Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: Introduction
5 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2009 - 7:51PM #1
Jessa

Hi everyone!

I didn't see one particular "Introduce Yourself"-type thread, so I figured I'd start one since I want to introduce myself anyway. Smile

I just joined Beliefnet.  I have been looking for an online community of UUs, and I couldn't find one, so I hoped to find a thriving one here.  It looks like I did!  I have been a part of my UU church for about three years now.  I live in Dallas, TX.  I guess I am here to "meet" other UUs outside my little church circle.  There aren't very many of us around here.  So, hi.  I look forward to getting to know you all. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 19, 2009 - 9:28AM #2
Michteach1972

Hello to all!  This thread is a wonderful idea.

I have not joined the UU as an offical member, but I think that what I know, believe, and have faith in definitely is part of this organization.  This fits for this portion of my life.

I am a former non-practicing Catholic, and have studied the beginnings of Christianity and Catholicism.  The first meaning of Catholic is universal.  What Jesus did was challenge the social structure of the culture he lived in overall.  The current culture of materialism, greed, and media obession in America is of great concern to me.  For me personally I connect to Jesus, yet can glee truth from many other spiritual pathways.  I even understand those who do not believe in God yet seek a spiritual way of life. 

I am on a spiritual quest right now trying to make my own personal connection to the divine.  I have no need or want to influence or change anyone else, and that leads me to this community.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 20, 2009 - 9:46AM #3
Brownowl33

HI there!  Do you go to First Dallas Unitarian in Highland Park?  That is my home church, too, though I haven't been in a few weeks.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 27, 2009 - 10:19AM #4
Wbsterling

So at this late stage in my life, after meandering through most Eastern religions, after a Jesuit education that posited questions but no answers, I find myself looking for a more settled spiritual base. So here I am, wondering if UU would work for me . . . structure does not appeal to me so I need something that allows for freedom . . . I am looking, I think.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2009 - 1:48PM #5
Jessa

Dec 20, 2009 -- 9:46AM, Brownowl33 wrote:

HI there!  Do you go to First Dallas Unitarian in Highland Park?  That is my home church, too, though I haven't been in a few weeks.

Yes, I do!  I have been slacking a bit in attending lately.  I can't seem to find my "niche" there, you know?  I taught RE for two years, so this year I knew I needed a break.  But since I don't have a reason to HAVE to be there every week, I find I stay in bed more often than not. :/

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2009 - 2:02PM #6
Jessa

Michteach1972 and Wbsterling:

It seems to me that UU may be a good fit for you guys. :)

Michteach1972: Have you checked out the Unity church?  I don't know much about them myself, but they seem to lean a lot more towards Christianity and a connection with Jesus than UU's do, from my experience.  I HAVE heard of UU Christians, but I am beginning to think they are mythical creatures. I have never encountered one. :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2010 - 6:23PM #7
Driab

I just found out about UU. Going to my first service tomorrow. I hope it works for me considering I need a spiritual rewaking reborn into my life. I lost faith in Christianity due to experiences and understanding. But I believe in God. I know I tapped into something and my soul yearns for something bigger than myself. Would love to meet other people who share the same beliefs as me or to meet people who want to share there beliefs with me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2010 - 6:13AM #8
Crescendo

Hey-

I'm Megan, a 17 year old from NJ on a quest to find a group of like minded spiritual individuals as qI struggle with Depression. I'm going to check out my town's UU church this morning, and am really excited that I found a faith that is open minded as I am. I love the core principle that everyone is inherently good. I like to write prayers, meditate, and do reflective writing in my spiritual practices. Laughing

-Megan

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2010 - 3:40PM #9
Syzygy

saw a video of the UU and thought it was for me. hope all goes well.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 15, 2010 - 3:00PM #10
Thomasina-eve-

Thought I introduce myself.  I have already posted a couple time on the UU threads.

I was raised in the UU church - my parnets went back to the UU church when I was in the 4th grade.  So, that makes me pretty much a life long UU.  I been looking on the internet to connect with other UU's. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook