Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
4 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2010 - 10:59AM #11
BeerLover

What does the bible say???  It lumps divination in with witchcraft, astrology, and the like as things which are all very bad.  Do a search on the keyword "divination" and the resulting passages will not fill you with warm fuzzies...

And there is at least one other story about somebody doing divination.  It's in Acts Chapter 16.  It talks about a slave girl with a spirit of divination who brought her masters much money.  She calls out Paul as a chosen servant of God.  Paul gets annoyed and commands the spirit to leave the girl.  The girl's owners are angry and have Paul thrown in prision.  Personally, I think the whole "slave girl practicing divination" was simply a plot device to get St. Paul thrown into prision where the real story takes place.  but you catch my drift all the same....

I think the more fundamental truth is we should not try to be like God.  Rather we should let God reach down and make us more like Him- God filling us and working through us.  Our esoteric gifts should be used according to God's will to glorify God.  They should never be used for our own purposes or to gain power for ourselves.  I understand this is a very biblical view which is not universally shared.  The Buddhists, for example, teach that we can all become Buddah.  Still, there are certain elements - destruction of ego, no longer wanting things- that are similar. 

Good to see you posting here again,

BeerLover

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2010 - 12:46PM #12
BeerLover

Here is a modern day example of "eating potatoes is a sin."  Apparently, yoga is verboten now because it promotes the un-Christian idea "that the body is a vehicle for reaching consciousness with the divine."

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101007/ap_on_re/us...

As an aside, Reiki is considered unChristian because it doesn't specifically embrace Jesus and God, but talks about a unversal energy.  My feeling is if I can ease people's pain and suffering, that can't be a bad thing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2010 - 11:12PM #13
ManzanitaBear

Oct 7, 2010 -- 10:59AM, BeerLover wrote:

What does the bible say???  It lumps divination in with witchcraft, astrology, and the like as things which are all very bad. 

And yet the Magi who visited the baby Jesus were astrologers, and they're not denounced. The book of Revelation is chock full of astrological imagery. All bad? Not necessarily.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2010 - 8:28AM #14
BeerLover

Oct 9, 2010 -- 11:12PM, ManzanitaBear wrote:

Oct 7, 2010 -- 10:59AM, BeerLover wrote:

What does the bible say???  It lumps divination in with witchcraft, astrology, and the like as things which are all very bad. 

And yet the Magi who visited the baby Jesus were astrologers, and they're not denounced. The book of Revelation is chock full of astrological imagery. All bad? Not necessarily.

The three wise men were given a pass because they came to worship the baby Jesus (glorify God).  Never mind they used astrology to find him.  It does seem to be a glaring inconsistency all the same.  For me it comes down to a matter of where you put your trust.

And I'm not even going to touch Revelations...

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook