Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: Introduction
4 years ago  ::  May 22, 2010 - 5:49PM #11
Jupiter6208

I have been thinking like a UU all my life  so maybe it's for me  i was raised Christian and my wife is jewish  and our 2 yr old daughter is learning from both i think it would be perfect for her how does one join a uu church?

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2010 - 2:40PM #12
Sarah

Hi, I'm new here... I've recently started going to a Unitarian church in the UK and I love it. I was formerly an evangelical Christian in my youth and more recently was into Islam, but in the end I don't believe any religion is Truth. I am happy making sense of life as best I can within a Unitarian community.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2010 - 3:19AM #13
Notbisyb

Just checking things out with your religious organization.  I am rebuilding my faith in a higher power and started at the bare basics with atheism.  After some study and contemplation, I'd call myself (somewhat humorously) a spiritual atheist.  I don't know that I believe in an omniscient "God" but I do believe in a loving and creative force... I am a social creature however so it would be nice to find a place where I could question and communicate and feel a part of something bigger.  Just doing some spiritual wandering...and thinking about attending a service.  I know that there is a congreagtion in my neighborhood.  Now to get up the nerve to go... 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2010 - 1:52AM #14
Gingersnapwa

Hi. I have recently become a member of a UU church. I was a Christian for many years, then yoga, buddhism, and too many unanswered prayers led me away from that one path. My main interest is Integral Spirituality, in melding the common principles of the major religions together, instead of fighting about the differences.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2010 - 9:11AM #15
kuriboshoe

Hi, I'm introducing myself. I consider myself UU, but I haven't formally joined the church yet. But I've been spottily attending for a couple of years, a UU minister performed our wedding, and currently I'm taking a wonderful spirituality adult ed class at the church, called "Spirit of Life." It's fantastic - focused on creating your own versions of the concept of the Sacred, creating rituals, creating blessings. Very hands-on.

I've been recently experimenting with concepts of God/The Sacred/Spirit of Life, and I'm looking for a place to discuss it more. I typically identify agnostic; while some version of the Sacred appeal to me, I don't expect to ever know.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2010 - 9:32AM #16
kuriboshoe

Jun 12, 2010 -- 3:19AM, Notbisyb wrote:

After some study and contemplation, I'd call myself (somewhat humorously) a spiritual atheist.  I don't know that I believe in an omniscient "God" but I do believe in a loving and creative force...

I might agree with you. I've been experimenting with an idea I've been calling "the layer," a sort of ethereal layer of nature that is outside what we can see, but something we can feel.  The web that connects us to each other as humans, to nature, and what bonds us in a spiritual way with our spouses and our children. "The sacred" or "Aether" might be better terms.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2010 - 8:10PM #17
Tesserae

hi everyone.

I've been out of (anykindof) church for a very long time. I was raised extremely fundamental with sexual, physical, etc. abuse and lots more crap.

I recently partially attended a UU service, and loved it.

I'm hoping to keep going back, getting my anxiety under control enough to be able to stay the whole time, and finally finding a home.

I already know this is it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2010 - 12:51PM #18
prayerwriter

Greetings from Iowa-I, too, find that the UU is the only "church" where I feel like I fit.  Unfortunately, there are not too many UU churches in Iowa, and none where I am.  Does anyone know how one begins establishing a church?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2010 - 5:55PM #19
KathyHL

I used to go to UU of Arlington (VA) in the mid-90s, but fell away from it....life intervened in the form of divorce, moving, and other stuff that distracted me from spirituality.  I'm now located near Richmond, VA and thinking about trying one of the two nearby UU churches - there's one in Richmond itself and one in Glen Allen.  Is anyone familiar with either of them?  Or is anyone near Richmond, VA and consider themself UU (whether they attend church or not?)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2010 - 9:02PM #20
Jupiter6208

Dec 29, 2009 -- 2:02PM, Jessa wrote:

Michteach1972 and Wbsterling:

It seems to me that UU may be a good fit for you guys. :)

Michteach1972: Have you checked out the Unity church?  I don't know much about them myself, but they seem to lean a lot more towards Christianity and a connection with Jesus than UU's do, from my experience.  I HAVE heard of UU Christians, but I am beginning to think they are mythical creatures. I have never encountered one. :)

I consider myself Christian  that would be the 10%? lol   but i feel very Unitarian as well.

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook