Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 3 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
7 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2011 - 8:26PM #21
RevDorris

Study the Great Masters.

Learn the similarities in what they wrote.

See where later modifications were made.

Apply what you feel is true.

Be optimistic – you will succeed.

New paths will open for you.

The more you understand the more you will be given.

The Spirit will be your guide.

Your perspective will change.

Ignorance will fade away.

Knowledge and Wisdom will light the way.

You will walk as God's child.

The robe of love will surround you.

A bright light will radiate from you.

You will serve as a care-giver and guide.

All humanity will be your family.

Few will take the time – or make the effort.

The potential for development is great.

Stay with the status-quo – or grow.

The Spirit waits for you to decide.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2011 - 9:06PM #22
Jupiter6208

Apr 24, 2011 -- 7:12PM, RevDorris wrote:

I don't care much for beer -- if coffee is not available I like Green Tea with ginseng and honey.

As to kicks in the pants to start conversations -- that does not work except in politics.  Here  most people want to learn or have questions answered.  We do not have to agree but can agree to disagree.  This is the primary use of these forums -- open discussions about the faith and beliefs.  As you have said there are many different forms of Taoism.  People can decide for themselves which is best when they are given positive information, direction and guidance.

If I post something that is wrong -- then post what is a better interpretation.  To say I am or someone else is wrong and then give no alternative leads to frustration and anger.  The readers will decide for themselves what is right for them.  You may look at it as being part of the solution and not adding to the problem.

Now it was said that 'unity is impossible' -- but this very statement is against the TAO.  The TAO is everywhere, the creator of all things (and that includes thoughts).  There is already unity -- all we have to do is rediscover it.

When people close their minds and say 'mine is the only correct way' they erect barriers and walls.  Animosity is created between all.  This is not TAO.  My way of understanding may be different from yours.  If these walls to understanding are not torn down -- then this world is in deep trouble.

By the way i was being Sarcastic, you Guys have fun.

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2011 - 12:47AM #23
Taoman

The Tao Te Ching is a lesson on teaching and living basic virtues.  The Emperor hopes that by publishing it, people can learn and teach each other basic virtues like defending themselves against bandits and proper etiquette allowing the people of China to look after themselves, make money, and be good tax payers so the Emperor can concentrate on his most important job:  killing enemies.  

When Buddhism completed its displacement of Taoism in the Qing dynasty, the leaders forgot about the killing enemies part...

In previous centuries, win or lose, China raised armies that would have made Julius Caesar soil himself. To be defeated by 19,000 soldiers in the First Opium War and 17,000 soldiers in the second... is beyond humiliating.

Like the Tao Te Ching says... if you don't keep a strong standing army with the best equipment and discipline, your country is doomed... that's just the way nature is.

If you don't believe that the big fish eat the little fish, check out the nature channel. 

Let me say it new age style:

~~~

When an animal has meat and fat, others will eat it.

When a country has riches, nations will plunder it.

When a person has soul energy, religions will take it.  

That is the way of the Tao.

~~~

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2011 - 4:36AM #24
Mak_jo_si

Apr 24, 2011 -- 4:50PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

Thank you! now that's Religion  No Unity,  My way is the best way yours is not  now that's the truth!  

If unity is possible, that is no difference than domination.  How can the world have unity among countries?  a domination is required, and so there will be one ruler at the end.  Is that what you want to see happen in the world? 

We are not telling you my way is the only way, I am telling you my way is like this, and it is called Taoism, Tin Yat Lineage.  If you like it, you can take it, if you don't like it, leave it. That's just another option in the world to choose from. 

But seeing a rev around posting Tao Te Ching by just quoting just make me want to jam in and express my view. If he got his own view, feel free to do so.  I am not going to convert him from a Rev to a Taoist anyway, but I just got confused about why he is spending time in the TTC and not his own bible. That' s just way too hilarious.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2011 - 4:53AM #25
Mak_jo_si

Apr 24, 2011 -- 7:12PM, RevDorris wrote:

I don't care much for beer -- if coffee is not available I like Green Tea with ginseng and honey.

As to kicks in the pants to start conversations -- that does not work except in politics.  Here  most people want to learn or have questions answered.  We do not have to agree but can agree to disagree.  This is the primary use of these forums -- open discussions about the faith and beliefs.  As you have said there are many different forms of Taoism.  People can decide for themselves which is best when they are given positive information, direction and guidance.

If I post something that is wrong -- then post what is a better interpretation.  To say I am or someone else is wrong and then give no alternative leads to frustration and anger.  The readers will decide for themselves what is right for them.  You may look at it as being part of the solution and not adding to the problem.

Now it was said that 'unity is impossible' -- but this very statement is against the TAO.  The TAO is everywhere, the creator of all things (and that includes thoughts).  There is already unity -- all we have to do is rediscover it.

When people close their minds and say 'mine is the only correct way' they erect barriers and walls.  Animosity is created between all.  This is not TAO.  My way of understanding may be different from yours.  If these walls to understanding are not torn down -- then this world is in deep trouble.

Cool to encounter you again and talk.

Yes, coffee is available but I doubt you know how to drink it properly though. It takes long time to learn how to tell what is a good cup of coffee and which cup is harmful to health. If your coffee are those that come from Second Cup or something, your standard is too low, too far away from leisure and enjoyment.  Do you brew your own cup with the espresso machine?  It's tough to brew a good cup!  My TAOppacino is always good, enjoy one, here!

makchingyuen.wordpress.com/2011/01/14/ta...

Green Tea is from Japan, Ginseng is from orea, honey maybe from your backyard, no wonder you are not getting close to Taoism. Taoism is originated from China in history. If you want to get closer, you need a cup of Oolong Tea or something.  Have fun searching, you need to do more research on what you are searching to drink, if not, you are drinking korean stuff but talking Chinese, how hilarious you are!   I said beer suits you better because I thought you always drink it when you post here.  I thought you were drunk too~ LOL!

Your perspective of "Tao is everywhere" is mainly new age, and it's not Taoism. Tao is not everywhere, Tao is in nature, but only those with wisdom will find it. It's like there are many roads in town, but only if you got a map you will know how to find the right one to drive on and get to the destination.  Who just like to wander on all the streets and expect they will get there is just day dreaming, it's even fantasizing.  You won't get there.  You need a map, and that, is a master of guidance.  A book is not a master, it will not tell you that you went wrong when you step on the wrong path.  A real person is what you need, at least they can shout the heck out of you when you walked 10 miles in the wrong direction and call you back. The problem with new agers is the same, they like to self-learn, now, what if they have been wrong all the way?  Nobody step out and tell them they are wrong, and so they think they remain right forever. That's just putting an escape to reality, you are hiding from reality and not accepting the wrongs. That's just not a way of wisdom, not a way to go.

If kids and adults can achieve unity, then that's a big problem. Like if kids and adults are mixed in a board room of some big companies, making decisions, the kids will just tell their wild ideas and crazy thoughts, the adults will tell them to shut up. There is no unity to be possible. When wisdom and knowledge are too far apart, there is really not a point of unity possible. your way is way off the track and I am not telling you my way is the only way, I can tell you only that your way is wrong because of the way you studied it is not even how it should be.  Using a book as a master, that's just buzzard and hilarious.  The book don't talk to you, and it will not tell you that you have gone wrong.  So you are always right then, in your own little world only.  Of course you always like the word oneness, because you just want everybody to agree with you too.  But in reality, that's not how it works. When the kids done something wrong, the parents step up and tell them.  But those who don't have parents will say, yeah, we are always walking on the right paths, even we are wandering on the street all day long, it's still living a life with our own standards, right? um..

Anyway, have fun with your Korean, Japanese and Western new age fusion beverage, I see no Chinese culture in that though, maybe you are better off with beers and peanuts. Oh, no, you better off with grape juice and biscuits, LOL!

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2011 - 8:40AM #26
RevDorris

That loving feeling comes and goes.

Sometimes I have to bite my tongue.

People have free will.

Their foolishness is allowed.

Some people say they have a positive attitude.

The negativity they send out is overwhelming.

Many say that all have freewill.

That applies only if you agree with them.

To talk of love and to be love are different.

As many say talk is cheap.

To be love is to live what you speak.

Strive to achieve this harmony and peace.

The price of being loving is high.

You have to allow others to make mistakes.

You have to be a guide and not a controller.

You have to see the value in each child.

The path of love is narrow but true.

You have to walk your talk each step of the way.

The human family will depend on your guidance.

You will be viewed and judged as God's Child.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2011 - 8:46AM #27
Mak_jo_si

How come when people are out of words they all go poetic and just talk about unrelated things to escape from reality?  Maybe this is what most poets do in the past?  Most poets are full of sorrows, depression and compressed feelings and that is why they need poems to express themselves.  If you can express youreslf in normal daily life by doing normal things like talking to people, you don't even need to express it in such an abstract way.  That's also why I say Stephen M's translation of Tao Te Ching is misleading, it's too abstract and "two-way", it's not getting any point at all, just cloud your mind and make you dream of fantasy land.. it's not right.

Tao Te Ching is a book of virtues, a textbook, it should be direct, striaght forward, and sometimes reapting and boring as well, just like any school books nowadays.  Why do people love to escape from reality and not empty their cup to learn?

Putting GOD in your mind will ruin your path in searching for TAOISM, because you are not pouring your cup of grape juice before asking for tea, what you get is just rubbish because you screwed up your cup of grape juice plus you do not taste the tea as well.  Too bad, sometimes people have no taste and so they don't taste the ruined cup of beverage... it's really not a good thing to tell others to screw their cup up though.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2011 - 2:07AM #28
Eisenhans

Apr 26, 2011 -- 8:40AM, RevDorris wrote:

People have free will.

Well, there was no negativity in that poem, was there?

Eisenhans

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2011 - 2:26AM #29
Eisenhans

Apr 26, 2011 -- 8:40AM, RevDorris wrote:

People have free will.

To talk of love and to be love are different.

As many say talk is cheap.

To be love is to live what you speak.

Strive to achieve this harmony and peace.

The price of being loving is high.

You have to allow others to make mistakes.

You have to be a guide and not a controller.

You have to see the value in each child.

The path of love is narrow but true.

You have to walk your talk each step of the way.

The human family will depend on your guidance.

You will be viewed and judged as God's Child.

RevDorris, I would like to assay my own poem in response to yours.  I will speak from my heart and not mince words.

Not to know Taoism

And yet to presume to teach it

Is offensive.

Taoism does not speak of "God" --

Such is the purview of other religions,

Other ways, cheaters, charlatans, and frauds --

Giving flowery words with one hand

And robbing with the other.

What do they rob?

They rob the natural.

For the God-man, the New-age man,

The Icarus who cannot see his own shadow

As he flies blindly, bird-like, into the "holy light" --

There is no room in his psyche for earth,

Nor for Nature.

He is "too pure" for that.

"Too loving" for that.

And yet it is his "purity" that makes him soiled.

It is his "love" that bars him from real love,

A deep and intimate emotion

That results from the prolonged surveillance

of a foreign soul.

Love is not something that can be honestly given

to the masses,

For love is personal.

Love is a soul-bond between two people.

If you do not know me, how can you love me?

You can at most give kindness.

But what is "kind"?

It is not in preaching unitarianism to me.

This is prosyletization.

It is not in attempting to trick others into unitarianism

Using Taoist and Pseudo-Taoist terminology.

This is a hurtful scam.

If you preach love

and yet cannot even be kind,

Why do you preach?

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2011 - 9:13AM #30
RevDorris

Commentary of Chapter 1 Tao Te Ching

The Tao is the creator of nature and all things within the universe.  The popular or common conceptions are incomplete.  We have given the Tao a name, but this is not an ordinary name.  How do we name the presence of the infinite?

It had a nameless period, prior to the birth of the universe.  We have called this deep darkness, emptiness, the void, and no-thingness.  These reflect our lack of ability to fully comprehend this state.  We name it as the creator and sustained of all things.  Each culture has given this creator a different name.  Some have used the terms the God Most High, the Source, Nashem meaning the name that cannot be named, and Allah, the name that includes all names.

We observe this mystery in the active and passive principles we know.  It is only in the names that we differ in our conceptions of this One.  The active and passive principles we relate to as light and darkness or female and male.  The mystery is that each is contained in and is part of the One.  Knowing this is the gateway to every mystery.

In all areas the priests and sages of mankind wanted to know this One's name.  They were told to tell the people: “I am” meaning god or the creator “is”.  This became “I am” is the Way (The Tao), Truth, and Life.  A great mystery is revealed in this phrase.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook