Switch to Forum Live View I Survived Judgment Day
3 years ago  ::  May 19, 2011 - 7:28PM #1
BillThinks4Himself
One difference between a number of religions and the unchurched (atheists, agnostics, apatheists, igtheists, humanists, freethinkers) is the apocalypse gap.

Religion gets a lot of mileage out of "Judgment Day."  Christianity and Islam, in particular, have made a cash business out of spooking folks into avoiding some monstrous and apocalyptic threat looming over them.  As the New Testament put it, "Repent for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand."

This is akin to robbing a bank with a cellphone.  You walk in, tell the teller to put the money into the bag or you're going to have your friend, on the line, blow up the bank or kill some little girl who may or may not exist.  What you can't seize you'll gain by threats.  You simply say that whoever doesn't toe the line will get it "when your father gets home."

Apocalyptic doom is the shoehorn that lets you take over "with no money down." 

The unchurched have no need for apocalyptic scenarios.  Things will change, as they always do, but there's no future IRS audit involving a hot poker and a cellphone bill listing everything you'd ever thought and done.  There's plenty of apocalyptic possibilities - in the here and now - without any need for supernatural silliness.  My sister died of cancer.  Were she to have landed in Hell afterwards, I'm not sure there's a demon who could have come up with a funhouse twist she'd not have already experienced.  Life, as we know it, has all the bits of Heaven and Hell from which the poets and prophets have woven their fantasies.

In any event, I look forward to Judgment Day.  I intend to party like it's 2011. 
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 24, 2011 - 12:12AM #2
BillThinks4Himself

I partied like it was 2011.  Little did I know that the clock was ticking even before May 21st.  Folks were keeping score as far East as Australia.  Thanks a lot, ozzies.  You ruined the surprise.

Iceland did get some earthquake activity but it wasn't even the end of Iceland.

There was greater danger in California, where the Governator got caught starting a second family.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 16, 2011 - 10:39PM #3
BillThinks4Himself

Hey, isn't Judgment Day about to happen again?  Didn't that idiot reverend reschedule it for October?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 16, 2011 - 10:51PM #4
Douglas_macneill

Oct 16, 2011 -- 10:39PM, BillThinks4Himself wrote:

Hey, isn't Judgment Day about to happen again?  Didn't that idiot reverend reschedule it for October?

First for October 14.  When Judgment Day didn't happen on the 14th, Rev. Camping said it would be on the 21st.  ["This time for sure!  Presto!"  And Bullwinkle pulls Rocky out of the hat.]

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2011 - 12:21PM #5
JCarlin

Yep,  Nobody qualified.   Again. 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook