Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Was Jefferson District, now Southeast
4 years ago  ::  May 04, 2011 - 1:45PM #11
DotNotInOz

May 4, 2011 -- 2:17AM, JCarlin wrote:

I don't remember if you were around then but you might enjoy Disrespect Blunderbuss on the old boards. 

I was around and recall your participation on the DB thread fondly. Sure did cause a number of the "It's-all-gooders" to get their lingerie disoriented.

Thanks for a pleasant reminder of how very much more I enjoyed B-net back before all the bells & whistles, not to mention the ridiculous ads.

Although, sadly, I think the UUA has become substantially more wishywashy since then if that can be envisioned. I've certainly encountered far too many UU's who were keen to uphold the party line despite a long, honorable history of Unitarians and Universalists who were nothing if not boat rockers and rabble rousers.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 04, 2011 - 1:49PM #12
DotNotInOz

May 4, 2011 -- 2:35AM, RevDorris wrote:

What would happen if everyone who would like to protect this change stated carrying the Jefferson Bible to each church service and meeting?  Better yet maybe insist that a verse be read from it at each service.

I've been wondering if the Jefferson Bible has been banished as well.

Aside to RevD:  Did you notice your Freudian slip was showing with this posting? Somehow, I doubt you meant to type "proTECT this change." Gave me a grin, though.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 04, 2011 - 5:42PM #13
Jupiter6208

May 3, 2011 -- 8:12AM, RevDorris wrote:

The UUA in always trying to be 'Politically Correct' has lost its flavor and its uniqueness.  Until it regains a path of its own, it has no path but follows in the wake of many others.  Where are the radicals and heretics who were the leaders and pushed man's awareness to new highs?

Maybe they want to become mainstream.

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 04, 2011 - 8:18PM #14
RevDorris

Thank you Dot,

I went back and made three corrections.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 04, 2011 - 8:52PM #15
Jupiter6208

Rev Dorris are you still  a UU?

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 05, 2011 - 2:38AM #16
DotNotInOz

May 4, 2011 -- 5:42PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

May 3, 2011 -- 8:12AM, RevDorris wrote:

The UUA in always trying to be 'Politically Correct' has lost its flavor and its uniqueness.  Until it regains a path of its own, it has no path but follows in the wake of many others.  Where are the radicals and heretics who were the leaders and pushed man's awareness to new highs?

Maybe they want to become mainstream.

Statistically speaking, it isn't working if that was the intent.

For about a decade after the merger of the Unitarians and Universalists in 1961, adult membership and RE enrollment increased to the largest numbers of each since the merger.

They've since declined or stayed fairly stable. The greatest concern for the denomination's continuance lies in the fact that religious ed enrollment stats show a pretty steady decline over the past twenty years. That does not bode well for a denomination that desperately needs not only to retain those dedicated in childhood once they start their own families but needs to attract more young adults. Part of the reason, too, for fewer kids in RE may also be that people are having fewer children than they did in the early 1960's.

www.uua.org/documents/info/uua_membershi...

Adult membership seems to show an increase recently, but I have to wonder what was reported on the annual surveys. If it was adult members, then I know from church experience that that doesn't reflect how many adults attend services at all regularly and maintain any meaningful level of involvement with their church. Most striking among these was one woman at the UU church I went to most recently whom I ran across at Barnes & Noble after a summer service last year. When I mentioned how much I was enjoying the open forum discussions that constituted summer services, she said she only attends from June until mid-August when the minister returns to the pulpit. The regular services bore her, she explained, whereas she finds the discussions interesting and stimulating.

So when the UUA lauds the fact that adult membership is increasing, it's not by much statistically speaking and in actuality it may not be any at all.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 05, 2011 - 9:28AM #17
RevDorris

May 4, 2011 -- 8:52PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

Let's see:  I believe in One God above all others -- That makes me a Unitarian.

I believe that all people are God's children.  We are told that the 'One' will not allow a single soul to be lost..  and I agree with this statement --- That would make me a Universalist.

You can say I am a 'UU' but not a member of the UUA although I do like the Principles but not the way or the lack of the way they are put into practice.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 05, 2011 - 10:25AM #18
Jupiter6208

May 5, 2011 -- 9:28AM, RevDorris wrote:

May 4, 2011 -- 8:52PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

Let's see:  I believe in One God above all others -- That makes me a Unitarian.

I believe that all people are God's children.  We are told that the 'One' will not allow a single soul to be lost..  and I agree with this statement --- That would make me a Universalist.

You can say I am a 'UU' but not a member of the UUA although I do like the Principles but not the way or the lack of the way they are put into practice.

I definitely see myself subscribing to the same ideas but I'm debating what would the benefit be for me   by   signing the Book and becoming a actual member, a free subscription of UUWORLD? I already subscribe to it. lol  besides when the Rev is gone during the Summer it's rather boring..

Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 05, 2011 - 2:02PM #19
DotNotInOz

I think church membership or not boils down to the extent to which a person feels a need to find friends and acquaintances likely to share your religio-spiritual viewpoint (or lack thereof). Seeking church membership may also reflect your need to belong to a congenial group.

There are other obvious advantages such as opportunities for participating in social justice actions that you don't have to initiate.

All that said, I certainly understand your feeling, Jupiter, that the major benefit for you might go little beyond the UU World subscription which you'd not be paying for directly.

Ultimately, the boredom of same-old-same-old service formats and rehashed themes, not to mention my strong opposition to some UUA policies and procedures, and then, the pettiness of much congregational politicking--all those weighed heavily against my wishing to contribute time, energy and money to a UU congregation again.

Call me an unchurched Unitarian and more spiritually satisfied for it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 05, 2011 - 3:33PM #20
Jupiter6208

It seems very sad to hear from former/ unchurched UU's  I hope things get better for  the UU'S I like them and alot of what they stand for.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook