Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The chronicles of Narnia
4 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2010 - 7:28PM #1
David

The chronicles of Narnia is a good book. Right now I am reading the silver chair. it is when the kids first leave the real world into the  magical realm. There is a talking polar bear that guides them. Talking owls, and people age slower there as well. I recommend reading the chronicles of Narnia. Every book. there is about 7 or 8 of them. You can catch it on tv as well. There is the chronicles of narnia, and number 2, the prince caspian. I saw both of them. I also read a book about a dark elf who hunts in the wild and went to a dwarf town, and I read harry potter the Goblet of fire and saw Harry potter the half blood prince and the Goblet of fire.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 28, 2010 - 8:28AM #2
Innerpoint

Jul 11, 2010 -- 7:28PM, David wrote:

...I also read a book about a dark elf who hunts in the wild and went to a dwarf town...

Are you talking about the series of books by R.A. Salvatore?  The character's name is Drizzt Do'Urden?  The first book I read with him in it was The Crystal Shard, but there's been many, many more.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 29, 2010 - 2:16AM #3
David

Jul 28, 2010 -- 8:28AM, Innerpoint wrote:

Jul 11, 2010 -- 7:28PM, David wrote:

...I also read a book about a dark elf who hunts in the wild and went to a dwarf town...

Are you talking about the series of books by R.A. Salvatore?  The character's name is Drizzt Do'Urden?  The first book I read with him in it was The Crystal Shard, but there's been many, many more.

YES!!!!! Drizzt do'urden!~ Precisely. I see you have read the book too. I forget the name, I never got my book back from jail. They kept my stuff, but sure enough, he is the main character.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 29, 2010 - 9:16AM #4
Sacrificialgoddess

I find C.S. Lewis' writing style obnoxious.  Don't know why.  Now Lloyd Alexander, now there's a writer!

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 29, 2010 - 10:13PM #5
David

Jul 29, 2010 -- 9:16AM, Sacrificialgoddess wrote:

I find C.S. Lewis' writing style obnoxious.  Don't know why.  Now Lloyd Alexander, now there's a writer!

That's okay, different strokes for different folks, and to each his own.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2010 - 3:06AM #6
Yavanna

I've got to admit, David, I wouldn't expect Christian literature to be so appealing to a pagan. What is it about the Chronicles of Narnia that you like so much?

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2010 - 9:24PM #7
David

Oct 7, 2010 -- 3:06AM, Yavanna wrote:

I've got to admit, David, I wouldn't expect Christian literature to be so appealing to a pagan. What is it about the Chronicles of Narnia that you like so much?

Well, the changes to the real world from our world to theirs, it is very pagan, with talking animals and a healing lion. I like all of the chronicles of narnia. I like the talking owl, the new world, that they go to through the closet, and the action. It's not very christian at all. This christian has something in common to the Pagans, meaning h worships on sunday, saturday is the christian jewish day of worship.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2010 - 10:32PM #8
Sacrificialgoddess
The lion is a blatant Christ symbol.
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2010 - 3:03PM #9
Yavanna

Oct 8, 2010 -- 10:32PM, Sacrificialgoddess wrote:

The lion is a blatant Christ symbol.

Yep. The books aren't an allegory, but they are written to be theological fiction. Aslan is representative of how Jesus Christ (as God) would be in another world. The Christian themes and doctrines practically scream from the pages and screen.

I'm not downing them by any means. Both my wife and I like them, but I do think it's a good idea to be aware of their content and message.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2010 - 3:24PM #10
gorm-sionnach

Oct 8, 2010 -- 9:24PM, David wrote:

Oct 7, 2010 -- 3:06AM, Yavanna wrote:

Well, the changes to the real world from our world to theirs, it is very pagan, with talking animals and a healing lion. I like all of the chronicles of narnia. I like the talking owl, the new world, that they go to through the closet, and the action. It's not very christian at all. This christian has something in common to the Pagans, meaning h worships on sunday, saturday is the christian jewish day of worship.

David,

The Chronicles of Narnia are about as blatantly Christian as a work fo fiction can be without it being "Left Behind". C.S. Lewis was a devout Christian, and aside from his narnia series, wrote a number of Christian apolegetic books as well.

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook