Post Reply
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View China has been producing "fake rice" made of plastic and potato......
4 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2011 - 6:41AM #1
JoliverJOLLY
Posts: 440
According to a local Chinese paper "weekly hong kong"

Quote:- (The rice) is formed by mixing the potatoes and sweet potatoes into the shape of rice grains, then adding industrial synthetic resins.

www.eutimes.net/2011/02/china-makes-fake...


"Fiat food" Max Keiser... 
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT3JTUCaB_4&feat...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2011 - 8:36AM #2
IreneAdler
Posts: 2,849


Blech!


 No problem with potato + sweet potato, but I would think there’d be digestive harm with ingesting that amount of plastic with these foods.  Plastic resin may be inert, but what about causing blockages-esp. in the very young or elderly? That could be very damaging or even deadly.


 Why not use starch (wheat, corn, potato or even rice) to hold the potato+sweet potato together to form 'rice' grains instead?

Or better yet, sell rice to folks expecting to purchase rice.


Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2011 - 10:25AM #3
JoliverJOLLY
Posts: 440

Feb 8, 2011 -- 8:36AM, IreneAdler wrote:



Blech!


 No problem with potato + sweet potato, but I would think there’d be digestive harm with ingesting that amount of plastic with these foods.  Plastic resin may be inert, but what about causing blockages-esp. in the very young or elderly?




Apparently plastic its-self is harmful or can be, it is made from oil don't forget.

www.ecologycenter.org/factsheets/plastic...

Not that it stops me using plastic bottles, although eating it is surely worse than storing food inside it.


Feb 8, 2011 -- 8:36AM, IreneAdler wrote:




That could be very damaging or even deadly.


 Why not use starch (wheat, corn, potato or even rice) to hold the potato+sweet potato together to form 'rice' grains instead?




Don't encourage them.



Feb 8, 2011 -- 8:36AM, IreneAdler wrote:



Or better yet, sell rice to folks expecting to purchase rice.




That probably is the best idea make it illegal to sell something, as something else, an invented potato grain should not be sold as rice-(Ofcourse business will say- "that idea is regulation gone mad, business should be free, to sell cardbourd as bread").

Maybe you could sell it as a new type of food, but it's not rice and no one should be expected to eat plastics.

I thought maybe they could have used gelatin instead but that is made of pig skin and bones

 en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelatin

Either way it's not rice and never will be, so should not be sold as rice.

Total pom + cranberry breakfast cerial 
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii88g-op4xo

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2011 - 10:32AM #4
teilhard
Posts: 51,790
Chinese Food Companies are no longer allowed to add PlasticStuff to Powdered Milk Infant Formula, so they had to find SOMETHING to do with it (than which) ...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2011 - 10:40AM #5
Hatman
Posts: 9,634

Feb 8, 2011 -- 6:41AM, JoliverJOLLY wrote:

According to a local Chinese paper "weekly hong kong"

Quote:- (The rice) is formed by mixing the potatoes and sweet potatoes into the shape of rice grains, then adding industrial synthetic resins.

www.eutimes.net/2011/02/china-makes-fake...


"Fiat food" Max Keiser... 
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT3JTUCaB_4&feat...


Hoo, boy.  Reminds me of why the FDA got put together in the first place---unscrupulous "businessmen" that mixed sawdust with "ground beef."

Usually, China is swift to lop off a few heads when stuff like this happens(e.g. the lead in toys thing); haven't read the articles, yet, but has this happened?  Mfr's hauled off in chains, made to confess their crimes on national teevee, that sort of thing?

With goodwill to all the People-

Hatman

"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2011 - 11:09AM #6
JoliverJOLLY
Posts: 440

Feb 8, 2011 -- 10:32AM, teilhard wrote:

Chinese Food Companies are no longer allowed to add PlasticStuff to Powdered Milk Infant Formula, so they had to find SOMETHING to do with it (than which) ...




Melamine itself isnt a plastic apparently, it's a compound chemical that is used to colour plastic but if mixed with formaldehyde Quote:- 

"Melamine is combined with formaldehyde to produce melamine resin, a very durable thermosetting plastic"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine

With the chinese milk they started putting in water to increase the quanity of liquid, that lead to a lower protein level, so they added melamine in small amounts to keep the protein levels up, for the tests. They did that for a while and then slowly put in more and more water and so more and more melamine- Greed, I do wonder for how long that actually went on before it all came out.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2011 - 11:16AM #7
JoliverJOLLY
Posts: 440

Feb 8, 2011 -- 10:40AM, Hatman wrote:

Feb 8, 2011 -- 6:41AM, JoliverJOLLY wrote:

According to a local Chinese paper "weekly hong kong"

Quote:- (The rice) is formed by mixing the potatoes and sweet potatoes into the shape of rice grains, then adding industrial synthetic resins.

www.eutimes.net/2011/02/china-makes-fake...


"Fiat food" Max Keiser... 
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT3JTUCaB_4&feat...


Hoo, boy. Reminds me of why the FDA got put together in the first place---unscrupulous "businessmen" that mixed sawdust with "ground beef."




and regulations a bad thing.....




Feb 8, 2011 -- 10:40AM, Hatman wrote:


Usually, China is swift to lop off a few heads when stuff like this happens(e.g. the lead in toys thing); haven't read the articles, yet, but has this happened?

Mfr's hauled off in chains, made to confess their crimes on national teevee, that sort of thing? With goodwill to all the People- Hatman




A good point to make but I have seen this reported in a few different places now.

Besides that apparently they have been exporting it, not feeding it to the Chinese people as far as we know anyway and Vietnam is a bit annoyed.

But all the stories are going back to the same main sourse so I suppose time will tell.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2011 - 11:37AM #8
Christianlib
Posts: 21,848
Gotta watch those tricky Chinese, next they'll try to tell us Ketchup is a vegetable.
Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2011 - 12:31PM #9
teilhard
Posts: 51,790
And ... "Selfishness" is a VIRTUE ...

Feb 8, 2011 -- 11:37AM, Christianlib wrote:


Gotta watch those tricky Chinese, next they'll try to tell us Ketchup is a vegetable.




Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2011 - 12:35PM #10
IreneAdler
Posts: 2,849

Feb 8, 2011 -- 11:37AM, Christianlib wrote:

Gotta watch those tricky Chinese, next they'll try to tell us Ketchup is a vegetable.




Well, I believe it was the Chinese who introduced the world to ketchup/catsup.


Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook