Switch to Forum Live View How will you be observing Lent this year?
3 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2011 - 7:18PM #1
JuniaDoC
Greetings!

This morning I had the stunned realization that Ash Wednesday was next week and we were on the edge of Lent. It's not that Lent wasn't down in my calendar, or that we (ministers and staff) haven't discussed it for weeks during staff meetings, but it feels as if Christmas was yesterday and now here comes Lent.

For me, no matter how much I try to prepare, Lent somehow catches my heart off-guard. I do eventually ease into the reflectiveness of the season, but find that participating in group efforts supports me into this reflective time.

What do you all find helpful during Lent?

For me, I love the book studies my church does and learn so much from my fellow Disciples and from the authors. I also find quiet times of prayer, either in corporate worship or on my own, to be times of deep conversations with God. Given that my church is almost always in use, I will sometimes go to another church to be in quiet prayer, if only for a few minutes. I also walk the labyrinth if one is available.

How about you?

And, of course, this is my church we're talking about and other Disciples may vary in how they view and observe Lent. I'm interested in hearing about that, too!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2011 - 10:09PM #2
Vanessa86

I wish I could say I am observing Lent this year, but I am not. Without a congregation where I live now, I find myself drifting through the Christian calendar.  

You know, it's interesting. I grew up in the DoC, in North Carolina and Maryland, and I don't recall hearing much about Lent during that time. Seems to me the denomination has changed a lot since the 1970s and 1980s. Not a bad thing, either -- I like having more of a rhythm to the liturgical seasons.

I do hope my friends and companions here are having a blessed Lenten season.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook