Switch to Forum Live View Healing using Seiðr
5 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2010 - 4:52PM #1
weissha

Hi everyone,

I have a question I am hoping some of  you might be able to help me with.  I recognize this does not necessarily fit neatly into Shamanism (and I also posted it to the Asatru forum) but I thought your path might be similar enough that some of you might have some experiences with it.  I have been reading a lot about  Seiðr but cannot figure out how you would use it to perform magic other  than pathworking and divination.  I was hoping that I could use it for  healing eventually.  I would like to get started with it and realize  that it will take time but so far I haven't even figured out what to do  once I am in a trance.  Any suggestions on how to get started?

Harry

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2010 - 5:40PM #2
Kay404
Hi, Harry,

Welcome to the Shamanism board.

Some of the Seidhr practitioners who used to post on the shamanism board used rune singing for healing.  This makes sense to me, since I have a similar practice using an ancient Celtic rune-like "alphabet."

I've never known someone to practice Seidhr without having some in-person instruction.  What draws you to the idea of Seidhr in particular, as opposed to some other form of shamanic practice?
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2010 - 9:45PM #3
Nay_ho_tze
Hi Weissha - Welcome!

As my path is very different from what you seek,
I look forward to remaining a lurker
on this discourse between you and Kay404,
and whoever else might happen along ...
good luck!

NHT
host
=]
Nay_ho_tze
Beliefnet host
designer and artist
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2010 - 11:23PM #4
weissha

That is a question I have thought about much as well Kay404.  I began studying Wicca years ago and, while I gained many useful things from it, I found that it was not my path.  I think at this point I don't neatly fit into any category.  Different magicks I have been shown within Wicca always felt kind of artificial to me and would not work for me.  The same was true for many of the gods used in Wicca.  Then I found Freyja and I have considered myself her follower ever since.  She feels familiar and attentive.  Along the way I was beginning to read up on her and found that she had taught the Aesir Seidr magick.  The little I have read about Seidr also feels innately familiar to me.  It feels like something that for, some reason, makes sense emotionally.  I have no other rational arguments for wanting to learn it but then I'm thinking: I have felt internal resistance to the other types of magick I have been shown and Freyja leads me to find Seidr, which seems intuitively familiar.  That must be enough to try and find out more about it.  The healing thing is just an example, I have no specific goal.  I would just like to know how one would go about pursuing purposes other than divination and pathworking. I hope that makes sense.

Harry

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2010 - 12:26AM #5
Nay_ho_tze
Weissha writes: The little I have read about Seidr also feels innately familiar to me.  
It feels like something that for, some reason, makes sense emotionally.
I have no other rational arguments for wanting to learn it
It is most probable that you have practiced this discipline
in a previous lifetime ...
and if so, you were quite adept in fact -
an accomplished, respected (for lack of a better word) priest
(actually I'm seeing a priestess)

...I know: I said I'd be quiet
*resumes lurking*
=]
Nay_ho_tze
Beliefnet host
designer and artist
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2010 - 10:17AM #6
weissha

Lol, good lurking there, almost didn't see ya.  My pendulum and my spirit guides (somehow I don't like to call them that, is sounds weird to me) say that I was a follower of Freyja (and female at the time), so I was probably a völva.  I haven't really asked them about whether I was good at Seething but since it feels so familiar I suspect so.  Here's another interesting thing, when I met my first spirit guide (shudder at the term) it turned out to be a black dog, wolf, coyote or something (not like I'm zoologist) by the name Yane.  The second time I did a guided visualization I ran into a crow called Abraxis (which is weird, I'm Austrian, my mother tongue is German, and I definitely never heard that word before).  Yane stayed around for a while and ever so often will answer questions.  I haven't really talked to Abraxis again after that first time.  I keep wondering whether Yane is my fylgja and I just don't know it.

Harry

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2010 - 9:26PM #7
Nay_ho_tze
Weissha writes: Lol, good lurking there, almost didn't see ya.  
Yeah, invisibility is my strong point ...
hehe

Weissha writes: ...spirit guides (somehow I don't like to call them that...
AIUI, these beings are known by many names...
I often use ally or helper ...
Have you visited the Spirit Guide forum?

Weissha writes: ...so I was probably a völva.  
I knew 'priest/priestess' was the wrong word ...
=]
Btw, the Past Lives and Reincarnation forum might also interest you.
'been kinda slow over there
so new blood would be a welcomed shot in the arm...

Weissha writes: Yane stayed around for a while
and ever so often will answer questions...
I keep wondering whether Yane is my fylgja
and I just don't know it.

My impressions?
Sometimes we can't see the mountain
because we're standing on the top of it...
=]

IMvhO Yane seems mighty patient
for having no vested interest in you ...

=]
Nay_ho_tze
Beliefnet host
designer and artist
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2010 - 11:52PM #8
weissha

Thanks, I'll check those boards out.  You know what?  Here's a brilliant approach that took me ages to figure out (how many Ph.D. does it take to ...).  Why don't I just ask Yane next time I talk to him?  I have asked my spiritguides (shudder) whether they can help me with Seidr and they pretty much declined.  They said that they cannot help me because they do not possess that knowledge (or they might simply not want to because they are worried it would be bad for me).  Either way, I'm committed to learning.  Maybe Yane can give me some answers that will help getting me started. Who knows.  Just out of interest, what do Shamans do when they go into a trance?  Where do you go?  How do you secure your body to keep other entities out of your body?

Harry

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2010 - 11:39AM #9
Halom

By mentioning Seething as related to Seidhr, I assume that you are familiar with Jan Fries's attitude towards Seidhr(that it involves seething). If that is true, then I must say that from my expirience Seething is its own teacher. Like ayuaska is its own teacher. You do seething and it teaches you about what to do next.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook