Post Reply
Page 2 of 14  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Death: The Grand Illusion
3 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2011 - 12:16AM #11
Neomonist
Posts: 2,670

Apr 23, 2011 -- 12:02AM, Namchuck wrote:


Your kidding yourself. Modern brain research and cognitive studies would likely put the odds about 95/5 in favor of extinction of consciousness when the brain dies. It'd give survival a 5% chance simply out of generosity, although there is little to no indication of it.





I'll grant you that individual consciousness dies but that does not mean that consciousness itself dies. Anyone who identifies themselves with individual consciousness has a rather purile image of reality.


Alan Watts - Cosmic Drama

Standard Disclaimer: This is just my 2cents worth.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2011 - 1:02AM #12
Namchuck
Posts: 10,798

Apr 23, 2011 -- 12:16AM, Neomonist wrote:


Apr 23, 2011 -- 12:02AM, Namchuck wrote:


Your kidding yourself. Modern brain research and cognitive studies would likely put the odds about 95/5 in favor of extinction of consciousness when the brain dies. It'd give survival a 5% chance simply out of generosity, although there is little to no indication of it.





I'll grant you that individual consciousness dies but that does not mean that consciousness itself dies. Anyone who identifies themselves with individual consciousness has a rather purile image of reality.


Alan Watts - Cosmic Drama





There is very little evidence for the survival of consciousness in any form.



Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2011 - 1:06AM #13
Neomonist
Posts: 2,670

Apr 23, 2011 -- 1:02AM, Namchuck wrote:


There is very little evidence for the survival of consciousness in any form.







There is very little against it as well.


I refuse to close my mind to either possibility.

Standard Disclaimer: This is just my 2cents worth.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2011 - 1:10AM #14
Namchuck
Posts: 10,798

Apr 23, 2011 -- 1:06AM, Neomonist wrote:


Apr 23, 2011 -- 1:02AM, Namchuck wrote:


There is very little evidence for the survival of consciousness in any form.







There is very little against it as well.


I refuse to close my mind to either possibility.





Once again, in the absence of any compelling evidence for the survival of consciouness (in any form), the probabilities are not evenly poised.


While I'm open to such evidence, I simply won't indulge my fondness for the idea with wishful thinking. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2011 - 3:16AM #15
Neomonist
Posts: 2,670

It looks as if nobody finds this discussion interesting. Oh well.


 

Standard Disclaimer: This is just my 2cents worth.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2011 - 7:25AM #16
BIRK
Posts: 1,912

   I thought I would but that doesn't seem to be the case.  The energy only flows one way on this board.  Have you noticed?


  There is no discussion here,just chuckles, and he will come into his own awareness in his own time without any help from any woo woo artists such as the like of me.


 With no attachment of my own to any attack, that energy is returned to its point of origin to be experienced as intended.


    That gives a whole new understanding  of the old saying.  So shall ye sow. So shall ye reap.


 


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2011 - 8:04AM #17
Neomonist
Posts: 2,670

Apr 24, 2011 -- 7:25AM, BIRK wrote:


  There is no discussion here...


 




Why bother attempting to have a discussion when you have to wade through a mud puddle of sanctimonious nay-saying?


 


 

Standard Disclaimer: This is just my 2cents worth.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2011 - 8:10AM #18
stardustpilgrim
Posts: 5,277

Apr 23, 2011 -- 1:10AM, Namchuck wrote:


Apr 23, 2011 -- 1:06AM, Neomonist wrote:


Apr 23, 2011 -- 1:02AM, Namchuck wrote:


There is very little evidence for the survival of consciousness in any form.







There is very little against it as well.


I refuse to close my mind to either possibility.





Once again, in the absence of any compelling evidence for the survival of consciouness (in any form), the probabilities are not evenly poised.


While I'm open to such evidence, I simply won't indulge my fondness for the idea with wishful thinking. 




I suppose you don't call accounts of NDE evidence? Just yesterday, I think it was on NPR, there was a guy talking about accounts by young children. He considered this better evidence than that from older kids, teenagers and adults.


And there are accounts where absence of brain function was correlated with later descriptions of actual events, things said or done by doctors or nurses reported by the "dead" patient. 


sdp

The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten.
Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.
The Way of Chuang Tzu by Thomas Merton

A map is not the territory.                                                                 Alfred Korzybski

God is that function in the world by reason of which our purposes are directed to ends which in our own consciousness are impartial as to our own interests. He is that element in life in virtue of which judgment stretches beyond facts of existence to values of existence.      Alfred North Whitehead
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2011 - 8:32AM #19
teilhard
Posts: 48,277

IOW ... Case Closed ...


Apr 23, 2011 -- 1:10AM, Namchuck wrote:


Apr 23, 2011 -- 1:06AM, Neomonist wrote:


Apr 23, 2011 -- 1:02AM, Namchuck wrote:


There is very little evidence for the survival of consciousness in any form.







There is very little against it as well.


I refuse to close my mind to either possibility.





Once again, in the absence of any compelling evidence for the survival of consciouness (in any form), the probabilities are not evenly poised.


While I'm open to such evidence, I simply won't indulge my fondness for the idea with wishful thinking. 





Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2011 - 8:34AM #20
Neomonist
Posts: 2,670

Apr 24, 2011 -- 8:10AM, stardustpilgrim wrote:


I suppose you don't call accounts of NDE evidence?





Hi sdp


I'm sure they are valid experiences, I'm just unsure about how long the individual consciousness persists after death. I think the Buddha was right when he said all coumpounded things are subject to dissolution, but haven't settled whether it is suddenly or gradual.


 

Standard Disclaimer: This is just my 2cents worth.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 14  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook