Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
3 years ago  ::  Aug 25, 2011 - 8:10PM #21
Glynlaura

Aug 25, 2011 -- 7:38PM, RevDorris wrote:

Dot,

Irene left us alone.  Just a little rain.  First time a large storm has come that close -- made the turn and gone away. The last big storm was Andrew -- they said it would go north -- it turned an came south making a direct hit on Homestead.

All I can do is plant a few seeds -- maybe the AUC or Unitarian Community will grow in time to offer an alternative to the UUA.  A few independent Unitarian churches are springing up.  One is in Miami  that meets a couple of times a month during the school year.

Glyn,

You must be a born leader to find a leadership position in every church you have been in.  Few people have this gift.

Fear of rejection or failure comes in when we try to own the position or project that we work on.  The inner workings of most churches will turn-off many dedicated people.  Churches are run as businesses not as a house of prayer and worship.  To survive you must take the attitude of a servant and do what needs to be done without recognition or reward.

All human beings have flaws and faults.  These are the people the churches are to serve.  We have to share our truths then let the individuals decide to follow, implement them, or not.  Do not look on any person or group as an enemy.  You may see them as misguided or lost but they are still family.  You have experienced the types of people the ancients said we would encounter.  There will be the hypocrites, the status-qua members, those seeking power and control, the workers or servants, and those who are good for nothing.  Continue to see everyone as a human being, warts and all, but accept them for who they are.

When churches forget their role is to serve the people, aid the poor and those in need, the church fails in its role.  The bottom line is that a fancy building or group of people do not make a church.  A church is made through service to the community.  It can be one individual or a group working for the good of all.

Step out the door, make a single person smile, or perform a random act of kindness -- anything that promotes what is good -- you are doing God's work.  You are in God's church wherever you are and with whomever you may be with.  You are right, Spirituality or religion is not real until it is freely lived in your own life and you allow others to freely pursue the highest good as they understand it.

Stop fearing -- just do as you believe -- then let others do the same.  Acts of love will plant the seeds of harmony and peace.  By sharing with others without expecting results -- we learn and grow together as a family and a church.

Rev Dorris,

Thank you. Your encouraging voice comes at a good place in my life, where it is needed and I am open enough to recieve it. I don't know about having the gift of leadership. I just am a firm believer  that if you find a problem, you should be the one willing to stand up and face it, and sometime that leads me into leaderhsip. I feel more like a servant and seldom do I need recognition (the only place I fight that is in my work place). Instead often I feel as if I am battling for the ones without voices and without choices.

I am currently in a search for sacred space in my life and a sens of community. I will continue to attend my UU church but I know in my heart of hearts that it provides neither of those things for me.

I am feeling called more and more toward nature and am open to finding my sacred space will not include a building but rather emcompass nature as a whole. I know some of my most spiritual moments have been at the sea or in the mountians.

As for a community, I am not sure how that will play out. I am praying and meditating on the idea. I want a community similar to UU in principles but I do not want to have to "hide" my worhsip of a diety, even if that diety may be different than the person worshiping beside me.

I am trying to walk out my beliefs. This is a struggle for me, because despite what I sometimes display, I am at heart an introvert and need time and space to be alone, to think and to mull over the questions with or without answers. Sometimes moving into the world with its chaos and never ending noise is difficult. However, God continues to give me wonderful opportunites to practice kindess and unconditional regard. 

I feel better about the struggle and about the path when I meet individuals like yourself. Thank you again for my encourgement. Namaste.

Glyn

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2011 - 7:45AM #22
DotNotInOz

Aug 25, 2011 -- 7:38PM, RevDorris wrote:

When churches forget their role is to serve the people, aid the poor and those in need, the church fails in its role.  The bottom line is that a fancy building or group of people do not make a church.  A church is made through service to the community.  It can be one individual or a group working for the good of all.

Heartily agreed, RevD, and thank you for that reminder as well as for the rest of your very wise comments.

I noticed in all three of the UU churches I've attended for any length of time that the members only seemed really animated when it came to coffeetime. In the last one, that was when a person sometimes would go about through the crowd asking for interested volunteers for some personal service project. Of the three, that church was the most in touch with what I feel UUism truly is.

As Glyn mentions, my spiritual connections are typically renewed by being outdoors. Like Emerson, my "church" has always been Nature itself. When I've felt most disconnected from a UU church was when members decided they must have a new, bigger and fancier building.  

I expect I'd be more at home with a growing UU fellowship that still met in people's homes. Not much of a joiner, I've never been inspired to attempt to start one, though, despite that being an obvious solution to my feeling a need for a spiritual community.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2011 - 7:18PM #23
RevDorris

Nature and home fellowships played important roles in the early church and its teachings.  It would be good if we could reestablish this bond with our mother the earth.  It would be good if we could reestablish the close fellowships in our homes.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 29, 2011 - 11:33AM #24
JCarlin

Aug 28, 2011 -- 7:18PM, RevDorris wrote:

Nature and home fellowships played important roles in the early church and its teachings.  It would be good if we could reestablish this bond with our mother the earth.  It would be good if we could reestablish the close fellowships in our homes.

I have found through the years that family meals together both breakfast and dinner are critical for family solidarity.  In our house as soon as the children were old enough to cook each person was responsible for their share of meals which all attended.  A tradition that I discovered recently that is UU in its flavor is instead of a prayer, each person tells the best thing that happened to them today, and one thing I learned today.  When the ritual is finished the chef for the day serves dinner.  Guests are included in the ritual.   

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 29, 2011 - 1:57PM #25
Glynlaura

Aug 28, 2011 -- 7:18PM, RevDorris wrote:

Yes these things could go a long way toward making the church both healthier and more committed to one anther. I particpated in both cell groups and small groups in the CHristian church and was amazed at the growth and committment to one anothre I had / witnessed in those groups. I still count some of the peopel are my closest friends even though we are now thousands of miles apart.

Quick Reply
Cancel
12 months ago  ::  May 08, 2013 - 1:01AM #26
RevDorris

The mind is like a shepherd within men and women. It is the revealer of the light and provides guidance and protection in the dark. Listen carefully -- hear its still small voice.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
12 months ago  ::  May 08, 2013 - 1:08AM #27
Glynlaura

Rev Dorris, so good to be hearing from you again!!

Quick Reply
Cancel
12 months ago  ::  May 08, 2013 - 12:01PM #28
RevDorris

Thanks.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
12 months ago  ::  May 08, 2013 - 12:04PM #29
RevDorris

Some people look at everything as a Miracle. Some people look at nothing as a Miracle. Life itself is the Miracle of Miracles. To experience the fullness of life, the love of the One, and to grow in knowledge and wisdom is why we are here.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook