Switch to Forum Live View why choose a labeled religion?
5 years ago  ::  May 06, 2010 - 3:42PM #1
Betty

I have been studying many diff religions and beliefs recently, and I am only a couple months into my "spiritual journey" and inside my thoughts were confused and chaotic....until...I stumbled on the thought of holistic living.  My views direct me to believe bits and pieces of some diff religions, but I am also a believer of astrological insight aw well as naturepathic and even the chrytals have an effect on the overall energy that we have within ourselves which also connects us to the earth a lot more than most are lead to believe.  I believe whole heartedly in God and I have my main christian beliefs, but I also feel that yes the bible is a handbook from god to humankind that tells us how we are supposed to live holy, but i also feel that man wrote it and could have changed tiny pieces to better himself or what they think will benefit humankind in their own eyes.  Life is what you make it and god gave us all the freedom of choice....therefore ALL labeled religions are tainted in their own way and there is not a COMPLETLY true religion anymore.  The devil is good at what the devil does! I believe we are given everything on earth for a reason and it is because of our freedom of choice that God lets us choose whether or not we do good or evil with these things, not just physical things either.  Does the bible even talk about the "evolution" of us as far as our scientists picking apart what he has made and the way he has made those things work?  Does the bible talk about space travels and the possibilities of us going to another planet to live?  I am still reading it but these thoughts have lifted a huge weight off my chest!! I cannot choose a labeld religion but I can choose a lifestyle that allows me to spiritually enlighten myself from various resources and still incorporate my beliefs of there being a God, Jesus and our responsibility to live holy and as one with the earth.  Isn't that how God truly intened it from the time of Adam and Eve. 

I am sorry if I have offended any religions, I was not demeaning anyones beliefs or faith, we all need faith to work how we see fit for us as individuals to cope and handle everything sent our way.  I look forward to hearing someone else's opinion on this and thank you for reading...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 08, 2010 - 8:43AM #2
dreamhealth

I generally go by dogmatic religion called Catholic church. With dogma, which means a revealed truth defined, you can be on solid ground. I sometimes depart from it. I believe that I am led by God to see truths in other places , other teachers. If what I find is true, it will agree with dogmatic truth--at least not contradict it. It's just that more notions that help me can be found beyond the church. Yet, I can stay consistently commited to something that has a tradition, a sure anchor. (not that I'm not sometimes confused)?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 08, 2010 - 9:04AM #3
Marcion

Truth has to be defined to be valid, for instance, Mathematics is truth, Religious dogma is doo doo.

Catholic dogma is only interested in preserving the institution and truth be damned.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 15, 2010 - 3:43PM #4
Betty

Truth does have to be proved to be valid...I thank u for posting and for me I believe differently than Catholics, personally.  I have recently found an enlightening path living holistically... I see that way of life beneficial to all and do not fear judgement or critisism for choosing ONE whether it is right or wrong.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 21, 2010 - 3:18PM #5
Don

Betty,

Why choose a religion?  Good question.   I guess it depends on what you're looking for.  If you're spiritually minded, you don't need to choose a religion. In my view, your relationship with 'god', the universe, whatever you want to call it, is not dependent upon such a choice at all.  Your spiritual connectedness is dependent upon your drive for the truth.  Keep that up, and don't worry too much about organized religion unless you're simply looking for stock answers to questions that are sometimes - unanswerable.  Good luck.

Don 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 23, 2010 - 7:02PM #6
Tammy

Hi All,

Why choose a labeled religion??  You got me.  I was raised  Lutheran, Catholic, and Baptist, so the way I got it figured, by the time I was old enough (18) to make my own decisions, I was thoroughly confused.  If that wasn't bad enough, when I was dating a gentleman, I went to chuch with him, he went to the penticostal church.  I searched for a number of years,  giving up completely on religion and spirituality in 1996.  In 1999, I gave my life to the care of G_D, again in a penticostal church.  I was forbidden by my then, husband to continue to go, so I quit, until 2001, when I asked him for a divorce, and moved out.  My now, 2nd x-husband, brought me back to the baptist and lutheran churches.  I gave up on rligion and spirituality again, around the time I threw him out in December.  I have recently  decided that spirituality not religion is best.  I use a combination of beliefs to keep me spiritually fit.  Those beliefs range from astrology, to holistic living, to christianity, to yoga, to etc. 

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2010 - 1:48AM #7
Ray2go

I believe that God, or whatever you want to think there is, is way beyond our possible understanding at this time. We don't even understand the human body yet.

The great religions contain similar messages about how we should live to help move towards better understanding but the dogmas and rituals make them less usable. The idea that some of them believe that theirs is the only true way is ridiculous, how can there be only one way of looking at something infinite.

I have had some beautiful spiritual experiences, they would not translate into human terms. A persons experience and relationship with creation and the creator are their own. You can never really express it. I could try for hours to explain the taste of mead to you but you still would not know what it tasted like until you experienced it.

Don't try to tell me what God is or what 'He' wants, you don't know, you would not be able to explain it if you did.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2010 - 7:42PM #8
nadenka

Hi Betty,

I agree with Don and Ray.  "A persons experience and relationship with creation and the creator are their own."

I also believe that the Bible has been rewritten so many times and it has been reworded. Try to compare few bible verses in few different bibbles and you will notice the words are not the same. Which makes the meaning of the verse different.  

Myself I believe a little of everything and it works for me. (Nature, God, etc.) 

Good luck in your search...and yes dont give up...the peace is there you will know when you find it. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2010 - 12:36PM #9
Bezant

Jun 20, 2010 -- 7:42PM, nadenka wrote:

Hi Betty,

I agree with Don and Ray.  "A persons experience and relationship with creation and the creator are their own."

I also believe that the Bible has been rewritten so many times and it has been reworded. Try to compare few bible verses in few different bibbles and you will notice the words are not the same. Which makes the meaning of the verse different.  

Myself I believe a little of everything and it works for me. (Nature, God, etc.) 

Good luck in your search...and yes dont give up...the peace is there you will know when you find it. 

Hello N and all,

You lot probably judged from my avatar that I carry a different opinion. I understand what some of you've said because I shared similar perspectives, but as one might find Christian dogma as "doo-doo" (collective respect being so rare), or Biblical discrepancies, etc., I've my criticism in response to the post.

Yeah, everybody must agree with his spiritual life, feel at home. But I disagree that comfort is the end-all, that it comes down solely to a satisfying individual experience (e.g, "do what suits you"), which sounds like I'm hearing (or rather, reading). Furthermore, If you prefer "unlabeled belief" over "labeled" religion, you are then under another label.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 31, 2011 - 7:32PM #10
Mewxacata

Choosing a religous label is not a good idea.  For one, you must be sure about your religious beliefs, even if it's "spiritual."  Second, you must be commited to that belief of choice.  Third, you must be responsible for what you believe in.

Tell me about it.  I'm a New Ager.

Raven

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook