Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View School Tells Girl Wearing Rosary Violates Dress Code
3 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2011 - 10:50AM #1
TemplarS

religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/05/school...

No, not what you might think.

Has nothing to do with expression of religion in a public school:

"An Omaha, Nebraska, sixth-grader was told she could not wear a necklace with a cross to school because the rosary has become an identifying symbol for gangs"

I find this incredible.  This is letting these f__ing  gangs win!!!    Unbelievable.

Anything that brings the ACLU and the Catholic Church together on the same side of an issue is noteworthy.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2011 - 1:32PM #2
TPaine

Oct 7, 2011 -- 10:50AM, TemplarS wrote:

religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/05/school...

No, not what you might think.

Has nothing to do with expression of religion in a public school:

"An Omaha, Nebraska, sixth-grader was told she could not wear a necklace with a cross to school because the rosary has become an identifying symbol for gangs"

I find this incredible.  This is letting these f__ing  gangs win!!!    Unbelievable.

Anything that brings the ACLU and the Catholic Church together on the same side of an issue is noteworthy.

I agree that such rules about disallowing a girl to wear a rosary to school is ridiculous. According to the following, jewelry that can be identifying symbols for gangs can include.

JEWELRY:
Accessories may be worn to signify gang association. It may be expensive or inexpensive. Belt buckles, bracelets, necklaces, key chains, earrings, shoe laces, and rings are all commonly used. Some gang members wear dice earrings to show the "set" they are associated with. Multiple earrings can also be worn on ear lobes to show the “set” they belong to. Others may wear certain color earrings to show their gang association. Link

Should all of the above be banned? Since gangs also wear various combinations of clothing colors should those colors also be banned in schools?

"War is a racket. It always has been. It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives." -- General Smedley Butler: War is a Racket (1935)

"War is mankind's most tragic and stupid folly; to seek or advise its deliberate provocation is a black crime against all men. Though you follow the trade of the warrior, you do so in the spirit of Washington — not of Genghis Khan. For Americans, only threat to our way of life justifies resort to conflict." - General of the Army Dwight D. Eisenhower: Graduation Exercises at the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York, USA at 3 June 1947
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2011 - 4:32PM #3
costrel

I was raised Catholic, and one of the things I was taught in 3rd grade as part of my First Communion education was that one does not wear a rosary as if it were a necklace. A rosary is not a piece of jewelry, and treating it as such is disrespectful. It makes me wonder what kind of a Catholic would actually wear a rosary as if it were a necklace. It's one thing to wear a necklace with a cross or a crucifix as a charm; it's quite another thing to wear a rosary around one's neck. If you must carry your rosary on your person, you secure it to your belt. There traditionally have been a number of different ways of doing this, from looping the rosary around the belt to securing it to the belt with hooks.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2011 - 5:31PM #4
mainecaptain

Oct 7, 2011 -- 4:32PM, costrel wrote:

I was raised Catholic, and one of the things I was taught in 3rd grade as part of my First Communion education was that one does not wear a rosary as if it were a necklace. A rosary is not a piece of jewelry, and treating it as such is disrespectful. It makes me wonder what kind of a Catholic would actually wear a rosary as if it were a necklace. It's one thing to wear a necklace with a cross or a crucifix as a charm; it's quite another thing to wear a rosary around one's neck. If you must carry your rosary on your person, you secure it to your belt. There traditionally have been a number of different ways of doing this, from looping the rosary around the belt to securing it to the belt with hooks.

I went to Catholic school and was told the same exact thing. It is disrespectful to wear a rosary, it is NOT jewellery

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2011 - 5:36PM #5
DotNotInOz

This prohibition was probably an overreaction on the part of ignorant school officials.   I shudder to think how many of those I had to deal with when I was a public high school teacher.

It wouldn't surprise me but that this was a pretty beaded necklace with a cross suspended from it which some doofus took to be a rosary.

But then, I knew of schools that prohibited students' wearing professional sports team logo clothing at one time because some has been used as gang uniforms. This is probably similar.

If the girl actually was wearing a rosary as a necklace, then I agree with Costrel and MC that she hadn't a very thorough religious education. A rosary is not to be used as jewelry. Someone should advise this girl that wearing a rosary as a necklace is sooooo not done. Problem solved quite simply.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2011 - 6:01PM #6
Wanderingal

Oct 7, 2011 -- 5:31PM, mainecaptain wrote:

I went to Catholic school and was told the same exact thing. It is disrespectful to wear a rosary, it is NOT jewellery

That makes at least three of us. ;)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2011 - 6:06PM #7
DotNotInOz

Oct 7, 2011 -- 6:01PM, Wanderingal wrote:

ME, TOO! That's four. ;-D

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2011 - 6:09PM #8
mainecaptain

Oct 7, 2011 -- 6:06PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

I am in good company :)

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2011 - 6:12PM #9
DotNotInOz

It's not clear that she was actually wearing a rosary, apparently.

Some stories I saw say "necklace resembling a rosary" whereas others say she wore a rosary.

Here we go again.

Considering how many intelligent people refer to virgin birth as immaculate conception, this brouhaha may well have arisen over a beaded necklace with a cross suspended from it that someone took to be a rosary. You know...a cross with beads on a chain...same thing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2011 - 6:19PM #10
jane2

Oct 7, 2011 -- 6:09PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Oct 7, 2011 -- 6:06PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

I am in good company :)

Add one more to make five.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook