Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Question: Does God test us?
4 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2010 - 9:49PM #21
Stephenway

Oct 21, 2010 -- 7:10PM, dio wrote:

Don't be silly God doesn't test us. God didn't put a desirable fruit in the garden just to see if Adam would obey.

God is with us through all these things.

When we get ourselves into these fixes God suffers too.

No God doesn't test us.  I laugh at that thought.  We are given the use of free will and the roads we choose are the ones that lead us to different places in our life.  I can say that if you listen to God once you pray you will receive answers but listening and believing are hard for some and it may not be what YOU want but what God wants for you.

Suezlu

..."OneScript.exec('moderation_ModerationSystem', 'getContentModerationPopup', 471193353, 'forum_post', '33683784');" class="moderationAdvancedIcn" id="moderationIcn-471193353-forum_post">

Of course this depends on one's interpretation of who God is and what is His communication to us.  I believe in the Bible, and from the Bible, many have been, are, and will be tested.  There was no reason for a tree in a garden for man to be commanded not to eat unless it was a test.  Why would it have been placed there if not to test human resolve to follow God or not?  God is not the only being to test the human resolve, but to those who accept the teachings of the Old and New Testaments, He test, tries, and proves people.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2010 - 10:26PM #22
Bouncybaby

God never tests us nor should we try and test God. We are given the free will to choose good or evil. God wants us to believe and trust in Him completely. Putting everything in God's hand, that means everything good and bad. Don't worry about what to wear, or what to eat or drink. Never worry about tomorrow, tomorrow has it's own problems. Live each day and thank God for all things in your life. If you ask Him to help,  always ask Him in the name of Jesus Christ. Believe and it will be done. Give thanks to God always and for all things. Don't look to angels or spirits of light to get God's attention. When we think of angels we seem to picture them as beautiful with wings. That's man's perception of what angels look like. Real angels have no bodies, they are a form of energy, good spirits and negative spirits.  God's angels are in heaven, keep in mind a fallen angel can do the same thing a good angel can do.They can work miracles too. The earth is surrounded by negative energy or spirits - fallen angels,  we must stand strong in the Lord to overcome them.  God is a jealous God and nowhere in the Bible states we should pray to others or ask others for help.

Remember in 1 Timothy 4:1-3 in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons. Keep in mind Satan and his angels claimed to be spirits of light. It really comes down to people have lost their faith in God Alone and look to other forms to get prayers answered. If your prayers are not answered then it is God's will, then we must except it. When prayers are not answered and something bad happens, later we find that something good came out of it. That's God, He hears and answers in His own time, His way. He knows what's best for us. Stop, be quiet and listen to to your heart. For God sends His Holy Spirit upon you and when we learn to listen He leads us in the way we should go.  

The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2010 - 10:28PM #23
Anesis

God tested Abraham.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2010 - 11:26PM #24
Bouncybaby

God no longer test us since the birth of Jesus. Jesus is the truth, the way and the light. We are given free will to do good or evil.

The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2010 - 11:43PM #25
Anesis

1 Thess 2:4

2 Cor 2:9

James 1:2-4, 12

1 Peter 1:7

Rev 3:10

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 25, 2010 - 6:17AM #26
Stephenway

Of course Anesis references refer to more than just of God's testings of man's faith, but also those of the Adversary.  But they also refer to that trying of the faith whereby God trains and builds up Christians, sometimes for special purposes.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2010 - 1:06PM #27
Rgurley4

PLEASE...See my post # 7 of Oct 05, 2010 - 4:38PM

YES...a BELIEVER is tested  / tempted / judged, BUT not in the same way as an UNBELIEVER.

YES...a BELIEVER has "eternal security" and cannot lose his salvation, BUT he must follow the WILL of God, AND his WORKS after salvation will be JUDGED.

YES...
"I believe in the Bible, and from the Bible, many have been, are, and will be "tested" by the (Tri-Une GOD)."... 
".... to those who accept the teachings of the Old and New Testaments, He (God) tests, tries, and proves people."

YES...
God is not the only being to "test" the human resolve (conscience/spirit)...ADD: The World System / Satan + fallen / Sin Nature of Unsaved Man

YES...
"...TESTS of faith (progressive salvation) whereby God trains and builds up Christians...(tests of discipleship)

EXAMPLES:
A covenant is a conditional promise... IF you do X (e.g....follow the LAW), our relationship will be Y...a TEST!
Old Testament Covenants with: Adam / Eve + Noah + Abraham/decendants = Israel + Joshua + Kings + Judges !

New Testament Covenant / Test..."What have you done with my Son?"...Grace through faith...salvation, growth, and discipleship
God uses clean vessels. You must PROVE that you can handle a Spirit-guided task that is within the will of God before a greater one is entrusted to you.

Matthew 16:24 (NIV)...The COSTS / TESTS of following JESUS...annotated

24 Then Jesus said to his disciples,
 "IF anyone would come after me, (be a true example of a Christ-follower)
he must:
(1) deny himself and ..............(put God + Family + "neighbor" FIRST)
(2) take up his cross and........(sacrifice: follow WILL + give LIFE)
(3) follow me.........................(obey Jesus' precepts, rules, and examples)

Being a Christ-follower...the ultimate TEST!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2010 - 1:26PM #28
Stephenway

Continuing from my earlier posts on this thread, it had been brought up reservations about using the term saved.  If people may gain salvation, then what other term would be used for someone who had experienced salvation?  But from the beginning of this thread, the subjects were testing and eternal security.

Hebrews suggests that if it were possible that one should fall away (from his experience in salvation- the heavenly) then it would be impossible for him to be saved again, because that would mean crucifying our Savior again, and He is not going back to the cross.

As God can see the end from the beginning, would someone be given the "gift" (it is described more than once in the New Testament as a 'gift') of salvation, God knowing that down the road he was going to lose so great a gift?

The New Testament teaches that the Holy Spirit Who began a work in the saved person is able to complete that which He began.  If a person were to lose his salvation, would that mean the Holy Spirit had begun a work that He couldn't finish?

As to testing.  Remember, testing can often be a form of training and educational experience.  Chastisement is also intended to be a training and educational experience.  Read Hebrews 12: 5- 11 to see how God is know to chastise His children, and if we not be chastised, how can we be called His children?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 12:32PM #29
Shannon

Greetings everyone,

God answers all of the questions:

God does test us.  Please read what He said in Jeremiah 17:9-10...

Jeremiah 17:9-10 says, "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; Who can know it?  I, the LORD, search the heart, I test the mind, even to give every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his doings."

God desires to save all  of us- including the unbelievers.  How do you interperet the passages below?...

1John 2:1-2 says, "My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin.  And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.  And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.

1Timothy 4:4 says, "For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving; for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

1Timothy 2:3-6 says, "For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.  For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time..."

2Peter 3:9 says, "The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

I believe, that God may even hand a person to the enemy, when they do not repent, in order to teach them a lesson so that perhaps they will repent.  1Corinthians 5:4-5 says, "In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when you are gathered together, along with my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus."

Ezekiel 18:32 says, "For I have no pleasure in the death of one who dies," says the LORD God, "Therefore turn and live!"

Romans 14:10-12 says, "But why do you judge your brother?  Or why do you show contempt for your brother?  For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.  For it is written:  'As I live, says the LORD, every knee shall bow to Me, and every tongue shall confess to God.'  So then each of us shall give account of himself to God."

Our Father in Heaven is the God of Hope!

Thanks for reading,

Selah

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2010 - 2:47PM #30
Suezlu

In the Bible there are many who are tested and everyday we are "tested" on whether we give into  temptations or lose sight of God.  If you want to use the word "tested" for this is up to  you.  I think the translations to English can leave for lack of a words in the Bible.  That is why the different translations are somewhat different.  Your way with God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit is the way to continue.  If you think you need a test then go off the path but it is much better for you to stay on the path and God won't give you anymore than you can endure.  But faith walk and talk with God will make the "tests' in life easier. :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook