Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Was Jefferson District, now Southeast
3 years ago  ::  May 06, 2011 - 11:34AM #21
JCarlin

Unfortunately the Southwest district for me is a symbol of the entire problem with UU.  By focusing on Political Correctness rather than religion people have lost their reason to go to church.  Political Correctness and even Social Action is ultimately divisive.  You like one cause, I like another so you lead one parade and I will lead another in the opposite direction.  

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 06, 2011 - 1:49PM #22
RevDorris

Have you thought about sending a link to this thread to the President of the UUA?  I wonder what his or her reaction might be.  Would there by a reply?

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 06, 2011 - 2:09PM #23
Jupiter6208

May 6, 2011 -- 1:49PM, RevDorris wrote:

Have you thought about sending a link to this thread to the President of the UUA?  I wonder what his or her reaction might be.  Would there by a reply?

I just did, We will see....

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

What the heart loves, the will chooses, and the mind justifies.”

― Thomas Cranmer
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 06, 2011 - 4:19PM #24
DotNotInOz

May 6, 2011 -- 11:34AM, JCarlin wrote:

Unfortunately the Southwest district for me is a symbol of the entire problem with UU.  By focusing on Political Correctness rather than religion people have lost their reason to go to church.  Political Correctness and even Social Action is ultimately divisive.  You like one cause, I like another so you lead one parade and I will lead another in the opposite direction.  

I heartily agree, J'C.

My problem, as you and I've discussed elsewhere, also was that so many UU services are about as stimulating, inspiring and uplifting as a greeting card when they aren't distracting me with politics.

Maybe I was never cut out to be a UU as most churches operate nowadays, but I don't go to church to be harangued about some social issue, deserving of action though it may be. I go to church to be touched emotionally and spiritually, to rekindle feelings of unity with other people who have their challenges and weaknesses as do I and ultimately to return home feeling that I've gotten some insight into how to be a better person.

I think that a church service needs to do other things than exhort people to support some social justice crusade or other. That we can get from any number of other sources, but lifechanging inspiration doesn't come so easily from anywhere but a well-thought church service. And experiencing that inspiration in the company of congenial people is a valuable part of churchgoing--all things that I think the UU movement has largely brushed aside to its detriment.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2011 - 3:49PM #25
DotNotInOz

May 6, 2011 -- 2:09PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

May 6, 2011 -- 1:49PM, RevDorris wrote:

I just did, We will see....

I guess we know what the reply was these several months later...none.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2011 - 4:38PM #26
Jupiter6208

Nope nada...

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

What the heart loves, the will chooses, and the mind justifies.”

― Thomas Cranmer
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2011 - 12:08PM #27
JCarlin

Perhaps since Unitarianism and Universalism are both religions which the UUA has abandoned, perhaps they should change their name to the SCCA or SSCA for Sunday Country (Social) Club Association.  Maybe that way the UU congregations that haven't abandoned religion could join together with the UCC congregations that have abandoned Christianity could join under the AUA perhaps with name changed to American Universalist Association to include those who still think Jesus is an important part of the God concept. 

I know a lot of Christians today that think the trinity is God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit rather than God, Christ, and the Holy Spirit, and whose NT consists only of the Gospels. The OT is condensed into the Two Great Commandments of Jesus.  Most of them are in the closets of the RCC, Episcopal, and other traditional Christian denominations.  Maybe if they had a home they could come out of the closet.  

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2011 - 4:20PM #28
DotNotInOz

Sep 26, 2011 -- 12:08PM, JCarlin wrote:

Perhaps since Unitarianism and Universalism are both religions which the UUA has abandoned, perhaps they should change their name to the SCCA or SSCA for Sunday Country (Social) Club Association. 

Now, there's a thought.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook