Switch to Forum Live View money, simplicity, security, etc
5 years ago  ::  May 12, 2010 - 3:24PM #1
findingmyselfgod

Money is obviously a very taboo subject (at least in American culture), but I hope we can discuss it here. It seems like an area of life for which the word "wisdom" was created. I think it is a very spiritual topic, even though (or because) our attitudes to money are often not what we would consider spiritual!

How much is "enough?" Or is any amount enough?

What is security?

How do you control your spending?

Etc.

A few years ago I got interested in the voluntary simplicity movement, and it affected me a little. I got rid of my credit cards and eventually got out of debt, and now I've even saved a little.

Now I'm starting to think I should work a little bit less, but an inner voice accuses me of laziness and irresponsibility. So "How much is enough?" is a real question for me right now. You might have insight into this, or any other kind of insight/questions/concerns etc....

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 12, 2010 - 10:48PM #2
Jcarlinbn

May 12, 2010 -- 3:24PM, findingmyselfgod wrote:

How much is "enough?" Or is any amount enough? 

I joke that I acquired a taste for wine out of poverty.  My wife and I were in grad school living on my loan covering tuition, books and living expenses for the family.  Her expenses were covered by a stipend for tuition and books.  The only recreation we could afford was enough gas to get the old VW bug up to Sonoma and back. Camping out and eating a baguette with salami and cheese.  In those days wine tasting, just a tiny swallow per each, was free, so up and back we stopped at all the wineries for a taste.  The scenery was wonderful and the earnest discussions of the various wines was a great weekend's entertainment.  Oh yeah, we learned to cook good things out of all the cheap meats, pasta  and veggies.  Do you know that an asparagus spear dipped in a home made mustard sauce is better than an artichoke in a commercial sauce?

Would I want to do it for a lifetime, no, but knowing I could makes living within one's means a lot easier to do.  

Jcarlinbn, community moderator
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 13, 2010 - 10:33AM #3
Jcarlinbn

Another way to make a game out of saving money: A friend of mine and I in the 80's scoured the streets of Midtown NYC for a <$5 lunch that was worth trying again.  This led us to lots of fun ethnic restaurants we would have never tried otherwise.  Our favorite was a Japanese skewered chicken that I later found out was a street vendor special in Japan.  

Jcarlinbn, community moderator
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook