Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 6 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
6 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2012 - 1:06PM #51
RevDorris

Chapter 53

The Great Tao - A Commentary

When inner sight is gained you begin to possess all-embracing knowledge. You begin to live and act in accord with the great Tao. People will see and imitate what you do but the great Tao is unknown to them. They will become side tracked unless you teach them what you know.

Humanity exists at a cross-road. People are looking for guidance and aid. Many truly want to know the truth of the Tao. When you follow this path, the way is level and easy. People will love you when you teach them what you know.

We have great institutions, churches, temples, and mosques that are splendid to the sight. Their teaching however are far from the truth for they are full of weeds. The people who follow them are unable to bear good fruit. Many have great possessions, indulge themselves with food and drink but they give no thought to what is good for the family of humanity.

The strong take from the weak. The rich enslave the poor. We maintain control with weapons of war. We use force to convert other to our views. This is not the way of the Tao.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2012 - 12:53AM #52
RevDorris

Chapter 56  The Great Tao - A Commentary

Those who know the Tao do not speak their own thoughts and words.  There are many who speak without authority in hopes of personal gain.  Much confusion results in the hearts and mind of those who come to learn.

A true Sage and teacher will guide but not demand obedience or conformity.  They will open the doors to the heart and mind with simple words that all can understand.  They will instruct like a parent does their child.  This Sage is in harmony with the Tao.

Others may teach but do not understand the union of the Spirit and the Earth.  People looking for honor may cause more harm than good.  They may take advantage of the people who come to them for help.

A true Sage will not degrade anyone or take advantage of those in need.  He or she will not look for honors but will look on all humanity as family.  They will know that all are truly children of the Tao.  This is the high state of humanity.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2012 - 9:18AM #53
RevDorris

Chapter 19  A Commentary

In our world people chase after great wealth. Their hearts are set on attaining material things. The teachings of the sages are rejected. The services of the wise are discarded. Control, greed, and power seem to rule the day.

The governments forget their primary role is to serve and protect the people. This is the mandate of heaven; to care for all the people in a benevolent and just way. In forgetting this mandate greed and corruption enter the hearts and minds of those whose task is to govern. Disorder and chaos follow. This seems to set up an endless cycle, but this cycle can be broken.

The people rebel and know in their hearts this is not the proper way. When the governments fail in their duties the people can seek out the sages and the wise to guide them. They can seek a return to the natural qualities of piety and compassion and a return to the way of universal love.

Wastefulness and hoarding will be renounced. Excess wealth will be freely shared with the needy, the orphans, and the widows. The people will look upon all others as family and treat them in a loving, fair, and just way. This will lead to greater harmony and peace.

Each man and woman will know they have value. They will do their part to the best of their ability. Government and life will be good guided by knowledge and wisdom.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 28, 2012 - 4:28PM #54
RevDorris

I would like to thank those of you who have read this thread.  It was a honor to be able to write and share my commentary on the Great Tao.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2012 - 1:38AM #55
RevDorris

Chapter 20

The Great Tao -- A Commmentary

There are many things we can do to improve our lot and our world.  We can learn to look on the reality of things.  We can learn to seek, find, and preserve the simple truths.  We can put an end to the cycle of greed and control.  We can learn to be less selfish and share with others the abundance we have.  We can research and learn which doctrines will work and learn from our past what does not.  In this way we can avoid much suffering and sorrow.

There is a small distance between positive affirmative action and sitting back doing nothing.  Yet, there is a wide gap between virtue and immorality.  Many people let fear control their life.  The rulers and controllers take full advantage of this.  With just a little knowledge and affirmative action this fear can be overcome.  We cannot let fear mongers take control.  If we neglect our duty, this will happen.  We will live in the night of ignorance and fear.

This world is full of wonder.  Life can be joyful and good.  We can make each day sacred to us.  We can do each task to the best of our ability.  Our work will bear its fruit at the appropriate time.  We do not need to worry about the future if we do what is proper today.  Take time to contemplate these things.  Find the quietness that allows you to listen to your heart.

You will grow from an infant into a child.  Every child has a home with the One.  There is no need to search for truths in every corner of the world.  Wherever you are the One is there with you.  You will find a peace within that is more precious than the greatest material wealth.

If you relinquish everything – more will be provided in abundance to meet your needs.  There is a profound secret here.

Many say I have the heart of a fool because I love and freely share my knowledge and wisdom.  To them I may seem dim and confused for fortunes are made by the vulgar charlatans.  Yes, to them I am a clown.  Are they truly enlightened?

I can sit alone with the deep darkness.  I can float upon the sea of life.  Like the water in a flowing river, I know my destination.  I know my energy and Spirit will be replenished each day.  I honor my Father and my Mother.  I am a child of the One. This is more valuable to me than the greatest material wealth.

Know that you too are a child and can complete the journey of life with all your brothers and sisters.  You can achieve a state of harmony and peace that is full of wonder.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2012 - 1:23PM #56
RevDorris

What is Tao?

Tao is more than religion, more than philosophy.  It is life itself in all its forms.  It is the Spirit from which all originates.  It is you and me and all created and nonexistent beings and things.  It is the One encompassing the all. Our words can only point to this Tao or Way.  The individual must come to their own conclusion and walk the path that is before them.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2013 - 2:27PM #57
RevDorris

We learn

It is never too late

We learn each day and night

Make the connection

The light will come

Night and day – dark and light

Each term has a multitude of meanings

Listen as the rooster crows at mid-night

Listen when it greets the rising sun

Know there is more – strive to learn

The veils between the worlds grow thin

Reach for the stars – shine like the sun

Nothing will be withheld – be open

Words of power radiate light

Simple words carry the fire

The darkness is replaced by light

It is never too late

In time we learn the balance

We know everything has its place

We speak not of right and wrong

The river of life is loving and true.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2013 - 5:27PM #58
TransJ

Jul 17, 2012 -- 1:23PM, RevDorris wrote:

What is Tao?

Tao is more than religion, more than philosophy.  It is life itself in all its forms.  It is the Spirit from which all originates.  It is you and me and all created and nonexistent beings and things.  It is the One encompassing the all. Our words can only point to this Tao or Way.  The individual must come to their own conclusion and walk the path that is before them.

This sounds pantheistic or Panentheistic to me, I do not mind the monism of your point of view, but you are saying that the Tao is conscience through conscience beings in it as part of it. Do you think Taoism is pantheistic or Panentheistic?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2013 - 1:32PM #59
RevDorris

Tao is about Tao.  It is about oneness, unity, harmony, balance, and peace.  It addresses the positive and the negative as two sides of the same coin.  It points to the wholeness of life in all its forms.  It can be pantheism or panentheism   It includes all these and much more, for the words we use are limiting and tend to divide us into small boxes.  Modern terms are inadequate.  What we read, write, and say can only point us to the Way.  Each individual must walk their path, each in their own way.

I use the term Unitarianism for it includes all as a part of the One.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2013 - 6:38PM #60
TransJ

Apr 7, 2013 -- 1:32PM, RevDorris wrote:

Tao is about Tao.  It is about oneness, unity, harmony, balance, and peace.  It addresses the positive and the negative as two sides of the same coin.  It points to the wholeness of life in all its forms.  It can be pantheism or panentheism   It includes all these and much more, for the words we use are limiting and tend to divide us into small boxes.  Modern terms are inadequate.  What we read, write, and say can only point us to the Way.  Each individual must walk their path, each in their own way.

I use the term Unitarianism for it includes all as a part of the One.

So, Taoist can’t say precisely what the Tao is, just that it is and is the source of all. How would you know that you are pointing at the right thing? Well, anyway to me it is a form of transtheism and in that sense I can accept it as part of the tradition that I follow.

Unitarianism is appealing in its openness.     

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook