Switch to Forum Live View An Atheist at the Value Voters Summit
3 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2011 - 8:17PM #1
BillThinks4Himself
Check out the big balls on this guy. 

You gotta love it when atheists step up and remind the crazies that "WE'RE STILL HERE" in the middle of something as crazy as the Value Voters Summit.

Do you think atheists need to win the world over to reality?

I don't.  I think we just need to let the crazies know that they missed one the last time they went on a killing spree.  When you stand up for atheism, you're not converting the zealots.  You're encouraging the quiet, the ones whose eyes have opened but who are afraid to be themselves out of fear of being killed in their sleep. 
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2011 - 12:18PM #2
JCarlin

I suspect the guy on the floor with the T-shirt did more to promote atheism than the table out front.  Particularly as his only confrontation apparantly was the shirt.  I suspect the quiet conversations caused more real thought about religion which is the most dangerous kind. 

I like simple questions like "Was God being fair at the Garden of Eden?"

What is your favorite non'confrontational question for a Christian that you cannot avoid?  Say at a posh party, where the Christian politely is proselytizing you?

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 25, 2011 - 2:18PM #3
Eudaimonist

Oct 15, 2011 -- 8:17PM, BillThinks4Himself wrote:

Do you think atheists need to win the world over to reality?

Yes, but the main audience isn't the people who are lost in unreality, but rather the bystanders who may need the moral support to understand that there are people who are in touch with reality.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2011 - 4:29PM #4
Ken

Oct 24, 2011 -- 12:18PM, JCarlin wrote:

I suspect the guy on the floor with the T-shirt did more to promote atheism than the table out front.  Particularly as his only confrontation apparantly was the shirt.  I suspect the quiet conversations caused more real thought about religion which is the most dangerous kind. 

I like simple questions like "Was God being fair at the Garden of Eden?"

What is your favorite non'confrontational question for a Christian that you cannot avoid?  Say at a posh party, where the Christian politely is proselytizing you?

Christians who go to posh parties don't do that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2011 - 12:16PM #5
BillThinks4Himself

Oct 24, 2011 -- 12:18PM, JCarlin wrote:

The best non-confrontational question is the one that asks them to elaborate beyond script on any point they have raised.  You don't have to have all the answers.  Just keep asking the right Socratic questions.  Sooner or later, they will talk themselves into a corner, at which point they will either stop talking, go away or realize how little they do know.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook