Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: Introduction
4 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2010 - 9:18AM #21
LimeTwyst

Hello, I have had this forum bookmarked for several years and I come by to read every few months, but I have yet to say hello - so "Hello" Smile

I consider myself UU, have not joined and have only attended twice - once for a funeral and another time just to try it out. There is a huge UU church here in Tulsa - that's the one I went to, and it's a bit intimidating to go alone. Anyway, someday I would like to be more involved, but for now I am content reading and contemplating at home.

I was raised fundamental Pentecostal, frequently waking at night terrified that my parents had been taken away by the resurrection, and was absolutely bound and determined to not raise my kids with that kind of fear (and also I was determined to raise them to be accepting of other religions and peoples), so although we went to a Christian church a few times when they were younger, we stopped when we got uncomfortable with the ideas the kids were being taught. We've been church-less as a family since the kids were 5 & 7, but we talk about religion frequently in our house.

The exploratory nature of UU draws me in (and the concept that we who explore thusly can flock together peacefully even though we may differ greatly in beliefs), and I would like to share the contemplation of life and purpose with others of similar bent.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2010 - 6:01PM #22
RevDorris

Welcome to our little corner of the world.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2010 - 7:43PM #23
Randomcoolzip2

Hi.  I used to post on Beliefnet years ago and got away from it.  It's been long enough that I had to re-register because my old user ID expired and I couldn't get it back.  Coming back now to see what the scene is like.  I'm an active UU "lifer" living in central Massachusetts.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2010 - 7:14AM #24
Orbitalpoet

Hi all,

First, thanks to Jessa for starting this thread!

It was only a couple of days ago that I stumbled upon UU (and beliefnet). The ideas I have come across here so far seem to resonate with me in a way that nothing else ever has.

The thing is, there is no UU church anywhere near where I live. There is a 'Unitarian' church, which does use the term 'Universalist' in some of its literature, but by the descriptions of services, etc., this seems to be some form of Christianity.

I tend more towards a 'looser' spirituality, haven't found my way exactly yet, so it is hard to say what I believe!

I guess I will have to go it alone for now, but at least I have found this forum. Will be looking for any books or online material on UU that I can get to give me a start.

Thanks all, bye for now.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 20, 2010 - 4:04PM #25
Crystalmichelle

Hello. I was a born into and raised in the Unitarian Universalist tradition. As a teenager, I explored modern paganism, as well as Protestant Christianity, and for a while I attended a Pentecostal church. Since that time, I've studied/encountered many other religions and practice, and after a great deal of thought, have returned to the religion of my childhood. I suppose I'm an example of the old addage 'Once was, always will be.' I will say though, that it feels more like a faith now than it ever did as a child. I suppose it's because having had some [more] experience of the world and in life, I'm better able to appreciate what Unitarian Universalism stands for.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2011 - 11:36AM #26
Msylvestre

Oct 12, 2010 -- 12:51PM, prayerwriter wrote:

Greetings from Iowa-I, too, find that the UU is the only "church" where I feel like I fit.  Unfortunately, there are not too many UU churches in Iowa, and none where I am.  Does anyone know how one begins establishing a church?

Greetings from Nuremberg, Germany!

Nobody seems to have posted a reply, so if prayerwriter is still looking, I'd recommend the Church of the Larger Fellowship -- it's online, and they're revamping their website right now to offer more facilities, and they also have resources for starting up a church.

I come from a Catholic family, and have been fluctuating between the Episcopal and Unitarian churches for years, but after much consideration -- I've always felt uncomfortable with the role St. Paul played in establishing Christianity, and recently read a polemic that completely disillusioned me on the point.

Also, while a church that maintains  apostolic succession provides a wonderful sense of continuity, it does mean that it's handicapped when it comes to establishing missions (most money goes towards paying for a priest).

While I really appreciate high-church liturgies, I'm finding it more and more difficult to rationalize saying the creed and accepting the sacramental nature of the Eucharist (sometimes reading does make one lose one's faith!).

Looking forward to staying around for good this time, and of getting to know you all here!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 28, 2011 - 10:26PM #27
Taciturnu

It's been a while since I kicked around on here and surprisingly, I don't think I ever posted on a Unitarian Universalist thread.

I stumbled across UUism a few years ago and haven't looked back. I was raised Catholic, but I do come from a long line of heretics; when I started attending "church," I realized I was a descendant of John Lothropp, the man who founded the church I attend in 1644 here on Cape Cod. (I just love how things come full circle!) 

It is surprising to me that UU congregations are not more full, since there is a huge number of people who call themselves "spiritual-but-not-religious" and (I think) would do quite well in one of our congregations. Not surprisingly, I've known many people who did not have any idea of its existence. Up until I started attending I had no idea of the basis, either. 

I'm interested in talking to other UUs online, to hear of how their congregations operate, how their services are run and what their general spiritual ideas are. 

That last sentence sounds a bit like an online personal, so I'll continue with the theme and say I look forward to hearing from you! Laughing

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2011 - 11:36PM #28
Iseek
Hello, my friends!  I am a new seeker and have found myself among the Unitarian Universalist, and what a wonderful group of folks indeed!  I am 24, blissfully married to my love, Amy, and living in Central New York.  I am not sure where my spiritual journey is taking me yet, but I have an affinity for several paths.  I can't wait to talk with you fine folks.  Peace be with you all!
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2011 - 8:25PM #29
eclecticjim

Hi to all the "newer" UU's, I have been a UU for over 40 years. Like most of you I am a "comeouter" who found a wonderful safe place to ask questions, admit my ignorance and grow my personal workable faith. I hope you each find  UU to be welcoming and safe.  Allow me to make a couple suggestions as you begin anew in your journey to find meaning in your life.  1. Don't be too quick to completely throw out your entire past religious lessons, there may still be some good stuff, they just need to be pondered abit.  2. Read, read, read ALL the words of wisdom of the ages, past and present. 3. Don't be afraid to admit your questions and ignorance.  I trust you have read and pondered the Seven Principles found in the beginning of the church song book. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2011 - 11:31PM #30
Aaron

Hi everybody, this is my first post on Beliefnet. I don't know what I'm doing, where I'm going, or if I'll ever be able to find this thread again - but you gotta start somewhere, right? I've been a UU for about 3 years, having been a fundamentalist Christian for most of my life. I call myself an atheist, but I think I'm outgrowing the label and am finding "humanist" to be somewhat more accurate. The reason I am on Beliefnet is because I am tired of participating in the war between Atheists and Christians. Most of my life I fought on one side, then the other. I'd like to get some discussion going with moderate Christians to help me find some middle ground with my Christian friends and relatives, but I thought I'd find myself a home base and post in the UU forums first. So hello. If anyone feels inclined to send me a private message or friend me please do so because I don't know anyone at Beliefnet yet.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook