Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View China has been producing "fake rice" made of plastic and potato......
3 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2011 - 1:55PM #21
Fodaoson

Feb 8, 2011 -- 12:35PM, IreneAdler wrote:

Feb 8, 2011 -- 11:37AM, Christianlib wrote:

Gotta watch those tricky Chinese, next they'll try to tell us Ketchup is a vegetable.

Well, I believe it was the Chinese who introduced the world to ketchup/catsup.

Irene.

The tomato  is a   plant from South America. The Spanish introduced the Tomato  (from an Aztec word)  The main use of h pre Columbian tomato was in cooking like a sauce . The Chinese story is based on a character  pronounced  a little like  ketchup  but was fish sauce before  tomatoes  were known in China  They word ketchup  is French in origin , the tomato paste /sauce   itself is South American.

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2011 - 2:23PM #22
JoliverJOLLY

Feb 8, 2011 -- 1:55PM, Fodaoson wrote:

Feb 8, 2011 -- 12:35PM, IreneAdler wrote:

Feb 8, 2011 -- 11:37AM, Christianlib wrote:

Gotta watch those tricky Chinese, next they'll try to tell us Ketchup is a vegetable.

Well, I believe it was the Chinese who introduced the world to ketchup/catsup.

Irene.

The tomato  is a   plant from South America. The Spanish introduced the Tomato  (from an Aztec word)  The main use of h pre Columbian tomato was in cooking like a sauce . The Chinese story is based on a character  pronounced  a little like  ketchup  but was fish sauce before  tomatoes  were known in China  They word ketchup  is French in origin , the tomato paste /sauce   itself is South American.

Wikipedia on ketchup:-

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketchup

Quote:- "By the early 18th century, the table sauce had made it to the Malay states (present day Malaysia), where it was discovered by British explorers, and by 1740, it had become an English staple. Although today's ketchup is tomato based, it did not appear until about a century after other types."

And the Tomarto is a fruit, even if the american supreme court disagrees just to charge tax on them.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 15, 2011 - 10:54PM #23
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 28, 2011 - 5:01PM #24
christine3

Feb 8, 2011 -- 6:41AM, JoliverJOLLY wrote:

According to a local Chinese paper "weekly hong kong"

Quote:- (The rice) is formed by mixing the potatoes and sweet potatoes into the shape of rice grains, then adding industrial synthetic resins.

www.eutimes.net/2011/02/china-makes-fake...

"Fiat food" Max Keiser... 
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT3JTUCaB_4&feat...

This article doesn't ring true to me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2011 - 1:52AM #25
Ed2

Well, one good thing about this news story is that it can bring attention to the bad nutritional characteristics of white rice.

Here's a quote from WebMd:

June 14, 2010 -- Replacing white rice in your diet with brown rice may reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, according to a new study.

The finding is important because the consumption of white rice in the United States has increased dramatically in the past few decades, and about 18 million Americans have type 2 diabetes.

Researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health say eating two or more servings of brown rice weekly seems to be associated with a lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes. On the other hand, they report, eating five or more servings of white rice per week is associated with an increased risk.

diabetes.webmd.com/news/20100614/brown-r...

I think that it's pretty sad and pretty unbelievable that there are so many healthy, powerful, and healing foods that I have learned about from watching "The Doctor Oz Show"...but unfortunately, most Americans from their childhood on up, have only learned how to eat what is essentially equivalent to 'garbage'...and are basically in a 'slumber' when it comes to not having a clue as to what that kind of food is doing to their bodies and to their health. It's really sad.

~Ed2

"Hmmm. So you're saying that for Jesus' followers(throughout the centuries) to truly live a 'godly' life, they had to believe that the end of the world was just around the corner?"

~Ed2(See post #53)

"Although, I think that I'll change that to: Also...I liked the way that you dodged what I had said about being 'concerned that the Bible had to use subterfuge as a means to an end' in my post #137."

~Ed2(See post #145)

"It's utterly beyond belief, that the wealthiest country in the history of the world, fails to care for all it's people."

~Dr. Patrick Dowling, MD(From The Doctor Oz Show, which aired on 11/23/11.)

"If I could prescribe any drug on the planet, it would be food [be]cause it works better, faster, and cheaper than any medication. Food is the most powerful medicine we have...to treat chronic disease like diabetes."

~Dr. Mark Hyman, MD(From The Doctor Oz Show, which aired on 01/13/12. Also, go to www.doctoroz.com for more information.)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2011 - 2:03AM #26
Ed2

And here is some more information about White Rice vs Brown Rice:

Brown rice is a healthier choice than white rice for most people due to brown rice's higher fiber, magnesium and zinc content. According to the USDA My Pyramid website, the milling process converts brown rice to white rice. This process removes the bran and the germ as well as fiber, vitamins and minerals. Most white rice in the United States is enriched, meaning iron and some of the B-vitamins including thiamin, riboflavin, niacin and folic acid are added to white rice to boost the nutrient content.

www.livestrong.com/article/381241-nutrit...

I think that it's pretty sad and pretty unbelievable that there are so many healthy, powerful, and healing foods that I have learned about from watching "The Doctor Oz Show"...but unfortunately, most Americans from their childhood on up, have only learned how to eat what is essentially equivalent to 'garbage'...and are basically in a 'slumber' when it comes to not having a clue as to what that kind of food is doing to their bodies and to their health. It's really sad.

~Ed2

"Hmmm. So you're saying that for Jesus' followers(throughout the centuries) to truly live a 'godly' life, they had to believe that the end of the world was just around the corner?"

~Ed2(See post #53)

"Although, I think that I'll change that to: Also...I liked the way that you dodged what I had said about being 'concerned that the Bible had to use subterfuge as a means to an end' in my post #137."

~Ed2(See post #145)

"It's utterly beyond belief, that the wealthiest country in the history of the world, fails to care for all it's people."

~Dr. Patrick Dowling, MD(From The Doctor Oz Show, which aired on 11/23/11.)

"If I could prescribe any drug on the planet, it would be food [be]cause it works better, faster, and cheaper than any medication. Food is the most powerful medicine we have...to treat chronic disease like diabetes."

~Dr. Mark Hyman, MD(From The Doctor Oz Show, which aired on 01/13/12. Also, go to www.doctoroz.com for more information.)
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook