Switch to Forum Live View Recurring Church Dream: Help with interpretation?
4 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2011 - 1:13PM #1
Taciturnu
I apologize for the length, but this dream has been plaguing me.  The surrounding context can change, but I'll explain the recurring part and the full context of my most recent dream.

I have two boys around the ages of 8 and 6 who I sense are not biologically mine, but to whom I care for and treat as my own and who treat me as their mother.  They always are very sweet and mild mannered children, respectful and loving of each other and me. We end up in a church's tidy but dimly lit finished basement.  I remember one time we toured the church and the tourgiver was in the basement with us.  Once, I sensed it was a church I attended.  I sense it is a Catholic church (though I am not Catholic), but never have a solid reason to believe so.  In the basement, we smell smoke and there is an explosion within seconds that also closes and locks the doors to escape.  The explosion never harms us, but there is a rising flood that follows.  

I have to climb the stairs and jump to a platform where there is an escape tunnel leading outside and tell the children to follow.  Sometimes I help catch them, sometimes the flood is rising too fast and I know if I can not uncover and open the tunnel in time we will all perish.  I always have to move a rug, open two seperate portions of the tunnel and unlock personal flotation devices.  We have always escaped imminent danger.  

The first thing I remember in this last dream is that I'm coloring on the floor of the basement with the kids.  There is no light except an elongated rectangle that is coming from the light from the open door on the next floor up.  A religious leader who I sense is a priest stands on the stairs and stares at me.  I get a creepy feeling, so I move out of his line of vision.  He moves to stare at me again.  I ask if there is something I can help him with.  He says he needs to talk to me and leads me to the top of the stairs.  (The kids are just barely out of my line of vision.)  The priest doesn't have a lot to say, so I volunteer that I really like the thrift shop at the church, because there is a lot of selection.  I don't remember most of our conversation, but through it my feeling of dread dissipates and I begin to grow fond of the priest and feel as though he is a father figure.  

The kids ran upstairs to tell me they smell smoke.  I ran downstairs and the kids followed.  I turned to tell them to go back up, but the explosion occurred with the flood.  I was able to help them onto the platfoorm and began going to work uncovering the tunnel.  This time, the older boy said that we couldn't pass through the tunnel.  When I asked why, he said there was someone in it.  I looked to find a dead woman crumpled inside.  I stopped trying to open the tunnel because I didn't want to alter any forensic evidence if it could be recovered.  The flood stopped halfway up the stairs, so I was able to break down the door for the first time.  

On the next floor, there was a flood also, but less deep.  There was a cluster of people who were trapped and sitting on personal flotation devices, including one of my aunts and one woman who I "knew" killed the woman in the tunnel.  The killer woman started to get wound up, so I held her tight in an effort to calm her down and spoke gently telling her that we are all stressed out and acting out isn't going to solve anything.  When she calmed, I went to my aunt who was sitting on a floating bed sheet.  She said she gave one to the person sitting next to her, but there should be enough room for the kids (who had quietly followed me) and I.  I put the kids on the neighbor's blanket and hopped up onto my aunt's.  I said,"Well, I guess we have to sleep here tonight," and woke from the dream.

If anybody has any insight, I would like these dreams to end.  I wake up with a pounding heart every time and it doesn't make for restful sleep. :)  Thanks.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2011 - 6:01PM #2
dreamhealth

Jun 18, 2011 -- 1:13PM, Taciturnu wrote:

I apologize for the length, but this dream has been plaguing me.  The surrounding context can change, but I'll explain the recurring part and the full context of my most recent dream.

I have two boys around the ages of 8 and 6 who I sense are not biologically mine, but to whom I care for and treat as my own and who treat me as their mother.  They always are very sweet and mild mannered children, respectful and loving of each other and me. We end up in a church's tidy but dimly lit finished basement.  I remember one time we toured the church and the tourgiver was in the basement with us.  Once, I sensed it was a church I attended.  I sense it is a Catholic church (though I am not Catholic), but never have a solid reason to believe so.  In the basement, we smell smoke and there is an explosion within seconds that also closes and locks the doors to escape.  The explosion never harms us, but there is a rising flood that follows.  

I have to climb the stairs and jump to a platform where there is an escape tunnel leading outside and tell the children to follow.  Sometimes I help catch them, sometimes the flood is rising too fast and I know if I can not uncover and open the tunnel in time we will all perish.  I always have to move a rug, open two seperate portions of the tunnel and unlock personal flotation devices.  We have always escaped imminent danger.  

The first thing I remember in this last dream is that I'm coloring on the floor of the basement with the kids.  There is no light except an elongated rectangle that is coming from the light from the open door on the next floor up.  A religious leader who I sense is a priest stands on the stairs and stares at me.  I get a creepy feeling, so I move out of his line of vision.  He moves to stare at me again.  I ask if there is something I can help him with.  He says he needs to talk to me and leads me to the top of the stairs.  (The kids are just barely out of my line of vision.)  The priest doesn't have a lot to say, so I volunteer that I really like the thrift shop at the church, because there is a lot of selection.  I don't remember most of our conversation, but through it my feeling of dread dissipates and I begin to grow fond of the priest and feel as though he is a father figure.  

The kids ran upstairs to tell me they smell smoke.  I ran downstairs and the kids followed.  I turned to tell them to go back up, but the explosion occurred with the flood.  I was able to help them onto the platfoorm and began going to work uncovering the tunnel.  This time, the older boy said that we couldn't pass through the tunnel.  When I asked why, he said there was someone in it.  I looked to find a dead woman crumpled inside.  I stopped trying to open the tunnel because I didn't want to alter any forensic evidence if it could be recovered.  The flood stopped halfway up the stairs, so I was able to break down the door for the first time.  

On the next floor, there was a flood also, but less deep.  There was a cluster of people who were trapped and sitting on personal flotation devices, including one of my aunts and one woman who I "knew" killed the woman in the tunnel.  The killer woman started to get wound up, so I held her tight in an effort to calm her down and spoke gently telling her that we are all stressed out and acting out isn't going to solve anything.  When she calmed, I went to my aunt who was sitting on a floating bed sheet.  She said she gave one to the person sitting next to her, but there should be enough room for the kids (who had quietly followed me) and I.  I put the kids on the neighbor's blanket and hopped up onto my aunt's.  I said,"Well, I guess we have to sleep here tonight," and woke from the dream.

If anybody has any insight, I would like these dreams to end.  I wake up with a pounding heart every time and it doesn't make for restful sleep. :)  Thanks.

It seems to me that you are unconsciously trying to work out a trauma that started in childhood and has developed ever since. It seems to be a threat to self but really isn't.. There is some visualizing ahead that you will still be living with this in old age, but in the dream there is also the presence of the "wise old woman" who knows better. Whatever this problem or hurt is is pulling on all of your resources. At the same time, the resources (inner child, wise old woman, clergy) are not enough. You must find your own healing through growth and experience, story telling, consciousness. The inner pain may not be traceable to one traumatic event in real life but a complex of pressures endured, sadnesses, consequences of poor choices, etc., all mashed together. You may be in the habit of "coating it over" with "everything is fine" philosophy on the conscious level.

You might try opening to your inner life and allow that you are more complicated inside than you thought, at least until things seem more simple. You see, the basement images refer to deeper unconscious and also beliefs since it is a church basement. If something wasn't festoring, it wouldn't wake you up. A nightmare, while unpleasant, is a way of working things out. Its presence indicates that you are ready for healing. Your unconscious is trying to work things out with picture stories. (Dreams and Spiritual Growth, Savory, Berne, and Williams)

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook