Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Tax breaks for a creationist theme park?
3 years ago  ::  May 20, 2011 - 3:18PM #1
F1fan
OK, we've all known about this place being built.  Now the builders are seeking tax breaks from the government.  Is it appropriate given the notorious reputation of creationism and how it misinforms the public?  Or does the government look at it as just a theme park and treat it like any business?

www.kentucky.com/2011/05/20/1745988/43-m...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 20, 2011 - 3:53PM #2
Iwantamotto

Well, I dunno ... since a "secular" theme park would just be about any museum in the country (sorta), if they get tax breaks, so should the creationist park, I guess.

Of course, Jesus should find them some fish to help them pay their taxes.  :)

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 20, 2011 - 5:25PM #3
REteach

C'mon Johnny and Lope--tell the owners of the theme park that you don't want your tax dollars spent this way.  

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 20, 2011 - 6:18PM #4
mainecaptain

They wont say that REteach, because I bet they would not object to that, only to helping the poor, do they object

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 20, 2011 - 6:20PM #5
jonny42

May 20, 2011 -- 5:25PM, REteach wrote:

C'mon Johnny and Lope--tell the owners of the theme park that you don't want your tax dollars spent this way.  

For one thing, tax breaks are not the same as "tax dollars spent this way."  In tax breaks, no tax dollars are spent.  The government is not giving money away when it gives tax breaks.    That is a significant difference.

And I would be for them having to pay the same taxes as any other theme parks/businesses.  

If other theme parks/businesses are given tax breaks (as many private companies are given in order to entice them to come), then they should be consistent with this theme park.    If other theme parks or businesses do not get tax breaks, then neither should this theme park.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 20, 2011 - 9:03PM #6
Kwinters

May 20, 2011 -- 3:18PM, F1fan wrote:

OK, we've all known about this place being built.  Now the builders are seeking tax breaks from the government.  Is it appropriate given the notorious reputation of creationism and how it misinforms the public?  Or does the government look at it as just a theme park and treat it like any business?

www.kentucky.com/2011/05/20/1745988/43-m...[/quote]

Things that make people stupider should be taxed, not given tax breaks!

Jesus had two dads, and he turned out alright.~ Andy Gussert

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

If someone says, “Oh, I’m not a feminist,” I ask, “Why, what’s your problem?”

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 20, 2011 - 9:39PM #7
SeraphimR

They got a $43 million dollar tax break from the state of Kentucky.

As I don't live in Kentucky, it is really none of my business.

But if it riles up the atheists, it can't be all bad.

People with a mission to save the earth want the earth to seem worse than it is so their mission will look more important.

P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 21, 2011 - 8:03AM #8
amcolph

May 20, 2011 -- 9:39PM, SeraphimR wrote:

They got a $43 million dollar tax break from the state of Kentucky.

As I don't live in Kentucky, it is really none of my business.

But if it riles up the atheists, it can't be all bad.

They don't just rile up atheists.

You're an Orthodox Christian, right?

Remember, these are people who think you're a Bible-hating Christ-denier who belongs to a Godless cult.

This post contains no advertisements or solicitations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 21, 2011 - 10:23AM #9
Sacrificialgoddess

I am not a big fan of tax breaks for any for profit industry. So this grates my cheese on that level, at least.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 21, 2011 - 10:53AM #10
davelaw40

these are local tax breaks?

so the real issue is does the 14th admendment extend the establishment clause to the states and local government and if it does is a tax break an establishment of religion? remembering that it has already been ruled that tax exemptions are not such an establishment

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook