Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Flaw of western Tao Te Ching - why
7 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2011 - 6:15PM #1
Mak_jo_si
Many people think the Tao Te Ching is about "Tao", but it is not!  Tao Te Ching is about Tao Te, virtues.  PLUS it is all about virtues only.  People go into a poetic tone and abstract tone when they are translating the book, making it not even about virtues.

If you ever see the Chinese version, there are names to each chapters and not just the numbers.  The names are very political-vibe, such as "governing", "dealing with people", "virtues of mother", "governing a country", etc..     if it is about TAO, as in Taoism, why the heck does it have to talk about all that politics and all the governing of a country?  Shouldn't a taoist talk about nature al life only and not all these politics?  If it's a taoist masterpiece, would it fit more to talk about all the universe, space, nature and all that?  No, it doesn't.  I talks about politics, society, people and all that stuff. 

The book is only inspired by Lao Tze, and it's not written by him.  The notes of Lao Tze was given to his friend who work at the gate who name is Wun Hei and the friend gave it to the king as a gift. The king was inspired and later on published a book named Tao Te Ching, a book of virtues, to be sold in all places.  That is how the book got common later on as well, if not, how come it's so well known?!  It must have been marketed and promoted as well!  Nothing good will become common if not marketed properly!  Be reaistic!

So in history, the period of time when TTC was born, the society is very chaotic and lots of war are going on.  This book serve the purpose to settle the "fire" in all people and help to smoothen the country out.  This is why the TTC was invented and published.  It's hard to accept, but it's the truth... you can see it in the Chinese text that it is SO OBVIOUS that it doesn't talks about TAO at all.    
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 02, 2011 - 12:54PM #2
jbkranger

I have an online English version with the names of all 81 chapters, but it is irrelavant because....

According to the book, the "Tao of Zen" from 1994 pages 14-15 says the chapter divisions were added sometime after 168 BCE. There is no logic to the number 81 except that it appears to have been influenced by the Buddhists somehow having to do with 81 being the square root of 9

Joey

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 02, 2011 - 3:59PM #3
Mak_jo_si

May 2, 2011 -- 12:54PM, jbkranger wrote:

I have an online English version with the names of all 81 chapters, but it is irrelavant because....

According to the book, the "Tao of Zen" from 1994 pages 14-15 says the chapter divisions were added sometime after 168 BCE. There is no logic to the number 81 except that it appears to have been influenced by the Buddhists somehow having to do with 81 being the square root of 9

Joey

That is wrong, because the chapter's title are there to state what each passage is talking about and it was not something added on later. It was actually lost for a period of time and then people found it again. Because back then, Chinese always like to destroy things when they move on to another dynasty just to give it a fresh start or something. Books like TTC are also being washed again and again, and therefore there are many copies and versions nowadays.  But if you got the "TTC" in westernize translation, you are 100% going into the trend that people are making it "Book of Tao" instead of "book of Tao Te (virtues)".  Seriously, I have read a few versions and Stephen M's version is the most popular one that people read also.  None of them can tell you that book is about virtues, you see NOTHING in there that talks about virtues.

If you look at mine, the whole book talks about virtues, virtues of a child, mother, teacher, king, government, etc,.. it's all straight forward with NOTHING abstract or poetic.  That's a straight forward masterguide to virtues, and it should be like that for sure since the book already tell you the name of the book is "Book of Virtues".  Look into mine if you wish, you will see the huge difference.  Of course, you can pick what you like yourself, but mind you that if you plan to read mine, you must read from zero and then in order then go on... you cannot jam in or skip or skim, that will not make a single sense.. because... anyway.. you can read it and it will tell you all about it... it's all in the book.

www.chiinnature.com/taoteching.html

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 02, 2011 - 3:59PM #4
Mak_jo_si

May 2, 2011 -- 12:54PM, jbkranger wrote:

Joey

That is wrong, because the chapter's title are there to state what each passage is talking about and it was not something added on later. It was actually lost for a period of time and then people found it again. Because back then, Chinese always like to destroy things when they move on to another dynasty just to give it a fresh start or something. Books like TTC are also being washed again and again, and therefore there are many copies and versions nowadays.  But if you got the "TTC" in westernize translation, you are 100% going into the trend that people are making it "Book of Tao" instead of "book of Tao Te (virtues)".  Seriously, I have read a few versions and Stephen M's version is the most popular one that people read also.  None of them can tell you that book is about virtues, you see NOTHING in there that talks about virtues.

If you look at mine, the whole book talks about virtues, virtues of a child, mother, teacher, king, government, etc,.. it's all straight forward with NOTHING abstract or poetic.  That's a straight forward masterguide to virtues, and it should be like that for sure since the book already tell you the name of the book is "Book of Virtues".  Look into mine if you wish, you will see the huge difference.  Of course, you can pick what you like yourself, but mind you that if you plan to read mine, you must read from zero and then in order then go on... you cannot jam in or skip or skim, that will not make a single sense.. because... anyway.. you can read it and it will tell you all about it... it's all in the book.

www.chiinnature.com/taoteching.html

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook