Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Peacemaking Revelation re Church Music
4 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2010 - 9:45AM #11
Eagle-1

Jun 24, 2010 -- 2:17PM, Clydson wrote:

I believe a better question is, should we understand "harp" or "harps", in Rev 5:8, 14:2 and 15:2, as being literal instruments or symbolic for something else?  And, how are these "harps" relative to God commanding earth bound flesh and blood humans to worship with MIM?

Another question: doesn't John say his writing the revelation stemmed from a vision given him by Christ?  And that the recipients were the seven churches of Asia?  Exactly how many of these churches then began to worship with MIM because of John's vision?

Again, and the same conclusion rings true, to worship with MIM is merely a choice of human thinking.

Jake

I'm  not  sure  what  your  abbreviation  MIM  means.   And   the  seven  churches  were just the original  recipients  of  John's  letter.   Eventually  we  all  are.   

I have to agree with your  last  paragraph  there, and  certainly  wish  the  CofC  would stop being separatists  over  it.   Some of them continue  to  insist  instruments are  not even mentioned in the NT,  showing  they  didn't  read  all  of  it.   If   they  just  want  a  way of being different from the other denoms,  why  can't  they  just admit  that?  

Eagle
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2010 - 5:23PM #12
Clydson

MIM is the abbreviation for Mechanical Instruments of Music.  

I'm not so sure that the vision of John was to be directed to the entire body of Christ.  There's just no evidence or indication; it's presumption.  Even if it were there's nothing by way of command demanding worship by MIM.

To your allegation that church members are being separatists in regard to MIM; I believe you're wrong.  In order for an organization to separate from anything, they had to at one time be a part of it.  The church of Christ did not begin her existence worshipping with MIM.  Those that left this original authority and established their own are the real separatists. 

Also, I believe you are wrong alleging the church refuses to admit the NT mentions harps.  The church's admission is the lack of NT command to worship with them.

Jake

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2010 - 6:47PM #13
Eagle-1

This is tongue-in-cheek, Clydson, almost humor,  but  where  is  the  command  to  always have  a  direct  command?   

And if  "the harps of God" represent something else, then  what?  

I  think I've said  harps a/k/a lyres  are  the music  business'  logo  for  all  instruments, but I can't   think  of  anything  else  they could  represent.   Can  you?   

The seven churches of Asia almost  certainly  could  not  afford  musical  instruments,  and I'm certainly  not  claiming  they're  mandatory.    In the letter to them, are they being told by the vision  that  harps  would  be  okay?  If so,  it shows there can be just an example, doesn't have to be a command.   I'm  just  seeking opinions  and  wondering if there's something about this  subject  that  none of us have  thought  of.   Just pondering  it,  partly in the interest of peace between denominations and family members. 

Eagle
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook