held superstitious rites.  The Church came to believe such people were dangerous, as they might convert or harm others. In the movies, and other popular culture, pagans were always depicted as uncivilized savages, sacrificing beautiful virgins to grotesque idols, etc.

Pagans were originally hunters and gatherers and evolved into agricultural people, farmers and breeders of livestock.  They depended on nature for their sustenance, therefore fertility of animals and crops was the most important aspect of their rites.  At one time, all inhabitants of the earth were pagan.  They worshipped nature spirits, and in shamanistic rites sought to share power with them.  Eventually, totemic spirits became gods, and sometimes tribal wars were fought to appease those gods. Moving further ahead, most pagan societies developed gods much like themselves, with the same needs and fears, enemies and friends; male and female.

Later, paganism became an outgrowth of the spiritual needs of humans as well as an explanation of how and why things happened the way they did.  Thunder, for example, might be an angry god, sexual lust came from a fertility god or goddess, draught, from a missing rain god;  sunshine, from a heavenly, joyful chariot god.  The moon, usually female, with it’s twenty eight day cycle, connected to darkness and to mystery.  A mother goddess was connected to earth, since it was from the earth that all life sprung. The sex of the gods varied from culture to culture.  Wisdom, war, love and sex, for example, could be male or female, depending on the city, the weather, the age, culture and pantheon. Moral or ethical teachings were not usually the business of the gods until much later in history.

As time went on, rural pagans shifted to classical pagan society by adding philosophy to their pagan faith. Among the later Greeks and Romans, the teachings of the gods served as examples and archetypes for good and evil choices. Conservative western theologians today still consider Hindus as pagan, because they revere many gods and nature spirits. Hindus do not see themselves that way.  Hindus believe that each of their gods and demi-gods; devas (there are thousands) are segments of the multi-persona of a complex and androgynous Supreme Source.  If one reads the Gita, the Hindu sacred book, they will find it filled with moral and ethical teachings.  Tibetan Buddhism, an offshoot of Hinduism, has a similar pantheon, as well as many books on noble and ethical teachings. Therefore, in some cultures, paganism developed into a spiritual philosophy as well as a religion.  Where that did not succeed, the culture often succumbed to Islam or Christianity, although the sword contributed to conversion as well.    

Hope this helps.

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook