Page 2 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View School Tells Girl Wearing Rosary Violates Dress Code
3 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2011 - 6:25PM #11
Wanderingal

The nuns in our school wore those ginormous wooden rosaries as part of their habits slung from their belts as Costrel described.

The click-clicking sound the big beads made as the nuns walked provided good clues as to how close any given nun was to us....

Now that I think about it those rosaries were so big they probably could have used those things as lassoes.... :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2011 - 6:27PM #12
Wanderingal

Oct 7, 2011 -- 6:12PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

It's not clear that she was actually wearing a rosary, apparently.

Some stories I saw say "necklace resembling a rosary" whereas others say she wore a rosary.

Here we go again.

Considering how many intelligent people refer to virgin birth as immaculate conception, this brouhaha may well have arisen over a beaded necklace with a cross suspended from it that someone took to be a rosary. You know...a cross with beads on a chain...same thing.

That's interesting--the uncertainty about whether it was actually a rosary. For a time Madonna introduced a style of neck jewelry that resembled a rosary but was not.

On the other hand I saw a man in his twenties wearing a real rosary around his neck not long ago and asked him if he ever used it to pray and he said "Yes, all the time."

Chacun a son gout, I guess.

(He did not fit any of the criteria for gang-types or I never woul have asked him the question in the first place.)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2011 - 6:36PM #13
DotNotInOz

Oct 7, 2011 -- 6:27PM, Wanderingal wrote:

Oct 7, 2011 -- 6:12PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

It's not clear that she was actually wearing a rosary, apparently.

Some stories I saw say "necklace resembling a rosary" whereas others say she wore a rosary.

Here we go again.

Considering how many intelligent people refer to virgin birth as immaculate conception, this brouhaha may well have arisen over a beaded necklace with a cross suspended from it that someone took to be a rosary. You know...a cross with beads on a chain...same thing.

That's interesting--the uncertainty about whether it was actually a rosary. For a time Madonna introduced a style of neck jewelry that resembled a rosary but was not.

School administrators in a Nebraska town of 26,000 told a middle school girl to take off her cross necklace because it looks too much like a rosary, which they say is being used by gang members.

But then, look at the picture at the bottom captioned as "one of several pieces of Christian jewellery little Elizabeth wears to school." That looks to me like a rosary and not jewelry.

See what I mean about the possibility that none of these reporters knows what they're talking about?

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2044909...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2011 - 7:17PM #14
mainecaptain

The thing shown is a rosary. I have several. all styles, that is a rosary.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2011 - 7:28PM #15
Wanderingal

Although I can't view the video the still surely looks like a rosary to me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2011 - 7:30PM #16
DotNotInOz

Or the distinct possibility exists that the girl was given this "necklace" by a friend, neither of whom know that it's a rosary...assuming that the picture truly is of one of the things the girl has worn.

I recall a childhood girlfriend wearing a rosary as a necklace once, and when those of us who were Catholic asked her why she was wearing a rosary, it turned out she had no idea that's what it was.

I didn't see any reference to the girl and her family being Catholic. Did anyone else?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2011 - 8:27PM #17
TemplarS

Well, whether it actually was a rosary, and whether the way she wore it was appropriate for a Catholic, is between the girl and her Church.  But, in fact,  if the school administrators had told her she could not wear it beacuse she was wearing it in an inappropriate way with regards to Catholicism- that would have been equally unacceptable.

The point I cannot get past is how we willing surrender things of value to scumbags like gangs.

This is like the story I heard (perhaps apocryphal, but maybe not) where a store at Christmas told their Santa to stop using "Ho Ho Ho" because it sounded like degrading rap music.

We need to stop catering to the lowest common denominator of society.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2011 - 8:42PM #18
jane2

Oct 7, 2011 -- 8:27PM, TemplarS wrote:

Well, whether it actually was a rosary, and whether the way she wore it was appropriate for a Catholic, is between the girl and her Church.  But, in fact,  if the school administrators had told her she could not wear it beacuse she was wearing it in an inappropriate way with regards to Catholicism- that would have been equally unacceptable.

The point I cannot get past is how we willing surrender things of value to scumbags like gangs.

This is like the story I heard (perhaps apocryphal, but maybe not) where a store at Christmas told their Santa to stop using "Ho Ho Ho" because it sounded like degrading rap music.

We need to stop catering to the lowest common denominator of society.

Can go with this, Templar. As an aside isn't the Diocese of Omaha ruled by one of the most conservative Catholic bishops--Bruskowitz (sp?) ????????????

Edit: Bruskewitz is archbisop of Linclon, Nebraska.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2011 - 8:46PM #19
DotNotInOz

Okay, I watched the video clip, during which the girl and her parents are interviewed. The girl is shown wearing a cross suspended from what clearly is a necklace, BUT she's holding the rosary shown in the Daily Telegraph still and says that she thought it was a necklace.

The "spokespriest" for the archdiocese says that the use of rosaries by gang members is a desecration which Catholics ought to oppose whenever they have an opportunity.

Weird though it sounds to say this, I can understand the school district's imposing that rule. Fremont, Nebraska isn't far at all from Omaha. It wouldn't surprise me but what the district did this out of concern for students' safety rather than any supposition that local schools have gang members likely to wear such an identification at school. Of course, they could be thinking that might happen. I don't know how prevalent gang activity is there.

I do know that there was an increasing amount of gang-related crime in tiny towns in Southwest Kansas when I lived there over 15 years ago. Not long before I moved from the area, an elderly woman in a town of about 300 was brutally assaulted and nearly killed by gang members, it was learned. And she had only gone to take her trash out to her dumpster on the alley. People were warned to be watchful if they were near alleyways and to report any suspicious traffic on alleys and less-traveled roads.

Some of the small-town schools banned certain clothing items such as professional sports team logo windbreakers because those were used as gang uniforms in larger towns in the area. Those schools weren't so concerned that their students were gang bangers but that the students might be harmed or even killed by roving gang members.

We live in troubled times when people in rural towns of 1000 or fewer must take such precautions.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2011 - 8:59PM #20
TemplarS

Dot, I understand that, but at some point the rest of us have got to stand up and say, enough of this s__t. 

I'm not really recommending vigilantism, but I wonder what would happen if some gang in Dallas started using the Cowboys logo as their "colors", and a bunch of true Cowboys fans got their legal Texas firearms together and went down to the 'hood and removed all those other gentlemen from the planet.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook