Switch to Forum Live View Swedenborgian View of Thanksgiving
3 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2010 - 7:47AM #1
ceblair

This morning in getting ready for Church, I am sitting in my  office thinking about what does it really take to get ready for  Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving, in this denomination, is the very core of worship, referred to one place as the "all of worship."   Why  is that?  I think the process is two fold – a first step – awareness of  what we have – followed by a second step – awareness of what we have to  give.  That is something to come open to.  What is that you have …. to  give.

Because we all do, we all harbor this “thing” that was the point of  God creating us.  Often largely unknown, ignored, or unlived in this  life it still stirs.   When we take moments to worship in the spirit of  thanks and gratitude for the blessing, we can feel its gentle presence.   Why?  As Emanuel Swedenborg phrased it, “Because the divine nature  intimately affects everything with good and with blessedness.”  (Heaven  and Hell)

Last night I was able to witness one of those moments.  I was  privileged to preside at a 50th Wedding Anniversary/ Renewal of vows. To  watch Mary Ellen and Paul socializing after the service, “working the  crowd” with obvious joy and gratitude for the gold that was their life,  was to watch a prayer of Thanksgiving literally unfold on a beautiful  night at Pen Ryn.  They are living in what they have and in what they  have to give – to each other, to their family, to their community.

So getting ready this morning is about clarity – clarity about a very simple, very profound message.  What we have is nice.  What we have to give is the point.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2010 - 9:47AM #2
Kultarr

Thankyou, and well said! Giving of ourselves is the greatest way we can express gratitude for all we have been privileged with in our lives.

The miracle is not that we do this work, but that we are happy to do it. ~Mother Teresa

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook