Switch to Forum Live View Do all Christians Believe that Jesus is God?
4 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2010 - 9:02PM #1
Aminagirl

I'd like to know what religion I would belong to if I believe that Jesus is the Christ and Messsiah but do not believe Jesus is God.  I do believe he is the Son of God and our mediator to God The Father.

Thank you,

Amina

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2010 - 12:47PM #2
rebekahe7

You would not want to join a Pentecostl Oneness church if you believe in the triune God, because they are modalists who believe Jesus IS God the Father & the Holy Spirit. Most any other protestant church teaches the Trinity (ONE God in 3 persons-not literal bodies), which is what you believe. (Me too!)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 14, 2010 - 6:25PM #3
Lrd10
All should believe that Jesus is God if they profess to be Christians.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 25, 2010 - 8:58PM #4
Servantofchrist

Both Trinitarians and Oneness adherents believe that Jesus is God. However, Oneness Pentecostals differ in that they believe that Jesus is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. They believe that God is one being in one person. Trinitarians believe that Jesus is God, but that God is one being made up of three persons. They believe that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are all God, and are all distinct persons within the one being of God (not that Father, Son, and Spirit are three separate gods).

For someone to believe that Jesus is not God would  stray from both Trinitarianism and Oneness theology, and would become closer to Arianism or some other doctrine on the person of Christ (Christology). Some denominations include Jehovah's witnesses. That would not include Catholic, Protestant, or Pentecostal (Oneness and Trinitarian), Eastern Orthodox, Evangelical, etc. 

In sum ( i say this because you posted this on the Oneness Pentecostal forum), both Oneness and Trinitarian believers believe that Jesus is God, but they define God in different terms (referring to His makeup). One group believes that Jesus is the one person of God in the flesh while the other group believes that Jesus is a member of the Trinity in the flesh. 

I would love to talk more about it if you'd like!

Blessings and Merry Christmas!!! Hope some of that helped.

J

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2011 - 10:29PM #5
Johnboymv

As someone who is currently Apostolic, and was raised Baptist, I felt the need to chime in here.  The first place I heard that Jesus was God was in my former Baptist church.  As a very young boy (5 or 6) I was under the impression that Jesus was my "brother."  After all, God is Jesus' Father and my Father as well, so obviously, we're siblings, right?  When I brought this up my brilliant observation in Sunday School, my teacher corrected me and let me know that Jesus--the Man--was God's Son, but that the Spirit that lived inside of that body was God the Father.   It just made sense to me.  Now again, I stress that this was taught to me in a Trinitarian Baptist church.  

Fast-forward 12 or 13 years.  I had started attending a oneness Apostolic (UPC-affiliated) church.  After much study, I realized that I agreed with their doctrine of salvation.  In my now 16 years of attending that church, I still agree with the doctrine, but there have been many things that I feel the UPC, shall we say, reaches for, in their attempts to explain things.  I'm talking mainly about outward standards (don't get me wrong, I believe in holiness and modesty, but I think some things are overkill).  The only standard that I see a definite scriptural backup for is "the hair thing."  But standards isn't the reason for this post. 

The biggest beef I have with the UPC (which again, I agree with in doctrine) is the way they misrepresent Trinitarianism.  UPC ministers regularly talk of how trinitarians worship "3 Gods" or a "schizophrenic 3-part deity."  This is simply not the case.  Most UPCers confuse trinitarianism for tri-theism, the actual belief in the 3 gods.  I've heard tri-theism represented as trinitarianism in Sunday School, campmeetings, and even in my classes at Indiana Bible College, a UPC-run school.  I've been a trinitarian, and I've been a oneness believer, and I've come to a startling realization: it's two ways of explaining the same thing.  Ask a trinitarian how many thrones are in heaven, he'll tell you there's one.  Ask a oneness believer the same question, you'll get the same answer.  Ask a oneness believer is Jesus is the Son of God, he'll say yes, and so will a trinitarian. 

So to the trinitarian, I say: the Oneness believers don't deny the Father and the Holy Ghost.  They believe that all 3 exist in the Godhead, as offices held by Christ Jesus (Col. 2:9).  And to the oneness believer I say: trinitarians don't believe in 3 Gods.  They believe in one God, holy and eternal.  They just use the term "person" instead of "manifestation."  And to both I say:  while there may be some big doctrinal differences as far as salvation goes, WE BELIEVE THE SAME THING ABOUT GOD!!! 

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook