Switch to Forum Live View Excellent new novel for United Methodists by a former minister
3 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2011 - 11:01PM #1
Joseph40
There is a great new novel that just came out titled "Dim" (Jim Metzger) about a young Methodist  minister fresh out of seminary who has a difficult time negotiating his  first rural parish in eastern North Carolina.  It addresses all kinds of  cool issues, like the problem of suffering and evil, homosexuality in  the church, negative portrayals of God in the Bible, biblical authority  and interpretation.  Plus, it's just a really great story.  Would be  good for a discussion group, I think.  Would love to see what you all  think!
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2011 - 5:27PM #2
deep thinker

Interesting, for sure, but very depressing.  Given the main character's description and behavior, one wonders---why on earth did he ever go into the ministry?  He certainly didn't seem to have that "heart strangley warmed" conviction that Wesley referred to in his writing.  I'm not sure if this fictional character was based on any actual experience, but if so, I'm glad he decided to leave the field....ministry is definitely one of those occupations which would seem to require a strong "calling" to succeed...

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook