4 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2011 - 5:32PM #1
Lepper
I have, for a long time, been interested in the Religious Society of Friends. There are a lot of ideas and beliefs common among Quakers that really resonate with me. For various reasons, I haven't ever been able to attend a Quaker meeting, but I do have plans to do that soon so that I can experience that aspect of Quakerism. 

But my question for those of you who consider yourself to be Quaker, or who attend Quaker meetings,  is why? What is it about Quakerism that draws you to it? What is it about Quaker life or worship or beliefs that give you life? Why do you feel like this is the path for you?

I'd love to hear what you have to share, and I'm looking forward to the conversation!

Peace!
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2011 - 11:46PM #2
Peter_d_roman

hi-

for me quaker though especially the though expressed my mr fox that "CHRIST TEACHES HIS OWN " is the greatest christian truth available today.

that what i call " the Pentecost event" only began on Pentecost sunday and that this wonderful event is gifted to  each of us as we are  being taught directly by The Teacher has continued ever since - living  heart to living heart

sadly others created christain religious  trapping that entrapped christain hearts like the way the pharisees and temple authority of Our Savior Brothers Day imprisoned the jews hearts and spirit keep there own version of holy spirit as being available only by there rituals and books....

i dont agree with all that mr fox established - like 100% nonviolence because i have seen weaker ones harmed by stronger ones only because of there power  deficient and i will to NOT stand by  to see no one become anothers victim and will meet the clearly aggressors force with my force om behalf of the victim without even  needing to be asked-

and if im wrong in this i know 100% Our Savior Brother will forgive m this wrong become that is just the kind of Guy HE IS 100% loving 199% forgiving.

i recon that makes me a militant quaker but i prefer the term modern day american quaker.

anyway you would do you self and your spirit good to cheek them out.

peace and good and tons o'love

>p

Jun 14, 2011 -- 5:32PM, Lepper wrote:

I have, for a long time, been interested in the Religious Society of Friends. There are a lot of ideas and beliefs common among Quakers that really resonate with me. For various reasons, I haven't ever been able to attend a Quaker meeting, but I do have plans to do that soon so that I can experience that aspect of Quakerism. 

But my question for those of you who consider yourself to be Quaker, or who attend Quaker meetings,  is why? What is it about Quakerism that draws you to it? What is it about Quaker life or worship or beliefs that give you life? Why do you feel like this is the path for you?

I'd love to hear what you have to share, and I'm looking forward to the conversation!

Peace!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2011 - 2:40PM #3
Zeeking

I started attending Quaker meeting nearly two years ago after getting fed up with much about the church I was then attending (including but not limited to: bibolatry, bible literalism, use of out-of-context verses to justify horrible attitudes and behaviors, worshiping Jesus instead of God, being told what MY God experience can and can not be, being told that when I hear from God in my life,  that it is in fact satan or me, that God would not speak here/now, etc...)

Why Quakerism instead of ditching faith altogether? In a word, I already WAS Quaker. All of my spiritual milestones have been directly experiential, not told to me by someone else. Quakers generally accept "that of God" in everyone, and do not try to place any one dogma as "the only" over any other. In fact, I have found Quakerism to be more about questions rather than answers; uncertainty (wonderful limitless possibilities?) rather than certainty.

I am also drawn to the Quaker testimonies of  humility, simplicity, and peace - which, given what I think we heard from Jesus (he wrote nothing himself), is in line with his message more than what I hear preached from many pulpits or modeled by many Christians.

In a nutshell, Quakers seem accepting of my experience of a God presence that is real and operating now, not at some past or future date. It might not be for everyone or even be for me for the long term. Today, however, I find it quite wonderful.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook