there is a move at BN to shut down inactive forums-lets keep this one alive
Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2011 - 3:07PM #2
TPaine

Feb 4, 2011 -- 9:53AM, davelaw40 wrote:

+1 There are many church/state issues that can be discussed. Some examples are school voucher programs, faith based initiatives, attempts to teach creationism in public school science classes, the Virginia bill to allow school sponsored prayer in public schools, and POTUS speaking at the National Prayer Breakfast which is run by the Family (aka. the Fellowship) a secretive organization that supports the proposed "Kill the Gays" bill in Uganda as well as runs the C St. House in DC that provides low rent housing to some Christian Members of Congress.

"War is a racket. It always has been. It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives." -- General Smedley Butler: War is a Racket (1935)

"War is mankind's most tragic and stupid folly; to seek or advise its deliberate provocation is a black crime against all men. Though you follow the trade of the warrior, you do so in the spirit of Washington — not of Genghis Khan. For Americans, only threat to our way of life justifies resort to conflict." - General of the Army Dwight D. Eisenhower: Graduation Exercises at the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York, USA at 3 June 1947
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2011 - 10:53PM #3
MSaraTemp

+1 TPaine

Ditto to both you and Dave.

And thanks Dave for bringing this to our attention.

My vote is to keep this forum open.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2011 - 11:52AM #4
Do_unto_others

Feb 5, 2011 -- 3:07PM, TPaine wrote:

+1 There are many church/state issues that can be discussed. Some examples are school voucher programs, faith based initiatives, attempts to teach creationism in public school science classes, the Virginia bill to allow school sponsored prayer in public schools, and POTUS speaking at the National Prayer Breakfast which is run by the Family (aka. the Fellowship) a secretive organization that supports the proposed "Kill the Gays" bill in Uganda as well as runs the C St. House in DC that provides low rent housing to some Christian Members of Congress.

The NPB is a once-a-year event, so it will only rear its ugly head that often.

Meh.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2011 - 6:59PM #5
davelaw40

then post about something else- start a thread or two

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2011 - 3:25AM #6
Summer813

Sorry I've been so quiet/absent. I started a writing project, which has eaten my brain.

Give me a day or two and I'll see if I can come up with a coherent topic for a thread. Or maybe I'll invite some friends over here to do it.

Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy. - Mike Callahan, Callahan's Crosstime Saloon
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2011 - 10:53AM #7
Do_unto_others

Here's some questions:

Is this decision to close inactive groups a done deal (i.e. has it already taken place)?

If not, where is the report of this "move at BN to shut down inactive forums"?

Is "shutting them down" the same as taking them offline entirely (perhaps in order to free up storage/capacity for new forums?)

Or, will we still be able to view older but now-closed forums?

How is the decision made, or what criteria need to be met for forums to be closed? (Background here: Rod Dreher's old blogs, though "closed" to further comboxing, are still readable here, yet the old Mormon blog [sorry, can't remember its name] is not. Why one and not the other?)

Should we be typing "fora" instead of "forums"?

;{O)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2011 - 12:43PM #8
davelaw40

Mar 10, 2011 -- 10:53AM, Do_unto_others wrote:

Here's some questions:

Is this decision to close inactive groups a done deal (i.e. has it already taken place)?

If not, where is the report of this "move at BN to shut down inactive forums"?

Is "shutting them down" the same as taking them offline entirely (perhaps in order to free up storage/capacity for new forums?)

Or, will we still be able to view older but now-closed forums?

How is the decision made, or what criteria need to be met for forums to be closed? (Background here: Rod Dreher's old blogs, though "closed" to further comboxing, are still readable here, yet the old Mormon blog [sorry, can't remember its name] is not. Why one and not the other?)

Should we be typing "fora" instead of "forums"?

;{O)

1) no-not a done deal-just gossip among hosts-one of many "streamlining suggestions"

2) behind closed doors in host only orbums-I prolly was in violation for mentioning it

3 & 4) the proposal was to lock untrafficked forums-presumably one could still view

5) don't know

6) forums

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook