3 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2011 - 9:13AM #1
mecdukebec
I didn't go to Gen'l Assembly in Nashvilee, but I followed it pretty well on Facebook.  That said, I really enjoyed Fred's "Witness" message, Sharon's re-election, and the news of the growing church; that said, I wonder if our Assemblies have been too milquetoast over the last few years?  -- I've seen the DoC Peace Fellowship bring some vital, rather prescient, resolutions about the War in Iraq, anti-Muslim sentiments amongst the Palin crowd, etc., and those either become voted down, tabled by the Administrative Council, and so on. 

I guess I wonder that, while I believe our Church is guided by God, the Holy Spirit, we have sunk into "good feelings" versus the prophetic task of the Church. 

Any thoughts?

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 12, 2011 - 10:29AM #2
mitchel1

"I've seen the DoC Peace Fellowship bring some vital, rather prescient, resolutions about the War in Iraq, anti-Muslim sentiments amongst the Palin crowd, etc., and those either become voted down, tabled by the Administrative Council, and so on. "

Actually, the resolution against the war in Iraq -in a slightly weaker form that it was when DPF originally submitted it- was passed by the General Assembly, much to the distress to the more conservative end of Disciples. Sharon spent a fair amount of time trying to smooth feathers. The resolution condemning anti-Muslim action was passed unanamously, an astonishing thing! No DPF resolution has ever passed without opposition.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook