Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View EVIL -- a term in Taoism, your thoughts?
7 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2011 - 10:20AM #1
Mak_jo_si
Now, talking about "evil" all the time, what is "evil" in Taoism?

First, I would like to open this topic for all to put their own thoughts, what is "evil" mean to you now? 
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2011 - 2:44AM #2
Eisenhans

Apr 26, 2011 -- 10:20AM, Mak_jo_si wrote:

Now, talking about "evil" all the time, what is "evil" in Taoism?

First, I would like to open this topic for all to put their own thoughts, what is "evil" mean to you now? 

To me now, evil takes many forms: the new-age angel-book, the ghost-possession qigong teacher, the bald buddhist who smiles at you while throwing a net of evil magic over your soul, the cheerful priest who wears a "holy" cross and molests children....

But the essence is always the same:

1) A gross disrespect and/or contempt for life.

2) A gross disrespect and/or contempt for Nature and natural laws.

Ultimately, their way of life boils down to this: a lie.

And a lie is a lie is a lie, no matter how much "piety" they attempt to purfume it with!

Eisenhans

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 01, 2011 - 7:25PM #3
Mak_jo_si

Evil brings harm to people because it is agains our human nature, whenever there are evil around, your body reacts with negatives. Commonly seen symtoms are that people become very aggressive, hot headed, bad temper, grumpy, bitchy, like to swear, and have bad relationships with their love one etc,. Other things that can happen is you will get sick, tired, drained, hopeless, lost in life, depress, stressed and all that.  When people are polluted with evils too long, they will get frustrated and confused or even clouded most of the time.  Things in their head tells them something is wrong, but they will make excuses or find escape to it to suppress their own feelings and later bring themselves back into the same deep hole again.  It takes a strong will power to get rid of the hole and say "I need help".  Among my clients and customers, 80% of them who are polluted refused to ask for help and accept they got in deep troubles from the past, even they know it is a problem.  AFter a while they try other paths, which doesn't work, they come back and decided to try ours and finally it worked for them and they fall in love with the "cleaness" they get after exorcism.  It's a big difference. Clean and dirty., your choice.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 02, 2011 - 12:45PM #4
jbkranger

"When beauty is recognized as beauty...ugliness is created. When good is recognized as good... bad is created"

the Tao te Ching

I think this passage from the Tao is telling us that there is no "evil" without "good" and that good and evil are really two heads of the same coin.  There can be no "left" without a "right. "Front" implies "back." They are all just labels that are ever-changing and impermanent.

Good and evil are the flawed thinking of the Abrahamic faiths (Judaism, Christinaity and Islam). In that mindset, if something is "evil" you must be opposed to it of course. How can we possible be perceived as cooperating with evil? What does one do when there is no evil left to conquer?

That flawed thinking leads us astray in many ways.

Joey

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 02, 2011 - 3:53PM #5
Mak_jo_si

May 2, 2011 -- 12:45PM, jbkranger wrote:

"When beauty is recognized as beauty...ugliness is created. When good is recognized as good... bad is created"

the Tao te Ching

I think this passage from the Tao is telling us that there is no "evil" without "good" and that good and evil are really two heads of the same coin.  There can be no "left" without a "right. "Front" implies "back." They are all just labels that are ever-changing and impermanent.

Good and evil are the flawed thinking of the Abrahamic faiths (Judaism, Christinaity and Islam). In that mindset, if something is "evil" you must be opposed to it of course. How can we possible be perceived as cooperating with evil? What does one do when there is no evil left to conquer?

That flawed thinking leads us astray in many ways.

Joey

Your passage of Tao Te Ching was wrongly translated and that is why it doesn't make much sense. Yes, you can say the law of opposit, and here I can still explain it to you.

Refer evil as in "virus" as those "virus that cause disease or illness".  You have good health (positive) and when "virus" are there, you get sick (evil attack!)

When there are no evil left, then you have achieve a good health, good life, good mood. That's what Taoist train to do, they train to exorcise all evils out, and that's the way to upkeep a good healthy life.

Evil is not from Christianity, it's just your background is like that.  Even in Chinese Medic, we talk about evil all the time, as in "anything negative to human body".  You do not get the TTC right at chapter1 already, maybe reading some translation like Stephen m's?

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook