Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Pause Switch to Standard View The Great Tao
Show More
Flag RevDorris April 10, 2011 7:32 PM EDT

The Great Tao is so all pervasive, how can we tell where its right or left is?

All things depend on it for growth, and it requires nothing from them.

It accomplishes its work, but makes no claim for itself.

It clothes and feeds all, but does not control them.

Chapter 34

Flag RevDorris April 12, 2011 8:40 AM EDT

In harmony with the Tao, the sky is clear and spacious. the earth is solid and full, all creatures flourish together, content with the way they are, endlessly repeating themselves, endlessly renewed. ...................

The Master views the parts with compassion, because he understands the whole.  His constant practice is humility.  He doesn't glitter like a jewel but lets himself be shaped by the Tao, as rugged and common as a stone.

Chapter 39

Flag RevDorris April 12, 2011 11:03 AM EDT

Just stay at the center of the circle and let things take their course.

Life has three things to teach:  Simplicity, Patience, and Compassion.

When we are simple in action and in thought -- we return to the source of our being.

Flag RevDorris April 14, 2011 8:46 AM EDT

He who is in harmony with the Tao is like a newborn child...........

The Master's power is like this.  He lets all things come effortlessly, without desire.  He never expects results; thus he is never disappointed.  He is never disappointed; thus his spirit never grows old.

Chapt 55  New English Version by Stephen Mitchell

Flag RevDorris April 15, 2011 8:25 AM EDT

I like this   Chapter 49  from D.T. Suzuki /Paul Carus 1913

The holy man has not a heart of his own. The hundred families' hearts he makes his heart.

The  good I meet with goodness; the bad I also meet with goodness; that  is  virtue's goodness. The faithful I meet with faith; the faithless I  also  meet with faith; that is virtue's faith.

The holy man dwells in  the world anxious, very anxious in his dealings  with the world. He  universalizes his heart, and the hundred families  fix upon him their  ears and eyes. The holy man treats them all like  children.

Flag RevDorris April 15, 2011 6:09 PM EDT

Isn't amazing that a short tract of words can be and has been translated or commented on in so many different ways. One internet site has over 100 different English translations plus translations in most other languages.

Each  person can find meaning and usefulness in the words.  This is the way  of the wise -- the way of the Tao -- that each person has the freedom to  make the words their own.  Making the words their own -- this becomes  their way.  Still we have a 1000 different levels of meaning and all are  appropriate for the individual at an appropriate time in their life.

Flag RevDorris April 16, 2011 8:19 AM EDT

I enjoyed this on another forum.  Re-posted with permission.

From Chapter 37, Hua Hu Ching "The Secret teachings of Lao Tzu". 

A  superior person cares for the well-being of all things. She does this  by accepting responsibility for the energy she manifests, both actively  and in the subtle realm. Looking at a tree, she sees not an isolated  event but root, leaves, trunk, water, soil and sun: each event related  to the others, and "tree" arising out of their relatedness. Looking at  herself or another, she sees the same thing. Trees and animals, humans  and insects, flowers and birds: These are active images of the subtle  energies that flow from the stars throughout the universe. Meeting and  combining with each other and the elements of the earth, they give rise  to all living things. The superior person understands this, and  understands that her own energies play a part in it. Understanding these  things, she respects the earth as her mother, the heavens as her  father, and all living things as her brothers and sisters. Caring for  them, she knows that she cares for herself. Giving to them, she knows  that she gives to herself. At peace with them, she is always at peace  with herself.

Flag RevDorris April 18, 2011 5:35 PM EDT

Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom.  Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power.

If you realize that you have enough, you are truly rich.  If you stay in the center and embrace death with your whole heart, you will endure forever.

Chapter 33 Stephen Mitchell translation Tao Te Ching

Many people have learned and can see others in relation to their daily life.  They can and do learn how to manipulate others and this is called intelligence and by some strength.  Most people do not take the time to look into their own heart to truly know who they are.  Looking within is the beginning of true growth and wisdom. 

Many have positions where they can control the actions and beliefs of others, but then you see they do not walk their own talk.  They are threatened by every movement of the wind.  When you can control your own reactions to each situation you begin to have true power.  So focus on how you react to situations, not the situations themselves.  When you can do this you have true power.

We should know that we have enough to meet our needs and we do not have to chase after what we do not need.  When you know you have enough, you then have an abundance to share -- this makes you truly rich.  From this abundance you can truly freely share with others.

Death is hard to embrace. But being willing to give something up is a kind of death.  That something no longer has control over your life.  This death is not truly death but transition from one level of existence to another.  The center is the One that is in everything and is everywhere. This One or Center is an eternal life and spirit that is beyond our ability to name.  When you can embrace this and know you are a part of this center -- death looses its power.  Your whole heart is renewed and you enter into the realm of eternal existence and life.

Flag RevDorris April 20, 2011 1:34 AM EDT

Erect a center pole -- set it firmly -- for it represents LOVE.

Around that pole let two snakes be intertwined --these represent KNOWLEDGE AND WISDOM.

When complete this represents God's Child.

Today  our medical doctors use a modification of this symbol, but in truth, it  represents each one of us who is striving to improve ourselves and our  world.

You could say this is part of the unwritten Tao.

Flag RevDorris April 21, 2011 8:51 PM EDT

My teachings are easy to understand and easy to put into practice.  Yet your intellect will never grasp them, and if you try to practice them you will fail. My teachings are older than the world.  How can you grasp their meaning?  If you want to know me, look inside your heart.

Chapter 70  Stephen Mitchell translation

When they loose their sense of awe, people turn to religion.  When they no longer trust themselves, they begin to depend  upon authority.    Therefore the master steps back so that people will not be confused. He teaches without teaching, so that people will have nothing to learn.

Chapter 72 Stephen Mitchell translation

Always keep looking and keep listening.  The Tao will become who you are.    A Master does not act like a Guru or Messiah.  He does not want to keep people dependent upon him for this will keep them spiritually immature.  When people treat him like a holy man, he nips this in the bud and points them to the inner guide they have within their heart.

Flag RevDorris April 21, 2011 9:10 PM EDT

All things are produced by the Tao, and nourished by its outflowing  operation. They receive their forms according to the nature of each, and  are completed according to the circumstances of their condition.  Therefore all things without exception honour the Tao, and exalt its  outflowing operation.

This honouring of the Tao and exalting of its operation is not the result of any ordination, but always a spontaneous tribute.

Thus  it is that the Tao produces (all things), nourishes them, brings them  to their full growth, nurses them, completes them, matures them,  maintains them, and overspreads them.

It produces them and makes  no claim to the possession of them; it carries them through their  processes and does not vaunt its ability in doing so; it brings them to  maturity and exercises no control over them;--this is called its  mysterious operation.

Chapter 51 James Legge Translation 1891

Flag Eisenhans April 23, 2011 1:20 PM EDT

Apr 14, 2011 -- 8:46AM, RevDorris wrote:

He who is in harmony with the Tao is like a newborn child...........

The Master's power is like this.  He lets all things come effortlessly, without desire.  He never expects results; thus he is never disappointed.  He is never disappointed; thus his spirit never grows old.

Chapt 55  New English Version by Stephen Mitchell

No, that is wrong on every count.  RevDorris, Stephen Mitchell is a hard-core new-ager, not a Taoist.  

A Taoist Master does not "let all things come effortlessly" -- he works hard to earn a living.

Nor is a Taoist master "without desire."  What a passionless, numb, dead being that would make him!

Nor does a Taoist master "never expect results."  Because he knows how the game of life works, he can expect certain things (and be correct in those expectations) based on his actions and the conditions around him.  In fact, he can see the end result of things just by observing their beginnings.  (The same theme shows up in "Art of War.")

And they do get disappointed.  Taoists are human, too! 

Their spirits do grow old as well -- they are not stuck in an eternal childhood.  They grow in wisdom, understanding, and power.

You might enjoy teaching people about Taoism, but realize that it's not Taoism you're teaching.  It's new-age fluff, which is quite different.  In fact, as I hope I've pointed out, new-age is often anti-Taoist. 

It is misleading and dishonest to try to pass off new-age as Taoism. 

Eisenhans

Flag Mak_jo_si April 23, 2011 3:34 PM EDT

People cannot expect anything in life because they don't have the wisdom to do so. If you are feeling insure in life, or your life is empty, it's only because you do not have the wisdom to plan well and grasp on to your own life.  That's not Taoism. 

We Taoist can really have wisdom and know everything in life, be able to predict, foresee, forecast things in life and know how things will turn out before it happen.  That's call wisdom.  With wisdom, we can make life better, make life easier and improve your life with our skills. 

If Taoism cannot improve your life, why do you learn it?  To screw youreslf up more?

New-agers are often very empty, hollow and self enclosed.  This is because they are all self-learned and they know their skills is not even close to baby grade in the real deal, and so they lack the confident and feeling of secure, at the end, it turns out they became VERY high in self-esteem, leading them to always like to spread their words to the other people to make themselves feel right.  In fact, that's the main disease that kills.  They do realize what they got is not bringing them any benefits, but they tried to day dream they did and flood themselves in a paradise.  It's not healthy, it's mind killing, just like a deadly poison with sugar coat.

Flag RevDorris April 23, 2011 7:44 PM EDT

Frederic Henry Balfour

[Shanghai and London, 1884]

His translation of the Tao Te Ching is based on the commentary of Lu Ch'un-yang, commonly called Lu Tsu, the well-known Taoist patriarch of the 8th century.

A few thoughts need to be considered:  The Great Tao is all-pervasive; it may be seen on the right and the left.  All things depend upon it, and are produced by it; it denies itself to none.

We must know there are scholars of many different grades:

When scholars of the first grade hear the Tao, they sedulously practice it.

When second-rate scholars hear of it, they now observe, now lose it.

When scholars of the lowest sort hear of it, they greatly deride it.  If it did not provoke derision on the part of such people, it would not be worth the name of TAO.

But remember:

What TAO produces, its Energy nourishes.  The things so produced and nourished have form, which is determined by the nature of their surroundings; so that there is nothing in the whole world that does not reflect honor upon the TAO and reverence upon its Energy.

The honor thus paid to the one, and the reverence paid to the other, is the result of no command; it is the ordinary and natural condition of things.  Therefore what TAO produces, Energy nourishes.  Everything is nurtured as it grows; is brought to maturity when complete; is protected while being fed.  TAO produces without claiming merit; it works without presuming; it causes increase without destroying.  This is called sublime Virtue.

Just as there are many translations and commentaries on the Bible, there are many translations and commentaries on the Tao Te Ching.  Each person has their favorite translation and many try to claim that their translation is the only correct and acceptable one.

Those translations that are good will be nourished by the TAO.  The words used will be meaningful and acceptable to the people of a given place and time.  Proper reverence can be given to each translation for it meets the needs of its follower till they find the true teachings of the TAO written within their heart.

Flag Mak_jo_si April 24, 2011 5:58 AM EDT

Wrong understanding of the word "TAO" realy screw people up.  As a Chinese saying say "one millimeter wrong at first will lead to thousand miles difference at the end".  Even in Chinese Taoism religion lineages and sects, there are many who survived in history and lived till today but they have gone crooked, evil and bizzard.  Such as the Zhen Yi Sect that started to worship the fox demon since their 30th generation and now they are on their 65th generation.  When their 64th generation leader pass away from a LIVER DISEASE, they all say he ascended and achieve immortality, see how that lie is so obvious to a child?  How come one can achieve immortality with such a bad way of suffering death?  He can't even rest in peace, see how that lie is brainwashing the public?  Just because their temple is old, doesn't mean they are right all the way.  They are living through history because they got money, they work with government and they are okay with doing secret deals at the back to earn their big bucks and all that.  It's politics you know?  Not about their stuff is good or not.  They could be dressed a Taoist but what they do inside can be something else, maybe even the whole temple is run by the government too!  Look at all that promotion worldwide when the 64th generation leader of Zhen Yi Sect die, it was all over the globe in all media, which is just hilarious, he die from a liver disease, with suffer and pain, but promoted to be death and became immortal, that's what I call a lie. 

Those in China are even not walking straight in their path, westerners who reference to these are going to go even more off track only and not anywhere close!

Flag RevDorris April 24, 2011 8:51 AM EDT

May we use this forum to bring harmony not more division.

Positive thoughts and ideas that will help us to achieve a state of unity and peace.

Flag Mak_jo_si April 24, 2011 9:04 AM EDT

What is the use of forums anyway?

Unity? Maybe not. But we offer things for others to read and choose what they like and that is all we can do.  By the way, my way of Taoism is not about "oneness" as I told you before. When things can't mix, it cannot be mixed.  A cup of beer mxed into a cup of tea is not tea anymore.  Now there are just tea and beer on the table, let others choose what they want to drink, don't tell people to mix them or else you are screwing their taste up.

Of course, during the mean whle, you sell your beers, I sell my tea, but all promotions involve some hard kick to trigger competitions, that's how the market sparkles up!

Flag Eisenhans April 24, 2011 2:41 PM EDT

Apr 24, 2011 -- 8:51AM, RevDorris wrote:

May we use this forum to bring harmony not more division.

Positive thoughts and ideas that will help us to achieve a state of unity and peace.

RevDorris, no, unity is not possible, even theoretically.  You cannot unite unitarianism and anti-unitarianism, for example. 

Same thing with Taoism.  You cannot "unite" it with just anything.  How will you unite it with new-age, for example, which is anti-Taoist?  That doesn't make sense.

You may find it more harmonious to post in the Unitarian Universalist forum at b-net.

Eisenhans

Flag Jupiter6208 April 24, 2011 4:50 PM EDT

Thank you! now that's Religion  No Unity,  My way is the best way yours is not  now that's the truth!  

Flag RevDorris April 24, 2011 7:12 PM EDT

I don't care much for beer -- if coffee is not available I like Green Tea with ginseng and honey.

As to kicks in the pants to start conversations -- that does not work except in politics.  Here  most people want to learn or have questions answered.  We do not have to agree but can agree to disagree.  This is the primary use of these forums -- open discussions about the faith and beliefs.  As you have said there are many different forms of Taoism.  People can decide for themselves which is best when they are given positive information, direction and guidance.

If I post something that is wrong -- then post what is a better interpretation.  To say I am or someone else is wrong and then give no alternative leads to frustration and anger.  The readers will decide for themselves what is right for them.  You may look at it as being part of the solution and not adding to the problem.

Now it was said that 'unity is impossible' -- but this very statement is against the TAO.  The TAO is everywhere, the creator of all things (and that includes thoughts).  There is already unity -- all we have to do is rediscover it.

When people close their minds and say 'mine is the only correct way' they erect barriers and walls.  Animosity is created between all.  This is not TAO.  My way of understanding may be different from yours.  If these walls to understanding are not torn down -- then this world is in deep trouble.

Flag RevDorris April 24, 2011 8:26 PM EDT

Study the Great Masters.

Learn the similarities in what they wrote.

See where later modifications were made.

Apply what you feel is true.

Be optimistic – you will succeed.

New paths will open for you.

The more you understand the more you will be given.

The Spirit will be your guide.

Your perspective will change.

Ignorance will fade away.

Knowledge and Wisdom will light the way.

You will walk as God's child.

The robe of love will surround you.

A bright light will radiate from you.

You will serve as a care-giver and guide.

All humanity will be your family.

Few will take the time – or make the effort.

The potential for development is great.

Stay with the status-quo – or grow.

The Spirit waits for you to decide.

Flag Jupiter6208 April 24, 2011 9:06 PM EDT

Apr 24, 2011 -- 7:12PM, RevDorris wrote:

I don't care much for beer -- if coffee is not available I like Green Tea with ginseng and honey.

As to kicks in the pants to start conversations -- that does not work except in politics.  Here  most people want to learn or have questions answered.  We do not have to agree but can agree to disagree.  This is the primary use of these forums -- open discussions about the faith and beliefs.  As you have said there are many different forms of Taoism.  People can decide for themselves which is best when they are given positive information, direction and guidance.

If I post something that is wrong -- then post what is a better interpretation.  To say I am or someone else is wrong and then give no alternative leads to frustration and anger.  The readers will decide for themselves what is right for them.  You may look at it as being part of the solution and not adding to the problem.

Now it was said that 'unity is impossible' -- but this very statement is against the TAO.  The TAO is everywhere, the creator of all things (and that includes thoughts).  There is already unity -- all we have to do is rediscover it.

When people close their minds and say 'mine is the only correct way' they erect barriers and walls.  Animosity is created between all.  This is not TAO.  My way of understanding may be different from yours.  If these walls to understanding are not torn down -- then this world is in deep trouble.

By the way i was being Sarcastic, you Guys have fun.

Flag Taoman April 25, 2011 12:47 AM EDT

The Tao Te Ching is a lesson on teaching and living basic virtues.  The Emperor hopes that by publishing it, people can learn and teach each other basic virtues like defending themselves against bandits and proper etiquette allowing the people of China to look after themselves, make money, and be good tax payers so the Emperor can concentrate on his most important job:  killing enemies.  

When Buddhism completed its displacement of Taoism in the Qing dynasty, the leaders forgot about the killing enemies part...

In previous centuries, win or lose, China raised armies that would have made Julius Caesar soil himself. To be defeated by 19,000 soldiers in the First Opium War and 17,000 soldiers in the second... is beyond humiliating.

Like the Tao Te Ching says... if you don't keep a strong standing army with the best equipment and discipline, your country is doomed... that's just the way nature is.

If you don't believe that the big fish eat the little fish, check out the nature channel. 

Let me say it new age style:

~~~

When an animal has meat and fat, others will eat it.

When a country has riches, nations will plunder it.

When a person has soul energy, religions will take it.  

That is the way of the Tao.

~~~

Flag Mak_jo_si April 25, 2011 4:36 AM EDT

Apr 24, 2011 -- 4:50PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

Thank you! now that's Religion  No Unity,  My way is the best way yours is not  now that's the truth!  

If unity is possible, that is no difference than domination.  How can the world have unity among countries?  a domination is required, and so there will be one ruler at the end.  Is that what you want to see happen in the world? 

We are not telling you my way is the only way, I am telling you my way is like this, and it is called Taoism, Tin Yat Lineage.  If you like it, you can take it, if you don't like it, leave it. That's just another option in the world to choose from. 

But seeing a rev around posting Tao Te Ching by just quoting just make me want to jam in and express my view. If he got his own view, feel free to do so.  I am not going to convert him from a Rev to a Taoist anyway, but I just got confused about why he is spending time in the TTC and not his own bible. That' s just way too hilarious.

Flag Mak_jo_si April 25, 2011 4:53 AM EDT

Apr 24, 2011 -- 7:12PM, RevDorris wrote:

Cool to encounter you again and talk.

Yes, coffee is available but I doubt you know how to drink it properly though. It takes long time to learn how to tell what is a good cup of coffee and which cup is harmful to health. If your coffee are those that come from Second Cup or something, your standard is too low, too far away from leisure and enjoyment.  Do you brew your own cup with the espresso machine?  It's tough to brew a good cup!  My TAOppacino is always good, enjoy one, here!

makchingyuen.wordpress.com/2011/01/14/ta...

Green Tea is from Japan, Ginseng is from orea, honey maybe from your backyard, no wonder you are not getting close to Taoism. Taoism is originated from China in history. If you want to get closer, you need a cup of Oolong Tea or something.  Have fun searching, you need to do more research on what you are searching to drink, if not, you are drinking korean stuff but talking Chinese, how hilarious you are!   I said beer suits you better because I thought you always drink it when you post here.  I thought you were drunk too~ LOL!

Your perspective of "Tao is everywhere" is mainly new age, and it's not Taoism. Tao is not everywhere, Tao is in nature, but only those with wisdom will find it. It's like there are many roads in town, but only if you got a map you will know how to find the right one to drive on and get to the destination.  Who just like to wander on all the streets and expect they will get there is just day dreaming, it's even fantasizing.  You won't get there.  You need a map, and that, is a master of guidance.  A book is not a master, it will not tell you that you went wrong when you step on the wrong path.  A real person is what you need, at least they can shout the heck out of you when you walked 10 miles in the wrong direction and call you back. The problem with new agers is the same, they like to self-learn, now, what if they have been wrong all the way?  Nobody step out and tell them they are wrong, and so they think they remain right forever. That's just putting an escape to reality, you are hiding from reality and not accepting the wrongs. That's just not a way of wisdom, not a way to go.

If kids and adults can achieve unity, then that's a big problem. Like if kids and adults are mixed in a board room of some big companies, making decisions, the kids will just tell their wild ideas and crazy thoughts, the adults will tell them to shut up. There is no unity to be possible. When wisdom and knowledge are too far apart, there is really not a point of unity possible. your way is way off the track and I am not telling you my way is the only way, I can tell you only that your way is wrong because of the way you studied it is not even how it should be.  Using a book as a master, that's just buzzard and hilarious.  The book don't talk to you, and it will not tell you that you have gone wrong.  So you are always right then, in your own little world only.  Of course you always like the word oneness, because you just want everybody to agree with you too.  But in reality, that's not how it works. When the kids done something wrong, the parents step up and tell them.  But those who don't have parents will say, yeah, we are always walking on the right paths, even we are wandering on the street all day long, it's still living a life with our own standards, right? um..

Anyway, have fun with your Korean, Japanese and Western new age fusion beverage, I see no Chinese culture in that though, maybe you are better off with beers and peanuts. Oh, no, you better off with grape juice and biscuits, LOL!

Flag RevDorris April 26, 2011 8:40 AM EDT

That loving feeling comes and goes.

Sometimes I have to bite my tongue.

People have free will.

Their foolishness is allowed.

Some people say they have a positive attitude.

The negativity they send out is overwhelming.

Many say that all have freewill.

That applies only if you agree with them.

To talk of love and to be love are different.

As many say talk is cheap.

To be love is to live what you speak.

Strive to achieve this harmony and peace.

The price of being loving is high.

You have to allow others to make mistakes.

You have to be a guide and not a controller.

You have to see the value in each child.

The path of love is narrow but true.

You have to walk your talk each step of the way.

The human family will depend on your guidance.

You will be viewed and judged as God's Child.

Flag Mak_jo_si April 26, 2011 8:46 AM EDT

How come when people are out of words they all go poetic and just talk about unrelated things to escape from reality?  Maybe this is what most poets do in the past?  Most poets are full of sorrows, depression and compressed feelings and that is why they need poems to express themselves.  If you can express youreslf in normal daily life by doing normal things like talking to people, you don't even need to express it in such an abstract way.  That's also why I say Stephen M's translation of Tao Te Ching is misleading, it's too abstract and "two-way", it's not getting any point at all, just cloud your mind and make you dream of fantasy land.. it's not right.

Tao Te Ching is a book of virtues, a textbook, it should be direct, striaght forward, and sometimes reapting and boring as well, just like any school books nowadays.  Why do people love to escape from reality and not empty their cup to learn?

Putting GOD in your mind will ruin your path in searching for TAOISM, because you are not pouring your cup of grape juice before asking for tea, what you get is just rubbish because you screwed up your cup of grape juice plus you do not taste the tea as well.  Too bad, sometimes people have no taste and so they don't taste the ruined cup of beverage... it's really not a good thing to tell others to screw their cup up though.

Flag Eisenhans April 28, 2011 2:07 AM EDT

Apr 26, 2011 -- 8:40AM, RevDorris wrote:

People have free will.

Well, there was no negativity in that poem, was there?

Eisenhans

Flag Eisenhans April 28, 2011 2:26 AM EDT

Apr 26, 2011 -- 8:40AM, RevDorris wrote:

People have free will.

To talk of love and to be love are different.

As many say talk is cheap.

To be love is to live what you speak.

Strive to achieve this harmony and peace.

The price of being loving is high.

You have to allow others to make mistakes.

You have to be a guide and not a controller.

You have to see the value in each child.

The path of love is narrow but true.

You have to walk your talk each step of the way.

The human family will depend on your guidance.

You will be viewed and judged as God's Child.

RevDorris, I would like to assay my own poem in response to yours.  I will speak from my heart and not mince words.

Not to know Taoism

And yet to presume to teach it

Is offensive.

Taoism does not speak of "God" --

Such is the purview of other religions,

Other ways, cheaters, charlatans, and frauds --

Giving flowery words with one hand

And robbing with the other.

What do they rob?

They rob the natural.

For the God-man, the New-age man,

The Icarus who cannot see his own shadow

As he flies blindly, bird-like, into the "holy light" --

There is no room in his psyche for earth,

Nor for Nature.

He is "too pure" for that.

"Too loving" for that.

And yet it is his "purity" that makes him soiled.

It is his "love" that bars him from real love,

A deep and intimate emotion

That results from the prolonged surveillance

of a foreign soul.

Love is not something that can be honestly given

to the masses,

For love is personal.

Love is a soul-bond between two people.

If you do not know me, how can you love me?

You can at most give kindness.

But what is "kind"?

It is not in preaching unitarianism to me.

This is prosyletization.

It is not in attempting to trick others into unitarianism

Using Taoist and Pseudo-Taoist terminology.

This is a hurtful scam.

If you preach love

and yet cannot even be kind,

Why do you preach?

Flag RevDorris April 28, 2011 9:13 AM EDT

Commentary of Chapter 1 Tao Te Ching

The Tao is the creator of nature and all things within the universe.  The popular or common conceptions are incomplete.  We have given the Tao a name, but this is not an ordinary name.  How do we name the presence of the infinite?

It had a nameless period, prior to the birth of the universe.  We have called this deep darkness, emptiness, the void, and no-thingness.  These reflect our lack of ability to fully comprehend this state.  We name it as the creator and sustained of all things.  Each culture has given this creator a different name.  Some have used the terms the God Most High, the Source, Nashem meaning the name that cannot be named, and Allah, the name that includes all names.

We observe this mystery in the active and passive principles we know.  It is only in the names that we differ in our conceptions of this One.  The active and passive principles we relate to as light and darkness or female and male.  The mystery is that each is contained in and is part of the One.  Knowing this is the gateway to every mystery.

In all areas the priests and sages of mankind wanted to know this One's name.  They were told to tell the people: “I am” meaning god or the creator “is”.  This became “I am” is the Way (The Tao), Truth, and Life.  A great mystery is revealed in this phrase.

Flag Mak_jo_si April 28, 2011 9:48 AM EDT

Seriously, if RevDoris is just pasting things from his own website or document, I can understand it, but seems like he is more like a machine here.  "Automatic pasting machine".  Maybe this post or thread should be more like "RevDoris Perspective" instead of "The Great Tao"?  Is your Tao really great?  I doubt it. You are talking about new age theories and not Taoism really. Mixed too much Buddhism stuff in your pot~!  Oh, and I see no Jeuss in you too, why call yourself a REV?

Flag RevDorris May 2, 2011 9:52 AM EDT

Commentary on Chapter 2  Tao Te Ching

What we call duality is a factor in this world.  We know beauty by comparison to our conception of the lack of beauty that some call ugliness.  We know goodness by comparing it to a lack of goodness or what some call evil.  We know what we see as existence and what we do not see as non-existence.  We know the hard and the soft.  We know the high and the low.  We conceive of the spiritual and the material realms.  Everything we conceive has its compliment or opposite.  This is the way of this world.

Sages pursue a policy of balance.  They strive to maintain the harmony of the middle way.  They teach in silence by pointing to the extremes.  This is nature's way too.  When an extreme is reached it returns to the middle way.  From this example people can learn to properly govern their life.

The middle way has been called the way of inaction, the way of harmony, the path of righteousness, and the noble path.  In truth, it is the pathway of love which balances all opposites and extremes.  Once this pathway is achieved the individual needs no doctrine or instruction to control them.  They know within their heart when the balance and harmony is lost and will return themselves to the middle way.

From this point all things are formed.  We labor but do not tire.  We achieve but do not claim possession.  We act as needed in a given situation.

Flag RevDorris May 4, 2011 11:18 AM EDT

Commentary on Chapter 3 Tao Te Ching

We do not claim credit for our accomplishments.  All is done in love to benefit all mankind.  With love we serve the One and the human family.

A sage looks on all men and women as family regardless of their position or station in life.  Each is approached through love with no advantage sought.  If each person followed this example there would be no quarreling, robberies, or corruption.  Each would use their knowledge in a proper way.  There would be no need for restrictions and laws for each would be governed in all their actions by love.

This is a high standard that few achieve.  Most seek power and control.  To maintain control knowledge is restricted or denied to most men and women.  They are kept ignorant so they cannot question what they are taught or told.  Rulers have thought they could control the minds of their people if they only kept them well fed.  Those who questioned were imprisoned or worse.  We have learned through the years that absolute power corrupts absolutely.  The people rebel when they learn that this is not the way it should be.  An inner knowing pushes them to seek a better life and way.

Knowledge shared allows those who wish to find the proper balance and to live in harmony and peace.

Flag RevDorris May 7, 2011 9:09 AM EDT

Commentary on Chapter 4 Tao Te Ching

Before the beginning there was only the One.  It has been called the Tao.  This one was exhaust-less and complete.  Many have compared it to a great circle that contains everything.  Some say it was a single point which expanded and became all that is.  Both these views have merit for they attempt to explain the first beginning.  Before mankind created the gods there was this One.

Today we know the One fills the 7 directions.  It fills what many call the Universal Mind.  It provides mankind with the ability to reason, think, and dream.  Yet it is more than the mind.  It can mix with the lowest forms of life and remain radiant and pure.  It has provided us with the 4 elements from which all created things come.  It set in place both the material and spiritual laws.  We understand and use but a small fraction of them.

Our ancestors taught that our bodies are vessels which contain this One.  If we are broken or even consumed upon a funeral fire, a small blue spark will remain that is permanent and cannot be destroyed.  From the small spark – All our form can be rejuvenated again.  Our bodies come from the dust and return to it again.  This small spark may be our soul, our portion and connection to the One.  It is indestructible and may be raised to life again.

Maybe one day we will learn to understand.

Flag RevDorris May 10, 2011 10:43 AM EDT

Journey with the Tao Te Ching Lao-Tzu

A few thoughts seem necessary before we continue on our journey with Tao Te Ching Lao-Tzu.

Comments have been made and questions asked as to why a minister would have such great interest in the Tao Te Ching.  Hopefully these few thoughts will help clarify the importance that the Tao Te Ching has in expanding our knowledge of the ancient wisdom and our understanding of the world, our place in the world, and in the universe as a whole.

Tao in Taoism is the basic eternal principle of the universe that transcends reality and is the source of being, non being, and change.

In Confucianism it means the right manner of human activity and virtuous conduct seen as stemming from universal criteria and ideals governing right, wrong, and other categories of existence.

The above definitions come from the American Heritage Dictionary.

The Collins English Dictionary gives the meaning  as: The virtue (the divine essence) by which all things happen or exist.  It is the rational basic of human conduct and the course of life and its relation to eternal truth.

The simple literal translation is path or way.

Te in Taoism is the power through which the Tao is made manifest or is actualized.

In Confucianism in means the virtuous moral strength embodied in wise people upon which they rely in times of distress.

Ching  is the relating to or designating of an authority of a dynasty.

There are many possible translations of the title of the book.

Tao literally means 'way' or on of its synonyms.  It is usually expanded to “The Way”.  Many different cultures and religious groups have used this term in their writings.  Even different Chinese  philosophers use it in many different aspects.  In Taoism it has a special meaning where it implies the essential process of the Universe.

Te means 'virtue' in the sense of 'personal character', 'inner strength', or 'integrity'. Its meaning here resembles the Old English meaning of 'Virtue' in the sense of 'Inner potency' or 'divine power' or 'divine essence' as compared to the modern meaning of 'moral excellence' or 'goodness'.

Jing/Ching as used means 'canon', great book', or 'classic'.

Lao-Tzu is a name that means “Old Master” or “Old Masters”.

Scholars have debated for ages on the historical existence of an actual man by this name.  The legends claim he lived 996 years or more.  Maybe these writings, that are usually translated in a poetic form, summarize the teachings of Sages of the Past whose knowledge transcended many levels of existence.  These Sages may have been known over a span of 996 years or more.

Potential translations of the Title would be:

The Essence of the Way according to the Old Masters

or

The Principles of life according to the Old Masters

or

The Divine Essence and Principles of Life

or

The Truths of the Way

or

The Way

or

The Great TAO

Basically what we are being given is the eternal principles of life in the universe, the force or power by which it works, the rational basis for human life and our relation to the Divine Essence as it was known to the Ancient Sages identified as “Old Masters” by the compiler of the text.

I would think every minister of any faith would find this information useful and good.  I would encourage any spiritual seeker to obtain a translation that they can relate to and use.  As the heart and mind open, greater truths from the depths of the TAO will be revealed.

Now let us continue our journey of learning and growth together in a harmonious way.

Flag RevDorris May 17, 2011 4:11 PM EDT

Commentary on Chapter 5 Tao Te Ching

Some have said that humans are like fleas on a speck of dust at the edge of the universe.  Others think the common man is worthless and can be used as expendable pawns in their quest for power and wealth.  Because of these many horrible things have been done by man to man.  Our foolishness seems to know no bounds.

If heaven and earth were not benevolent, we would cease to exist.  The Spirit (the heavens) sends us sages to point us to the Tao, the proper path.  The earth cries like a mother for her children and wants us to learn to live in accord with her laws and ways.  We like infants are often foolish and do not pay attention and suffer the consequences.

Many view the vast space between the visible heavens and the earth as an empty void.  This is a mistaken view.  Nothing in our universe is empty of spirit or life sustaining principles.  The better we understand this, the fuller and more complete our life will be.  Modern science has finally discovered  all the universe is alive.  Every space and atom contains what they call dark energy or matter.  Through this everything in the universe is connected and what happens in one area can be known or felt in all others.

With love and benevolence we can learn our place and role in the universe.  Many already know but keep silent so this knowledge is not abused.

Flag RevDorris May 25, 2011 11:02 AM EDT

Commentary on Chapter 6 Tao Te Ching

The Spirit of the Depths is immortal.  By some it is called heaven, by some it is called Father or Grandfather.  It is also called Mother and Earth.  It is also called the root of all, the prime element of all creation.  It is always in action, may be used, and can never be consumed or exhausted.

It is said that the physical heaven is everlasting and that the physical earth endures.  These two forms are not self-produced.  They are manifestations of the One prime element that we call the Spirit of the Depths.

The Sages have known this since the beginning.  They regard all physical things as secondary manifestations of the One spirit.  When they teach to disregard the physical and focus on the spirit this is the reason.  Once you understand and know its rules and laws all else can and will take care of itself.  Once you know, then a simple wish sets the Spirit in action.

People get locked in endless debate about the role and place of this Spirit.  Some say it is God, others that it is the active principle of the unknown creator of all.  This debate for us is a waste of effort and time.

In creation and in all other spiritual areas, all is part of this Spirit (call it energy if you wish).  Each thought or manifestation is this spirit at a different vibrational level.  So it has been truly said:  Energy and Matter are the same and can never be destroyed or consumed.

Flag RevDorris June 7, 2011 7:23 PM EDT

Commentary on Chapter 7 Tao Te Ching

Heaven and earth are the same substance.

You  have been given the ability to reason.  You can tap into what many call  the Universal Mind.  Many wonderful things can be done when you know  the rules and laws.  You can know all that is right or wrong.  You can  have every wish come true.  But, know that beyond the mind is the Spirit  of the Depths.   This is the Tao.

It is written that in  our current physical form we may travel to the realm of the moon but no  further.  Yet, within each of us is the ability to travel to the end of  our universe and beyond if that is our wish.  In the blink of an eye we  can go wherever we may wish but to do this we must use a different form.

Contemplate this if you wish.  You will come to learn these words are true.

Be self-less in action.  Be one with all.  You can attain whatever you desire.

Flag RevDorris June 22, 2011 1:38 PM EDT

Commentary on Chapter 8 Tao Te Ching

Water is a primary element but is also a symbol of much more.

Water is fluid, yielding  and strong.  It is beneficial and necessary for life in all things.  We call it good and like the Tao.  Wherever it dwells it sanctifies and cleans.  It brings with it an abundance of life.  It can be found in the lowest spots but is the holiest of elements.

Within our hearts and bodies it is the blood of life.  We cannot fully comprehend all its beneficial properties .  It brings us love and benevolence.  It cares for each of our forms.

It is like a good governor who takes care of the kingdom.  It is trustworthy in its actions and in the administrations of all our needs.  Daily it does its work without a thought on our part.  It does what is necessary to preserve our life and form.

It does not strive with anyone or anything. It causes and harbors no resentful feelings.  It uses its ability to accomplish its daily tasks in the best way possible.  Can we learn to follow the guidance and example set by water?

Flag RevDorris June 28, 2011 10:20 AM EDT

Commentary on Chapter 9 Tao Te Ching

Everyone has the inborn ability to grasp the Tao.  It is better to know nothing than to become filled with  pride thinking you are self sufficient and all knowing.  The more you learn the more you should realize that you do not know.

All the knowledge you gain is to be freely shared with those who seek the way.  Knowledge and wisdom are precious jewels that are not to be used for personal gain.  If you try to hoard them – they will be lost.  If you become arrogant and misuse them – calamity will be the reward.

Become like a servant to all you meet.  Assist and guide when requested.  Keep in the background by letting others think they have accomplished things on their own.  Let merit be placed where it will.  Fame will follow in the appropriate way and at the appropriate time.  This is the way of the sages who lover and serve all mankind.  The is the way of the sages of the Tao.

Flag RevDorris July 2, 2011 8:12 AM EDT

Commentary on Chapter 10

Through the birth process a living soul is joined with a body.  Each soul is individual and unique.  Each has a bond with the One that cannot be broken. Only our training and misconceptions give us a sense of separation.  The Spirit gives life to the body.  This is the life force of the body.  By becoming open and aware we can learn to properly use this vital force.  We are able to become aware again of our status as a child of the One.

Although others may not see or know, you are held responsible for each thought, word, and deed.  You suffer the consequences of each either as a punishment or as a reward.  To the One there are no secrets that you can hide.  Each situation you encounter is there for you to learn or as a test to match your actions with your words.

The word we use as “sin” means missing the mark or falling short of what you could have achieved.  With this in mind there is only one way not to sin or fall short.  That is to do each task to the best of your ability and to govern all your thoughts, words, and deeds with love.

The door way to heaven is always open.  We can freely choose to visit, stay, or leave.  Understand that between you and heaven there is no separation.

The ignorant think there is a vast separation.  They will say there is only one way to walk.  If one's understanding has reached in every direction, his or her knowledge will be profound.  Their words will be filled with wisdom.

Those who understand  will produce many wonders and deeds.  They will nourish the hearts and minds of all men and women.  They will not claim possession or control of what others say or think.  They will act with resolve but acknowledge their ability is a gift.  Though they may be looked upon as veterans or elders by their fellowman, they will claim no sovereignty over them.  They will walk and talk as a humble child.  This is the highest development of the Tao.

Flag RevDorris July 6, 2011 5:34 PM EDT

Commentary on Chapter 11

Many wonderful inventions have been created by and for man.  At times their use has been beneficial and at other times they have been misused.

The wheel with 30 spokes was created to teach the use of time.  Its usefulness as a physical object increased mans ability to travel and to carry heavy loads.  The spokes uniting in the center space also reflects the development of all the religions of man.  Each originated from a single source.  When they all learn to work together man's ability and growth will be increased.

Clay was formed into useful vessels to improve the quality of life for all.  Many forms have proved helpful in giving mankind a higher standard of life.  We need to be reminded that our bodies are also vessels of clay.  Their usefulness or advancement to higher forms depends upon our use of them and our cultivation of the spark of life that they contain.

We were shown how to form windows and doors in creating structures to protect us from the elements and other dangers.  These we developed to a high form.  We then built elaborate temples and churches to be houses of worship.  In doing so we viewed all who thought different from us as dangerous enemies.  We lost sight of the basic unity in the origin of all our religions.  We lost sight of the fact that the buildings themselves are not important.  To help and aid all the people by lifting their standard of life was to be their primary function.

Flag RevDorris July 13, 2011 8:01 PM EDT

Commentary on Chapter 12

It has been written that the things in the light belong to man.  The things in the darkness are beyond our ability to understand and belong to God.  We are often distracted by the wonders that our eyes see.  We think this is all there is and do not look beyond.  We do not look to the creator or seek to expand our ability to see.

All types of sounds fill our ears.  We have the sound of our machines, the sounds of the cities, music, and endless talk.  These make us deaf to the other sounds around us.  For this reason we have been instructed to listen in the silence between our breaths.  What we hear is truly amazing.  First we hear all the sounds of nature and the life around us.  Going deeper we hear the sounds and messages given off by the cells of our body.  Deeper still is the still small voice that brings us to all truth and is the voice of the One.

We taste many things that give us pleasure and become locked into set habits and likes.  We do not remain curious and try other things.  To change becomes very difficult for us even if we are exposed to something better.  Other people chase after everything and hunt for the magic that will give them a life of ease.  Usually their minds become confused for they look in all the wrong places.  Many obstacles are encountered to try to divert you back to the proper path.

The Sage looks not without but within.  He listens in the silence for God's word and the fullness of truth that it reveals.  The truths of external scriptures, sights, and sounds will be revealed within your heart.  The truths you find within will guide you to the proper path for you at your present level of understanding.

Flag RevDorris July 21, 2011 8:17 AM EDT

Commentary on Chapter 13

Fear is a great problem for all men and women.  Favor, disgrace, and special honors all cause fear in people.  In truth anything outside our normal routines can cause a state of fear.

Many situations can make us apprehensive.  It is good to be cautious when exposed to something new.  The problem arises when we start to allow fear to control our life.  Many rich people and people with power are afraid others with try to take what they have so they build gated communities and hire private security.  Poor people are afraid they will not be given enough to live on.  People use to receiving handouts are afraid to lose them by seeking honest work.  Examples of the things people fear can make an endless list.

We can face situations by being cautious.  That is good.  We can commit to do our best in the task at hand.  We can commit to being loving and share what we have as excess with others.  In this way we commit to loving, aiding, and guiding the whole of our community and our extended human family.

Fear will be rightly used and not be a controlling factor in how we live our life.  Love and service will take its place and we will move closer to living in harmony and peace.

Flag RevDorris July 30, 2011 8:11 PM EDT

Chapter 14

People will say show me the One  – but this cannot be done for it is  invisible.  People will say let me hear the voice of the One – but this is impossible for to the ear the voice is silent.  They may say let me hold the One – but this too cannot be done for it has not an individual form.

Words are inadequate to explain this to them.   But yes, they can still become aware and feel the presence of the One.  Then their eyes will see the One everywhere and in all forms.  They will hear the One in all words and sounds.  They will know they are held by this One.

The One is above and below.  It is around you in every direction.  It is within you too.  Still this One is beyond name.  It is beyond form but is in every form.  An image of it does not exist but it is the life of all.

This is the mystery of the Tao:

People will not believe and they will not see.  After saying “God is” then avenues to see and hear will be opened to you.  You will be able to arrive at the ancient knowledge and know the truth of the Way.  This will place you on the path of the Tao.  You will live and speak from personal knowledge as God's child.

Flag RevDorris August 9, 2011 11:06 PM EDT

Chapter 15

Our ancient ancestors were very wise.  Their knowledge was very subtle and mysterious.  They were well versed and penetrated the depths of knowledge that we are only rediscovering today.

Those who do not believe will be unable to learn.  This knowledge cannot be gained by force.  It cannot be acted upon or put into practice without belief.  Still many will seek and search in all the wrong places because they cannot discern what is before them waiting for them to awaken for they do not believe.

Be cautious of those who make many promises.  Many will try to take advantage of those seeking for the way.  Those who truly know keep silent till they know you are sincere in your efforts to learn.  Once it is clear that you admit that “God is” you will be welcome and treated like a guest.  Knowledge will be freely shared to guide you in the next step of your journey.  It does not matter if you are simple and unpolished or rich in learning and possessions.  The path will be revealed to all who truly believe.

The confusion of conflicting teaching will end.  You will find an inner peace.  You will know the meaning of life and how to set everything in motion.  You will know that there is an endless supply of knowledge available.  You will know in your heart how to discern what is true and what is not.  You will know that you are God's child and no one can take this away from you.

Flag RevDorris August 18, 2011 8:19 PM EDT

Chapter 16

Extreme emptiness is set as a goal.  Yet people do not know what this means.  It is a state of knowing that you are not separate from the One.  You know you are Spirit from the heavens.  You know your form is from the earth.  All things are produced by these two.  Each revolves and changes between form and spirit.  Like a flower we take root, grow, and bloom and return to the source again.  Our origin is in the heavens or spirit, the very source of the Tao.  Knowledge of this may be called enlightenment.  Ignorance of this can lead to our ruin.

You may come to know that you are like a single cell in a vast organism so that you are dependent upon the whole.  Then you know each cell has a purpose and place that is unique but always connected to the whole.  Because you are part of the whole you become just in your dealings with others.  You become tolerant of the mistakes you and others make.

When you have the ability to forgive both yourself and others, you are fit to be like a king of the empire called your body.  You can be a director of the Spirit that you have received for you are a child of heaven.  You know the Spirit is the Tao and you are its offspring.  Your portion, your soul, survives the death of the body.  It will live on unharmed forever.

Flag RevDorris September 29, 2011 9:21 AM EDT

Chapter 17

In the history of mankind few have been born with the purity to know the wisdom of the Tao at birth.  These few have been the renown Sages of all the religions that have existed upon the earth.  Through their intuition they knew the true scriptures written within the heart.  These few spoke only with forethought as guided by the Spirit.  They honored their words by living in accord with what they spoke.

Next in stature were the men and women who had the virtue to live a life of righteousness.  Through training and study they endeavored to attain the perfection of their knowledge and wisdom.  As they approached the purity, they eulogized it and freely shared all they learned.  They served as way showers and guides to all the awakening children of the Tao.  They achieved many great things.  They seemed to be unimpeded in their tasks.

Most men and women come next in rank.  They are above those who where considered beasts.  For them worship and religion are of extreme importance.  They stand in awe of the teachings of knowledge and wisdom.  They worship a God although they may not fully understand all the workings of the laws of the Spirit and the Earth.

Still there are many who have a superficial belief.  They say they believe but make very little effort to improve or to live in accord with the known rules and laws.  Close behind are those who do not believe at all.  They say there is no God and the world happened by chance.  They think this is our natural and spontaneous condition.

Flag RevDorris November 9, 2011 9:52 AM EST

Chapter 18

The Great Tao fell into disuse when mankind forgot the source of all life and being. When the harmony was lost each culture had to develop their own teachings of love, benevolence and righteous living. Individuals were no longer taught how to find the truth within. External rules and laws were raised as supreme.

Men and women of wisdom and kindness came forth in every area of the world to try to guide the people back to the way. These men and women were then counterfeited by the base. Control and power replaced wisdom and kindness in the religions of the day. A great hypocrisy spread throughout the world. The family of humanity was split into many factions. Discord arose within the families. The virtues of love and compassion disappeared. The families lost their order and harmony as piety disappeared.

Nations and States were thrown into anarchy. People lost faith in the leaders as they no longer worked for the good of all their people. The harmonious order of life descended into chaos.

Faithful ministers and Sages come in each generation to try to lead and guide the people back to the Great Tao. Slowly mankind is awakening to know that life is not as it should be. They seek a return to the ways of love, harmony, and peace.

Flag RevDorris February 7, 2012 1:02 PM EST

Chapter 38

The Great Tao -- A Commentary

Those who possess the highest attributes of the Tao do not claim to have them. They seek not to show or display their power. Maybe this is why the Divine Essence grows within them.

Those new to the way and some with lesser attributes will make a great display of their limited powers. There are many non virtuous people who will try to use these powers for personal gain. In them the powers will never develop to their fullest measure.

The Divine Essence with no apparent activity makes itself felt. Those filled with this essence carry out many tasks without appearing to do anything. Often a wish, a thought, or the mire nod of the head is all that is needed to set the Divine Essence in motion.

Those who think they have the highest degree of benevolence and love will always try to show it. It is something they feel they must do. Likewise those who think they are filled with righteousness are always seeking to demonstrate their righteousness. Others may think their morality is beyond reproach and will fight with anyone who sees things different from them. When the Tao is lost all these attributes will appear. People will try to force others to live and see things in the same way. Soon all that is left is the ceremonial observances that have no meaning.

People will not know how far from the Tao they have gone. They will think of themselves as being upright and sincere and they will not understand why there is chaos and disorder.

People will forget the Tao and turn away from their highest conception of a supreme being or God. They will put their faith in lesser beings or material things and organizations. Individuals will be elevated to the status of gods who have no true power. This is the height of folly that will come upon humanity. No longer will the people look within to find and connect with what is true and firm.

Sages will reappear to again point the people to the Tao. These great men and women will abide by what is solid and turn away from the flimsy. They will look to the fruit produced and not the beauty of the flowers. What is truth will be prime and not the traditions established by man. They will lead the people by pointing the way, yet will allow all the people to freely choose their own path. The choices made by humanity will determine its future.

Flag RevDorris February 22, 2012 1:06 PM EST

Chapter 53

The Great Tao - A Commentary

When inner sight is gained you begin to possess all-embracing knowledge. You begin to live and act in accord with the great Tao. People will see and imitate what you do but the great Tao is unknown to them. They will become side tracked unless you teach them what you know.

Humanity exists at a cross-road. People are looking for guidance and aid. Many truly want to know the truth of the Tao. When you follow this path, the way is level and easy. People will love you when you teach them what you know.

We have great institutions, churches, temples, and mosques that are splendid to the sight. Their teaching however are far from the truth for they are full of weeds. The people who follow them are unable to bear good fruit. Many have great possessions, indulge themselves with food and drink but they give no thought to what is good for the family of humanity.

The strong take from the weak. The rich enslave the poor. We maintain control with weapons of war. We use force to convert other to our views. This is not the way of the Tao.

Flag RevDorris February 26, 2012 12:53 AM EST

Chapter 56  The Great Tao - A Commentary

Those who know the Tao do not speak their own thoughts and words.  There are many who speak without authority in hopes of personal gain.  Much confusion results in the hearts and mind of those who come to learn.

A true Sage and teacher will guide but not demand obedience or conformity.  They will open the doors to the heart and mind with simple words that all can understand.  They will instruct like a parent does their child.  This Sage is in harmony with the Tao.

Others may teach but do not understand the union of the Spirit and the Earth.  People looking for honor may cause more harm than good.  They may take advantage of the people who come to them for help.

A true Sage will not degrade anyone or take advantage of those in need.  He or she will not look for honors but will look on all humanity as family.  They will know that all are truly children of the Tao.  This is the high state of humanity.

Flag RevDorris April 10, 2012 9:18 AM EDT

Chapter 19  A Commentary

In our world people chase after great wealth. Their hearts are set on attaining material things. The teachings of the sages are rejected. The services of the wise are discarded. Control, greed, and power seem to rule the day.

The governments forget their primary role is to serve and protect the people. This is the mandate of heaven; to care for all the people in a benevolent and just way. In forgetting this mandate greed and corruption enter the hearts and minds of those whose task is to govern. Disorder and chaos follow. This seems to set up an endless cycle, but this cycle can be broken.

The people rebel and know in their hearts this is not the proper way. When the governments fail in their duties the people can seek out the sages and the wise to guide them. They can seek a return to the natural qualities of piety and compassion and a return to the way of universal love.

Wastefulness and hoarding will be renounced. Excess wealth will be freely shared with the needy, the orphans, and the widows. The people will look upon all others as family and treat them in a loving, fair, and just way. This will lead to greater harmony and peace.

Each man and woman will know they have value. They will do their part to the best of their ability. Government and life will be good guided by knowledge and wisdom.

Flag RevDorris May 28, 2012 4:28 PM EDT

I would like to thank those of you who have read this thread.  It was a honor to be able to write and share my commentary on the Great Tao.

Flag RevDorris June 15, 2012 1:38 AM EDT

Chapter 20

The Great Tao -- A Commmentary

There are many things we can do to improve our lot and our world.  We can learn to look on the reality of things.  We can learn to seek, find, and preserve the simple truths.  We can put an end to the cycle of greed and control.  We can learn to be less selfish and share with others the abundance we have.  We can research and learn which doctrines will work and learn from our past what does not.  In this way we can avoid much suffering and sorrow.

There is a small distance between positive affirmative action and sitting back doing nothing.  Yet, there is a wide gap between virtue and immorality.  Many people let fear control their life.  The rulers and controllers take full advantage of this.  With just a little knowledge and affirmative action this fear can be overcome.  We cannot let fear mongers take control.  If we neglect our duty, this will happen.  We will live in the night of ignorance and fear.

This world is full of wonder.  Life can be joyful and good.  We can make each day sacred to us.  We can do each task to the best of our ability.  Our work will bear its fruit at the appropriate time.  We do not need to worry about the future if we do what is proper today.  Take time to contemplate these things.  Find the quietness that allows you to listen to your heart.

You will grow from an infant into a child.  Every child has a home with the One.  There is no need to search for truths in every corner of the world.  Wherever you are the One is there with you.  You will find a peace within that is more precious than the greatest material wealth.

If you relinquish everything – more will be provided in abundance to meet your needs.  There is a profound secret here.

Many say I have the heart of a fool because I love and freely share my knowledge and wisdom.  To them I may seem dim and confused for fortunes are made by the vulgar charlatans.  Yes, to them I am a clown.  Are they truly enlightened?

I can sit alone with the deep darkness.  I can float upon the sea of life.  Like the water in a flowing river, I know my destination.  I know my energy and Spirit will be replenished each day.  I honor my Father and my Mother.  I am a child of the One. This is more valuable to me than the greatest material wealth.

Know that you too are a child and can complete the journey of life with all your brothers and sisters.  You can achieve a state of harmony and peace that is full of wonder.

Flag RevDorris July 17, 2012 1:23 PM EDT

What is Tao?

Tao is more than religion, more than philosophy.  It is life itself in all its forms.  It is the Spirit from which all originates.  It is you and me and all created and nonexistent beings and things.  It is the One encompassing the all. Our words can only point to this Tao or Way.  The individual must come to their own conclusion and walk the path that is before them.

Flag RevDorris March 8, 2013 2:27 PM EST

We learn

It is never too late

We learn each day and night

Make the connection

The light will come

Night and day – dark and light

Each term has a multitude of meanings

Listen as the rooster crows at mid-night

Listen when it greets the rising sun

Know there is more – strive to learn

The veils between the worlds grow thin

Reach for the stars – shine like the sun

Nothing will be withheld – be open

Words of power radiate light

Simple words carry the fire

The darkness is replaced by light

It is never too late

In time we learn the balance

We know everything has its place

We speak not of right and wrong

The river of life is loving and true.

Flag TransJ April 6, 2013 5:27 PM EDT

Jul 17, 2012 -- 1:23PM, RevDorris wrote:

What is Tao?

Tao is more than religion, more than philosophy.  It is life itself in all its forms.  It is the Spirit from which all originates.  It is you and me and all created and nonexistent beings and things.  It is the One encompassing the all. Our words can only point to this Tao or Way.  The individual must come to their own conclusion and walk the path that is before them.

This sounds pantheistic or Panentheistic to me, I do not mind the monism of your point of view, but you are saying that the Tao is conscience through conscience beings in it as part of it. Do you think Taoism is pantheistic or Panentheistic?

Flag RevDorris April 7, 2013 1:32 PM EDT

Tao is about Tao.  It is about oneness, unity, harmony, balance, and peace.  It addresses the positive and the negative as two sides of the same coin.  It points to the wholeness of life in all its forms.  It can be pantheism or panentheism   It includes all these and much more, for the words we use are limiting and tend to divide us into small boxes.  Modern terms are inadequate.  What we read, write, and say can only point us to the Way.  Each individual must walk their path, each in their own way.

I use the term Unitarianism for it includes all as a part of the One.

Flag TransJ April 9, 2013 6:38 PM EDT

Apr 7, 2013 -- 1:32PM, RevDorris wrote:

Tao is about Tao.  It is about oneness, unity, harmony, balance, and peace.  It addresses the positive and the negative as two sides of the same coin.  It points to the wholeness of life in all its forms.  It can be pantheism or panentheism   It includes all these and much more, for the words we use are limiting and tend to divide us into small boxes.  Modern terms are inadequate.  What we read, write, and say can only point us to the Way.  Each individual must walk their path, each in their own way.

I use the term Unitarianism for it includes all as a part of the One.

So, Taoist can’t say precisely what the Tao is, just that it is and is the source of all. How would you know that you are pointing at the right thing? Well, anyway to me it is a form of transtheism and in that sense I can accept it as part of the tradition that I follow.

Unitarianism is appealing in its openness.     

Flag RevDorris April 26, 2013 11:49 AM EDT

We each walk an individual Path within a greater Way.. But, we all share in the journey called Life.

Flag RevDorris May 25, 2013 8:57 AM EDT

People and government administrations seem to always focus on the extremes. Happiness or calamity is a choice. Justice or depravity is a choice. Good or evil is a choice. Knowledge or delusion is a choice. Few are taught to balance all the extremes. This can be done upon the path of love. Some will call this the path of righteousness or the noble path.

Flag RevDorris October 30, 2013 2:09 AM EDT

The teachings of Tao are simple.  Many will think there is much more.  They will not be satisfied with the words of even the greatest Sage...... Properly used the Tao is inexhaustible.  Words fall short in the attempt to explain its fullness or affect.  But live in accord with it as you understand it.  Then, you will find harmony, tranquility, and peace. (From:  Chapter 35, The Great Tao -- A Commentary)

Flag RevDorris November 10, 2013 2:20 PM EST

The essence of the Tao is everywhere to be found. Tao is the originator of all things.

Into each corner of this world the great sages went and shared their knowledge and wisdom. That knowledge was shared in ways that those living in each area could relate to, understand, and use. 

The Tao is One. It's truth can be found everywhere. We can only teach and learn from the truths that we have been taught. As we learn of our heritage we begin to know that all humanity is part of a great family. 

The violent and overbearing who live in ignorance will refuse to see this or learn. They will not experience the fullness of the Tao, nor will they attain the peace and harmony they seek.

Flag RevDorris November 23, 2013 1:59 AM EST

The key for personal growth is to walk your own path and to put all the teachings into your own words. They becomes internalized and your true nature begins to shine.  Your faith and belief becomes a way of living as you take one step at a time.

Flag Freestyle April 14, 2014 11:41 AM EDT

Before we begin, I must remind you that I have extrasensory perception (ESP) and have used my retrocognitive abilities to find out about Taoism -- my religion.  Thank you. ~Mew Xacata

Taoism was accidently founded in A.D. 1013 Ireland by a 13-year-old girl genius named Serena Mew, into whom was nicknamed "Mulan" by her frineds because of her hobby being writing Chinese calligraphy.  They were under the wing of the Archbishop at that time. It teaches hard work and thrift.  It is mystical, cultic, esoteric and views health and healing as means to longetivity or even immortality.  Of course, there is a belief in Heaven.  The name "Taoism" was because Mulan and her friends were called the "Shang Tao" due to their devotion to the Chinese and Latin Tao Te Ching, such being accredited to the philosophy of Lao-tzu.  Taoism is based upon the Shang Tao.  Taoists are practitioners of this religion.

On a linguistic note, "Tao Te Ching" is a Celticism of the Chinese "tai tan chi," into which in this case means "way of change."  Of course, there is no "to be" in Chinese.

The Zelda is a fictitious book trilogy of the average Taoist that resembles "The Secret Life of Arthur Mitty."  It is yet to be published and may become pretty popular.

The Zelda is divided into three parts:

• Hebrew Scriptures: Detaling the Judeo-Christian legacy of Taoism.
  • Celtic Scriptures: Detailing the Celtic heritage of Taoism.
  • Daoist Scripturies: Detailing the Chinese philosophy that led to Taoism.

The following is the Taoist calendar:

• Helsing -- November
  • Yuletide -- December
  • Oidnus -- January
  • Imbolc -- February
  • Danu -- March
  • April -- April
  • Beltane -- May
  • Ennea -- June
  • Falco -- July
  • Lammas -- August
  • Mabon -- September
  • Samhein -- October

The following are the Taoist holidays:

• Candlemas: The Day of Creation into which no meat is eaten.
  • Maybeleen: The Day of Mulan's birth with banquet dinners.
  • Lughnomas: The Day of Harvest with potluck dinners.
  • Halloween: The Day of Mulan's Ascention with dinner parties.

The first day of the Taoist calendar is April 1.  It is called "April Fool's Day" because January 1 is the beginning of the Gregorian calendar. Most non-Taoists play jokes on that day.

Yule is the 21-day fasting period from December 1 to December 22.  It is to commemborate Mulan's illness with typhoid fever and her miraculous recovery, mainly known as the New Age Rising, which in turn ended the Dark Ages (A.D. 490 - A.D. 1020).  At that time, she wrote the entirity of the Tao Te Ching in Gaelic, thus resulting in the supreme miracle of the New Age Rising into which many Europeans became literate and became a forerunner of the Renaissance.  The last day of Yule is celebrated with a feast to commemorate her immortality.  When she turne 103, she ascended into Heaven and left a legacy of love and literature.  Not only that, but she saved all of civilization and saved us from the Dark Ages.

The early Taoists wore the Triquetta as the symbol of the faith until the 14th century, where they obtained the yin-yang by purchasing a portrait from a Chinese artist.  Gaia is believed to be the embodiment of the Tao.  The nemesis of the faith is Maitreya, into whom used to be the Angel of Death, hence her nickname "Death" along with "the Raven," "the Grim Reaper," "the Beast" and "the War Machine."  She is worse than Satan, for she would enslave someone.  The umbrella term "New Age" is used to define early Taoism, Taoist music and the New Age Rising.

Of course, Taoism has plenty of taboos.  For one, sex is forbidden because it is sacred and thus the energy used for sex is also our connection with God.  If we have sex, we temporarily lose touch with Gaia.  Alcoholic beverages such as wine and beer are forbidden because they are potent.  Lamb is forbidden because it is sacred.  Such is based on the Passover story into which the Angel of Death (now Maitreya) did not touch the houses painted with lamb blood above the door.  Worldly pleasures such as gambling, tobacco, pornography and so on are condemned because they are a waste of money, time and health.  Pregnanacy is forbidden because the womb is sacred.  Breastfeeding is permitted since such can be based on hormone medicinial drugs.  I know this sounds wierd, but this is what Taoists believe.

Taoist worship is done at a pendragon, into which the Taoist would sit on a pillow cross-legged and listen to New Age music while remaining quiet.  The leader of the pendragaon is called a bard -- after the nomadic musicians -- into whom presides over the congregation so as to wake them from their meditations and lead them in prayer.  The bard also announces certain events of the pendragon along with the Holy Seasonals -- Taoist holdays found in the middle of a season.  For example, Samhain means, "summer's end" and is found in the middle of autumn.  In this sense, Taoist worship is silent worship.

Taoist music is called "New Age," such being from the Gaelic nu aois, which in turn is literally "new age" but together meaning "eternity."  This is due to the musical composas that in turn help us relax into which gives us a feeling of timelessness.  Before the 1980's, New Age music was generic with only the title of the album recorded by an anonymous artist.

Taoism is now the largest religion in the world since 2002 with 1.8 billion souls.  Buddhism has 1.2 billion.  Christianity has 1 billion.  Islam has 960 million.  Hinduism has 800 million.  Jainism has 32 million.  Sikhism has 23 million.  Judaism has 15 million.  Baha'i has 12 million.  Shinto hsa 9 million.  The rest of the world's population are found under indigneous and alternative religions.

*I have submitted this post in the "Paranormal and Supernatural" forum due to my extrasensory abilities.  Of course, I can understand Chinese philosophy.

To become a Taoist, one must have savant intelligence, into which is now an I.Q. over 150.  Back in the days of yore, savant intelligence was measured by talent.

By the way, the reason why the "T" is pronounced like a "D" is because the letter is pronounced with a soft "t," into which sounds like a "d."  "Ch" is pronounced with a soft "ch" into which sounds like a "j."  Such can be proven; for example, "You're the man" can be pronounced, "You're da man."

The purpose of the Taoist faith is to challenge the minds of the savant and thus living an honest and decent life.  It is not fair for a savant to be a "Mr. Know-It-All" since such things require training.  Savants are called "whitesnakes" because they tend to be very annoying and sometimes drive others insane.  The Taoist faith acts as a canopy for such souls so as to focus on the spiritual aspects of life and realize that ther is a Higher Power.

By the way, Taoism is easy to practice as in the metaphor of the faithe being "a finger pointing at the moon."

I know it sounds wierd, but I am not lying (or even intending to lie).  You be the judge.

Flag Freestyle April 17, 2014 11:16 AM EDT

Most of what is written in the Laozi (Tao Te Ching) is symbolic.  In order to become a Taoist, one must give himself to the Tao and act without contention.  The saying "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step" is symbolic of initiative.  Reverend, you must face reality: you are not a Taoist and the Stephen Mitchel translation of the Laozi is not true.  Dr. Wayne Dyer did a good job at translating the Laozi but wrote essays about each chapter in very irrational ways.  Lao-tzu may not have existed and the aspects of the Tao Te Ching is definitely over 2,500 years old, but Morgan LaFey translated these ancient words into Gaelic and fully recovered on the 21st day of her prognosis when stricken with typhoid fever.  She dispelled the Dark Ages, defeated Maitreya and the Dark Lords and saved all of civilization -- especially since she was a Celtic Christian.

Remember that the next time you think of the Tao Te Ching (Laozi).

Flag Jupiter6208 April 17, 2014 3:49 PM EDT

Morgan Lafey is a fictional character. 

Flag Freestyle April 18, 2014 11:34 AM EDT

Apr 17, 2014 -- 3:49PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

I was just fooling around with the name "Morgan LaFey" as the founder of modern Taoism.  Her real name is Serena Mew although she was nicknamed "Mulan" for her ability to speak and write Chinese.  I nicknamed her "Morgan LaFey" because she had the charm of a sorceress.  She was 13 years of age when she founded Taoism.

I apologize for my misunderstanding and I hope your post is not flagged.

Flag Freestyle April 18, 2014 11:45 AM EDT

I was just fooling around with the name "Morgan LaFey" as the founder of modern Taoism.  Her real name is Serena Mew although she was nicknamed "Mulan" for her ability to speak and write Chinese.  I nicknamed her "Morgan LaFey" because she had the charm of a sorceress.  She was 13 years of age when she founded Taoism.

"Good men do not argue; men who argue are not good." Laozi (Tao Te Ching)

Flag Jupiter6208 April 18, 2014 4:10 PM EDT

Apr 18, 2014 -- 11:45AM, Freestyle wrote:

"Good men do not argue; men who argue are not good." Laozi (Tao Te Ching)

Pokeman!

Flag RevDorris April 18, 2014 10:02 PM EDT

If the Tao is One and all are part of the One, who is not part of the Tao and not worthy to be called a Taoist?

Flag Freestyle April 22, 2014 11:41 AM EDT

Apr 18, 2014 -- 10:02PM, RevDorris wrote:

If the Tao is One and all are part of the One, who is not part of the Tao and not worthy to be called a Taoist?

In order to be a Taoist, one has to give himself to his cause and the Tao.  You have to brush off your obsession with the Tao Te Ching (Laozi) and realize that not everyone is Taoist.  It may have 1.8 billion followers worldwide, but not the rest of the world.  Put it this way, even if the Tao is One and all are part One, we may not recognize it, so when you become a Taoist, you would see the Tao within and in all things.  Besides, the Tao is embodied in Gaia and we are Her creations due to the Tao made manifest.

Namaste.

Mew Xacata

Flag RevDorris April 27, 2014 1:29 PM EDT

Just an opinion>  Each person has their own form and way to meditate.  When you find what works for you -- that becomes your technique.  Call it what you will -- but it is your Way or Tao.  There is no one way that fits or works for all.  If it works for you -- use it -- do not let others tell you that it is right or wrong.  It works or it doesn't -- that is the only test. This decision, whether it works or not, must be made by you.  

Flag Freestyle April 28, 2014 11:19 AM EDT

Apr 27, 2014 -- 1:29PM, RevDorris wrote:

Just an opinion>  Each person has their own form and way to meditate.  When you find what works for you -- that becomes your technique.  Call it what you will -- but it is your Way or Tao.  There is no one way that fits or works for all.  If it works for you -- use it -- do not let others tell you that it is right or wrong.  It works or it doesn't -- that is the only test. This decision, whether it works or not, must be made by you.  

Now that's more like it!

Flag RevDorris July 10, 2014 2:01 AM EDT

There was something formless yet complete,
That existed before heaven and earth,
Without sound, without substance, 
Dependent on nothing, unchanging, 
All-pervading, unfailing,

One may think of it as the mother of all things under heaven,
It's true name we do not know;
Tao is the by-name we give It.

Tao Te Ching, 25. A. Waley's E.T. , The Way and it's Power (1934)

Flag RevDorris October 25, 2014 2:44 AM EDT

If you love what you are doing -- you will never consider it work.
The spark within will grow -- when you know yourself.
You will change -- by being true.
You are Tao -- and Tao is you.

Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook