Page 3 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
4 years ago  ::  May 18, 2010 - 12:52AM #21
RevDorris

People say they do not support various things.

They do nothing to promote a change.

Without action to change you support the status quo.

You are counted as neither hot nor cold.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 22, 2010 - 4:43PM #22
findingmyselfgod

Well consider me either hot or cold. If theism is required, I'm out.

Change itself is not inherently good. If we can't find a better change than that, then UU deserves to disappear.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 22, 2010 - 5:44PM #23
Jupiter6208

So what do you suggest?

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

What the heart loves, the will chooses, and the mind justifies.”

― Thomas Cranmer
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 23, 2010 - 9:48AM #24
findingmyselfgod

... the honest search for truth, and tolerance for each other's honest searching, are our values, not a particular belief. That is what makes UU unique among the religions.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 23, 2010 - 10:20AM #25
Jupiter6208

I have to agree with you there, i myself is looking into the UUA from what i have read about it so far it seems to fit into my  life long belief system  i think it would be a good thing for my 2 year old  as far as getting a balanced  view of different Beliefs and spirituality since she is in a multifaith Family. what do you think?

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

― Thomas Cranmer
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 23, 2010 - 4:27PM #26
Jcarlinbn

May 23, 2010 -- 9:48AM, findingmyselfgod wrote:

... the honest search for truth, and tolerance for each other's honest searching, are our values, not a particular belief. That is what makes UU unique among the religions. 

Amen.  All UU churches that seem to work have an eclectic mix of religious practices with none dominant and all respected especially including none.  If any group or individual feels like an outsider looking in on a ritual or religious practice it is an indication that there is something wrong in the congregation.  Forrest Church's Cathedral of the World, even had windows for atheists, so his theistic assumptions were not objectionable to this atheist.   

Jcarlinbn, community moderator
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 24, 2010 - 11:19AM #27
findingmyselfgod

May 23, 2010 -- 10:20AM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

I have to agree with you there, i myself is looking into the UUA from what i have read about it so far it seems to fit into my  life long belief system  i think it would be a good thing for my 2 year old  as far as getting a balanced  view of different Beliefs and spirituality since she is in a multifaith Family. what do you think?

I think many (maybe even most) UU congregations try to be a place where a child (or an adult) can get a balanced view of different beliefs, but of course there are some where you might not get that.

I hope you do, though. IMHO, it is a very worthy goal as a parent.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 24, 2010 - 11:41AM #28
Jupiter6208

just like any other church i guess i will have to go and visit a couple of churches and see how they operate.

― Thomas Cranmer
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2010 - 6:39PM #29
Kimrdhbsms

Yes, and make sure you visit more than one and more than once -- they vary a lot from congregation to congregation and also from week to week.  If you don't hear what you want one week, you might hear it next week.  The person who speaks from the pulpit speaks for themselves, not for all of us.  If you like to open-mindedly listen to the ideas of others and to use that in your continuing refinement of your own ideas, then UU might be what you want.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2010 - 9:05AM #30
RevDorris

Focus on things you would like to change.

Approach each with the attitude of love.

Show and demonstrate there is a better way.

Change will not happen if you do nothing.

Each of us has our own perspective.

We each see a small part of the picture.

Together we can know the way to go.

Our joint knowledge can overcome obstacles.

Follow the lead of your heart.

Develop a plan with your mind.

Find balance and harmony with others.

Your pathway will become smooth.

The journey through life has its ups and downs.

We often learn by making mistakes.

Making corrections is a part of life.

We do not have to be perfect.

To the One we are all loved children.

This cannot be taken away from you.

Whatever you do God is watching.

Let Him see you do your best to be a worthy child.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook