Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Sunday Alcohol Sales
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2011 - 12:41PM #11
Esdraelon

Mar 5, 2011 -- 12:19PM, allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:

What I don't get though, is the desire to legislate the behavior of someone else to coincide with the behaviors that you are personally against.  Let other people do what they want, as long as it doesn't cause injury to others. 

all

What I don't get is did you even read the OP? I am certain many people would and have attempted the above, but I simply stated that while I may support it, it does not make sense to me.

You might try a response at some point that actually furthers the OP, pro of con, rather than ad hominem.

And lastly, are you truly suggesting that drunk driving does not cause injury to others? Maybe getting them off the road for one day would be a 'blessing'.......but as I have already noted banning alcohol sales on Sunday, but selling it out of 'selective' joints, won't save anyone from a drunk....

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2011 - 12:46PM #12
Esdraelon

Mar 5, 2011 -- 10:24AM, Cryano wrote:

I live in a moist county surrounded by dry ones. If you want to buy packaged liquor you must drive 40 miles.

But at several restaurants here you can buy 2 mixed drinks if you also order a meal. When the issue of wet/dry was last up for a vote the opposition came from 3 sources. The preachers the bootleggers and the liquor store owners in wet counties. The preachers DID however support the moist option. Their reasoning?

People who buy drinks in a expensive restaurants are mostly tourists. They don't live here. We need not be concerned with them. Supporting the Christian morals of our friends and nabors is our mission.

Christians - you gotta luv'em.

It's a lot like the sale of fireworks.....in Augusta where I grew up we ran over to South Carolina and picked up some super m-80's....or over to Alabama on that side of the state. Prohibition was already shown to be a failure.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2011 - 12:57PM #13
F1fan

Mar 5, 2011 -- 12:41PM, Esdraelon wrote:

What I don't get is did you even read the OP? I am certain many people would and have attempted the above, but I simply stated that while I may support it, it does not make sense to me.

If it doesn't make sense to you why are you supporting it?

And lastly, are you truly suggesting that drunk driving does not cause injury to others? Maybe getting them off the road for one day would be a 'blessing'.......but as I have already noted banning alcohol sales on Sunday, but selling it out of 'selective' joints, won't save anyone from a drunk....

As a cyclist who has lost many friends due to drunk drivers I would seem to have an ulterior motive to ban alcohol sales in one form or another.  However I realize that bans seldom work to solve problems of abuse.  And I am probably somewhat of a libertarian who advocates for freedoms and personal responsibility.  A woman who ran down two bike racers in Tulsa a year and a half ago had prior DUIs, but her rich father had gotten her off every time.  She was recently sentenced to 24 years for those deaths.  A state or county can ban alcohol, but it won't end stupidity and abuse.  I'd accept a tax (I know, a dirty word) on alcohol that would go towards programs that helped alcohol abusers and DUI offenders get treatment before they kill anyone else.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2011 - 12:58PM #14
allthegoodnamesweretaken

What I don't get is did you even read the OP?

I did. 

I am certain many people would and have attempted the above, but I simply stated that while I may support it, it does not make sense to me.

And I was agreeing with you.  Is it that hard to think that I might actually agree with you on some point? 

You might try a response at some point that actually furthers the OP, pro of con, rather than ad hominem.

You might want to assume that not every post is an ad hom. 

And lastly, are you truly suggesting that drunk driving does not cause injury to others?

WTF?

all

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2011 - 1:04PM #15
Esdraelon

Mar 5, 2011 -- 12:58PM, allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:

What I don't get is did you even read the OP?

I did. 

I am certain many people would and have attempted the above, but I simply stated that while I may support it, it does not make sense to me.

And I was agreeing with you.  Is it that hard to think that I might actually agree with you on some point? 

You might want to assume that not every post is an ad hom. 

And lastly, are you truly suggesting that drunk driving does not cause injury to others?

WTF?

all

Then, my apologies. When all one gets are negatives from someone, its a shock to get anything positive..:-)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2011 - 1:06PM #16
Esdraelon

Mar 5, 2011 -- 12:57PM, F1fan wrote:

As a cyclist who has lost many friends due to drunk drivers I would seem to have an ulterior motive to ban alcohol sales in one form or another.  However I realize that bans seldom work to solve problems of abuse.  And I am probably somewhat of a libertarian who advocates for freedoms and personal responsibility.  A woman who ran down two bike racers in Tulsa a year and a half ago had prior DUIs, but her rich father had gotten her off every time.  She was recently sentenced to 24 years for those deaths.  A state or county can ban alcohol, but it won't end stupidity and abuse.  I'd accept a tax (I know, a dirty word) on alcohol that would go towards programs that helped alcohol abusers and DUI offenders get treatment before they kill anyone else.

You a roadie?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2011 - 1:09PM #17
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Mar 5, 2011 -- 1:04PM, Esdraelon wrote:

Then, my apologies. When all one gets are negatives from someone, its a shock to get anything positive..:-)

No harm, no foul. 

all

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2011 - 1:17PM #18
Esdraelon

Mar 5, 2011 -- 1:09PM, allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:

Mar 5, 2011 -- 1:04PM, Esdraelon wrote:

No harm, no foul. 

all

Thank you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2011 - 1:33PM #19
F1fan

Mar 5, 2011 -- 1:06PM, Esdraelon wrote:

Mar 5, 2011 -- 12:57PM, F1fan wrote:

You a roadie?

Yup, been a licensed racer since 1982, and still doing pretty good.  There's a couple of pix on my profile.  Was planning to race today and tomorrow, but have been dealing with a stomach thing for a week.  Maybe next week.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2011 - 11:32AM #20
dblad

Mar 4, 2011 -- 8:52PM, REteach wrote:

My daughter lives in Kentucky, where there are several distilleries--but if we go touring on a weekend, we can't buy a bottle.  Really stupid.

What really gets me though is how irate peopel would be if Muslims were the ones banning alcohol sales based on their religious beliefs. 

Muslims ban everything during Ramadan! Even SEX. And it is based on their religious beliefs. They just can't enforce their beliefs on others... at least in the U.S. of A.

Most Blue Laws have been ruled unconstitutional in the U.S. and Canada except for the sale of alcohol in a few states which are now rethinking that ban, not because of any religious belief, but because they need the TAX MONEY that Sunday sales of alcohol would bring.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook