Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Pause Switch to Standard View What is Taoism, about Taoism
Show More
Flag Mak Tin Si March 1, 2011 3:56 PM EST

Many have mistaken and mixed up the real Taoism and Tao's school of phillosophy. This is totally different. Taoism is a religion WITH phillosophy, wisdom, knowledge, skills and even lots of other things.  If you just look at Taoism as a phillosophy, you are missing out a whole lof ot things. That is common though, in the western culture, that people think Taoism is just a book of Tao Te Ching.  If you are one of them, we welcome you to read this page here.

makchingyuen.wordpress.com/2011/03/01/wh...

Having doubts or confused?  You are still on the Tao Te Ching page?  No problem. Here, let me show you how off these western scholars are with the Tao Te Ching book.  The book is called "Tao Te Ching" and Tao-Te 道德 in Chinese means "virtues", Ching 經 in Chinese means a scripture or a book.  In conlusion, it is called "A book of Virtues". Not a book of Taoism!  It's all about virtues only and not even about Taoism or nature. If you are on some English translated version of the Tao Te Ching, you got it all wrong and confused.  Read this page and know the real Tao Te Ching, know what it is about. It's a good book though, just not a Taoism masterbook. It's not even a book of Tao. It's just a book of virtues. Read here:

www.chiinnature.com/taoteching.html

Many sects and lineages have gone off-shoot because of the politics in china and they were mixed with "Buddhism" in the past which got them all wrong and crooked. Quan Zhen Sect is one of them because they promote Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism into one. This is totally wrong and so their way of translating the Tao Te Ching is of course totally not right. You can see that they are mixing lots of Buddhism information into the translation as well. This is so misleading and that is why it's important to know "TAOISM IS TAOISM".  Taoism is good and good enough by itself, there is no need to mix or blend with any other things. It is it's own unique system of knowledge.  Read here if you want to know about why Taoism is not other things...

www.chiinnature.com/taoism_is_taoism.htm...

★FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER★

Flag XingYi March 2, 2011 8:30 PM EST

Mak Tin Si,

I suspect that you would get more of a dialogue going if you were to post the information instead of posting a link to it.  Most people are reluctant to follow a link in fear of where it might take them.

Sincerely,

XingYi

Flag Karma_yeshe_dorje July 19, 2013 1:17 PM EDT

Guys:

I'm here because I just scored top for Taoism in the Belief-O-Matic.

Flag koala972 July 28, 2013 8:10 PM EDT

Jul 19, 2013 -- 1:17PM, Karma_yeshe_dorje wrote:

Guys:

I'm here because I just scored top for Taoism in the Belief-O-Matic.

Mak Tin Si is right there is a lot more to Taoism than philosophy, but personally I find the stuff he is into somewhat incredulous.  Not that I think you can't learn some stuff that for example the christians might label 'miraculous' - more that I just get the feeling from somewhere that the originators of taoism did not have 'religion' in mind when they started it.  I suspect that was added later...

Isn't it sad the way so many groups on bnet are dead now?

Flag Freestyle March 25, 2014 11:38 AM EDT

Yes, Taoism is a religion with philosophy and the Tao Te Ching is a book of virtue that is not Taoist in any manner whatsoever, but the religion was founded in Ireland by the real Morgan LaFey, into whom possessed a handwritten copy of the Tao Te Ching in exchange for a Bible written in Chinese.  Her usage of Chinese calligraphy earned her the nickname "Mulan."  Her peers were so devoted to the Tao Te Ching that they were called "the Shang Tao," the basis for Western Taoism.  She rewrote the work into the scripture of the faith into which she called "the Holy Laozi," named after the alleged author Lao-tzu, who was famous for his quote, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."  It means to take the initiative, but I disgress.  Anyhow, the Tao Te Ching became the basis of the Laozi and all of Taoism, even though it was crude in writing.  Mulan simply refined the Tao Te Ching and thus resulted in the Laozi.  Because it was compatable with the Torah, Bible and Koran, Taoism is recognized as an Abrahamic religion.

By the way, if Taoism is a Chinese religion, then it would have a Chinese character as its symbol.  Ironically, there are 600 million Taoists in China, into which consists of half the Chinese population, meaning that one-third of all Taoists are Chinese.  The Taoist head count is 1.8 billion.

Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook