4 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2011 - 8:10PM #1
Jupiter6208
Would the Elca Be concidered a Liberal /Progressive denomination if yes how so if not how so.
"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2011 - 11:54AM #2
WannabeTheo

Apr 23, 2011 -- 8:10PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

Would the Elca Be concidered a Liberal /Progressive denomination if yes how so if not how so.

Well, people disagree on the meanings of the terms, and even if they could agree, the extent of 'liberalness' or 'progressiveness' is subjective.  Also, it can very greatly from congregation to congregation, and even between individuals within a congregation.

Having said all that, I would say that to the degree that a liberal/conservative continuum exists, the ELCA would be on the liberal side.  Not as liberal as the United Church of Christ (UCC) or the Episcopal Church (ECUSA), maybe very slightly more liberal than the Presbyterians (PCUSA) and Methodists (UMC).

What do I mean by liberal?  Good question.  Some of the 'outward' manifestations are the acceptance of female and homosexual clergy.  Also, a willingness to work with others and take down barriers, rather than retreating into our own enclaves of doctrinal purity.  The ELCA has full communion partnerships with the UCC, ECUSA, PCUSA, UMC (mentioned above) as well as the Moravian Church and the Reformed Church in America.  Also, an emphasis on social justice as being the proper way to show our love for God.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2011 - 11:02AM #3
teilhard

The ELCA is continuing the Historical Process of a Shift from a European to an American Faith Community ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2011 - 2:32AM #4
AFskypilot

I would prefer saying that the ELCA is moving from a denominational entity to being part of a more ecumenical body. 

Look at the connections it has made with the Anglicans, Reformed, and Weslyian Traditions.  It continues in talks with the Orthodox traditions.  We have reached substancial agreement with the Roman traditions as well.  We are part of the Lutheran World Federation.  We are a member of the World Council of Churches and the National Council of Churches.

We have spread a pretty wide tent that includes a broad continuum of theological prespectives and political affiliations. 

"Liberal" is a loaded word.  Ecumenical is more like it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2011 - 11:13AM #5
teilhard

I agree ...

Apr 29, 2011 -- 2:32AM, AFskypilot wrote:

"Liberal" is a loaded word.  Ecumenical is more like it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2011 - 2:03PM #6
AFskypilot

Been thinking of the comment that the ELCA is trying to become more Americnized.  In truth, when the earliest parts of the ELCA were formed, there was a movement to become more Americanized--and that was over 200 years ago. 

However, when I look at what people think of the American church now, I see more of a nondemominational praise oriented mega church that preaches a theology of glory.

Lutherans have continually affirmed the theology of the cross.  Sure hope we don't become too Americanized.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2011 - 8:37PM #7
teilhard

I agree ..

There is a HUGE Amount of Cultural-Success Pressure exerted on such as The ELCA to join-in and become Part of the Generalized Shade-of-Gray Lowest-Common-Denominator Protest Ant Multi-Bunch ...

Apr 30, 2011 -- 2:03PM, AFskypilot wrote:

Been thinking of the comment that the ELCA is trying to become more Americnized.  In truth, when the earliest parts of the ELCA were formed, there was a movement to become more Americanized--and that was over 200 years ago. 

However, when I look at what people think of the American church now, I see more of a nondemominational praise oriented mega church that preaches a theology of glory.

Lutherans have continually affirmed the theology of the cross.  Sure hope we don't become too Americanized.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook