Switch to Forum Live View TN County Says "Yes" To Decalogue Display But "No" To Separation Display
3 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2011 - 11:54AM #1
TPaine
The Johnson County, TN Commission opened the county courthouse to displays from the public as long as such displays relate to the development of the history or heritage of the law. Under this policy the commission approved a display consisting of the Ten Commandments and Christian and governmental documents the commissioners considered historical.

However, when Ralph Stewart, a citizen who has lived in Johnson County since 1998 applied to put up a display that supported the concept of separation of church and state in American the commissioners refused to allow it. Evidently, the Johnson County Commissioners believe that they have the right to favor one religion over the others. Johnson County Planning Commissioner Mike Tavalario said after the   commission voted to deny Stewart’s request to display his posters.

“This is a good Christian community that welcomes people who move here, but  if you want to attack God, you should leave.”

Americans United has petitioned the US District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee to find the county's action unconstitutional and order the commission to either allow Mr. Stewart's display to be added or remove the Ten Commandments display. Link

"When it shall be said in any country in the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes are not oppressive; the rational world is my friend, because I am a friend of its happiness: When these things can be said, then may the country boast its constitution and its government." -- Thomas Paine: The Rights Of Man (1791)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2011 - 9:05AM #2
MysticWanderer

Scopes Monkey Trial, now this ... Tennessee just does not like anything past the 19th century!

"Not all who wander are lost" J.R.R.Tolkein
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. ~Anne Lamott
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain."
Friedrich von Schiller
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook