3 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2011 - 6:57AM #1
Sigurdur
I took a quiz here on Believenet the other day,just for fun,i think it was called "what is your faith" and i got Orthodox Quaker (100%).
But i don't know anything about Quakers really,just that they are pacifists and make some sort of brekfast (saw some in the store called Quaker Havre Fras,some kind of oat pillows).
I don't think we even have Quakers in my country, so i am curious i must say since it seems my believes and way of thinking is quite compatible with the Quakers.
So if there is anyone here that can give me information about them or some sites on the internet i would be most grateful.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 21, 2011 - 10:01PM #2
Zeeking

This site (below) might get you started. There are several subtypes of Quakerism ranging from very Christ centered/evangelical to liberal/unprogrammed. I have been attending Quaker meeting for 2 years in the US, an unprogammed meeting where we sit in silence, waiting for revelations from God/the spirit. This type of Quakerism has no creeds or dogma and no pastors to show us how or what to believe. We are very much life long seekers.

That is just the one type though.

Here is the site I thought might be helpful. You can always send me a message if you would like to discuss further.

I wish you a fulfilling journey!

Z

www.quakerinfo.org/quakerism/beliefs

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2011 - 6:17AM #3
Sigurdur

Thank you so much for this information i will look at this site and ask you more questions if that would be ok with you?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2011 - 3:31PM #4
Shaula

By the way, the breakfast that you mentioned has no connection to the quaker religion, it's just a brand name. Apparently, the founders of the company (who were not quakers) wanted to profit from the good reputation that quakers had at the time: they were known for their integrity, for quality products and fair prices, and so the company had free publicity ;)

I'm not a quaker and therefore not really qualified to answer your question, but from what I understand the origin of this religion was an attempt to move "back to the roots" of christianity and do away with a lot of ballast that the church had accumulated since its early days. For example, quakers did not have priests, because they believed that the spirit of god can speak through everyone. They also focused strongly on the more radical (and therefore difficult to follow) teachings of Christ that the traditional church prefers to relativise, particularly the Sermon of the Mount (love your enemy etc.). They refused to swear oaths (instead speaking the truth at all times) and renounced physical violence. Therefore I expect that, if you identify strongly with the teachings of Christ, you should feel very much at home with the teachings of conservative quakers today (which remain pretty close to those of the first quakers).

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook